i30 Owners Club

Wanted: Rear spoiler

Offline Alesand

• 2nd Gear
Looking for a rear spoiler, but I´m afraid of drilling in the hatch. More like rust in the holes. I found this spoier with 3M tape but I am not sure if its some kind of wholesale site?  :question:
http://himotors.en.ec21.com/I30_Spoiler--2905323_2886188.html

Does anyone seen this kind at another place?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I suppose the clips would help, but I wouldn't want to travel at 120kph with a spoiler fastened mainly using sticky tape :eek:

And not from a company that has only been in business for 7 months.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Mate, I just drilled my own spoiler, I didn't find it too difficult. Make sure you've got the right drill bit type first (ie metal drill rather than timber boring drill). Secondly, use a small drill bit to make a guide point in the metal (much easier to get the exact right spot using the template then). Thirdly, before drilling each hole coat the paint with an anti-rust spray (use a bit of masking tape to make sure it doesn't drip down onto your window) - this spray will both lubricate your drillbit as it drills and will obviously serve to anti-rust. Finally, spray the holes comprehensively with the anti-rust spray before putting in the screw-locks. I also sprayed the screws, and after I'd finished screwing them in I sprayed on top of them as well.

Truthfully, it's a pretty easy process.

And I'd never trust 3M tape to hold onto my spoiler at 120km/hr. Especially when it's attached to a non-porous gloss paint surface.

Offline Alesand

• 2nd Gear
Hmm... Maybe you're right? Thanks Rubix for the detailed  info. I like the idea with plenty of anti-rost spray. I'm just afraid of the corrosion. I live near the sea with damp winter climate and n top of that we are very generous with salt on the road. The last thing I want is a new, good looking car with a rusty hatch... 

Well, I can admit that the tape solution does not impress.

Suggestions where to buy the spoiler then? Think I remember someone here purchased it on ebay?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal