i30 Owners Club

Buying new Antennae

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hiya Folks...

Been a while since I've been about, sorry. I need an answer regarding the thread size for the i30 antennae.
I'm currently in South Korea and was looking at buying a local antennae that's much cheaper and longer than stock.
Alot of ebay ad and gmarket ads offer both a 6mm and 5mm adapter for AM whips.
However after finding the one I want, the ad asks me to choose the right size.

Would anyone happen to know which size thread I need please?

I'll be ordering tonight and a few other gadgets - i'll post more up when I get home.

Thanks for you help.  :cool:
  • 2.0 Petrol Hatch - Brisbane

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I bought two from England,one's Rusty recommended,they are far better than the original,I'll have to go looking for the link for you,mind you the only thing I had to do was trim a small amount off of the old antenna's so the new ones would seal properly.but they have improved the reception of the radio as I do a lot of country driving

Here you go found it Rubber Black Replacement BEE Sting Aerial Antenna Mast Hyundai I30 | eBay
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks Rick, i tried to reply last night but had difficulties.
Your post suggests you didnt need any adqpter parts and that a 5mm (as pictured by your ad) was all that was needed.

I was kinda hoping someone else may have posted overnight with a definative answer, as i postponed ordering till this morning. Might just call Hyundai.

Thanks anyway.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I was gonna reply and even found the original antenna but then I vaguely recalled that when I replaced the antenna previously it came with different adapters so was actually then unsure of what bit came with what....  :undecided:

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.....  :-[

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
No problem Rusty, i just thought hyundai would all make the same mounting dimentions across most of their cars. Their advice here was to call Aust.  :scared:

Here is the gmarket ad - http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=397378262

Now it looks like it comes with adapters, but before buying you need to specify whether 6 or 5 mm. Thats where i got lost.

Both ads look like their antennae come with female ends which you need to screw in the adapter ~ i think i was confused last night.

Rusty or Rick, are you able to unscrew your masts and see if you have a 5 to 6 adapter, or a 5 to 5 adapter?

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Ok, i now understand why they offer two sizes.
Its for whether you have male or female bases.
If the aussie i30 has a male base, it is critical to purchase the correct size female mast.
However if the aussie i30 has female base, then through the use of the adapters, any size will fit.

My new request is to ask all aussie i30 owners to see if we have male or female bases.
I have older 2009 model. Its been years since i unscrewed the mast, at a guess it was a female base.
But would love a definate confirmation before i purchase.

Thank you

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My new request is to ask all aussie i30 owners to see if we have male or female bases.
I have older 2009 model.

Anyone at all?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
you only have to undo the Arial to find out,but if you have the older FD,the base is female,when you buy a replacement(the link I suggested)you will have female to female,this is why they have supplied TWO different adaptors,as they are designed to fit multipal vehicles,they are easily interchanged
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks Rick, im about 8000kms from my car at the moment, hence why ive been asking here.
You'd think i could just walk down the street here and check, but they're few and far between.
But thanks anyway.  :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Thanks Rick, im about 8000kms from my car at the moment, hence why ive been asking here.
You'd think i could just walk down the street here and check, but they're few and far between.

Dah!! You never said you didn't have access to your car,now all the questions make perfect sense  :lol:

Offline Eyethirty

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Well, lol... I never said that exactly. But i live in Brisbane, just currently in SK (1st post)

Thanks again  :victory:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Dah!! You never said you didn't have access to your car,now all the questions make perfect sense  :lol:

:Jaw:

I sussed that out unless he smuggled his car in his luggage
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC
you only have to undo the Arial to find out,but if you have the older FD,the base is female,when you buy a replacement(the link I suggested)you will have female to female,this is why they have supplied TWO different adaptors,as they are designed to fit multipal vehicles,they are easily interchanged

On our Nov 2013 i30 GD Hatch the roof-mounted base is female and has a 5mm thread. Sorry for the late response.
  • Subaru Forester, i30 Elite 1.8L Petrol Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal