i30 Owners Club

17" SR alloys onto a standard SX help.

Schumi5 · 40 · 14007

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Ok so after 12 months we are ready to fit these beasts  but after calling 1 hyundai dealer they were not sure what i was talking about :) anyone else care to shed light on if i need these wheel spacers. I cant even find the link anymore on the hyundai website where is stated the following last time i was looking into it 12months ago.

"*All 17” Alloy Wheels must be sold with a spacer
(No. AL522 1H100). Two spacers are needed per set
of four 17” Alloy Wheels.

has anyone else fitted the SR alloys onto the standard SX with or without the spacers?

Thanks all!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't have any idea why but the 15" rims have 47P (Positive) offset.
The 16" 50P
and the 17"  56P

To me that means that if you don't use the spacers, the tyres will rub somewhere.
The spacers must be available from Hyundai as the vehicles coming OE with 17" wheels would have them fitted.

Your info that 2 spacers are required per set of 4 whhels indicates the spacers are fitted to the front wheels where clearance problems would probably rear their head on full lock.

You can see what offset is here.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The 16" 50P
and the 17"  56P

I thought it was to keep the outside face of the tyre the same distance from the outer edge of the wheel arch because the tyre (wheel rim) widths differ.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The 16" 50P
and the 17"  56P

I thought it was to keep the outside face of the tyre the same distance from the outer edge of the wheel arch because the tyre (wheel rim) widths differ.

Yeah. makes sense. Except the spacers probably have a slightly negative effect on that.
I was going to say the spacers would offset that slightly. :-[ :P

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Hi Schumi5,
I had the 17"SR alloys fitted to my SLX (16") when I first
bought my car in March 2008. So it was some time ago, but I
recall the dealer saying that there was some adjustment that had
to be done at the front to allow proper clearance. Unfortunately I can't
recall the details of what was done. I have had the front wheels off
and there is no spacer between the alloy and the wheel hub, so if it
is a spacer that is used then it is not on the outside of the hub.
Don't know if this helps or not.
Russ

• i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^
Interesting.

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hmmm still no closer to finding out.. even the tyre place was not sure if and what is needed. i will have to give a couple more hyundai dealers around the area a call.. i mean i have the part number and all but even when i google that nothing comes up. if i get an outcome tomorrow ill let you guys know. thanks again for the replies!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We will be interested to hear the final answer so we can put something permanent in our technical section.. :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If we're not busy at work next week AND I remember, I'll talk to Speedy Wheels. If they supply a 17" aftermarket wheel for the i30 (which they do), you'd expect they'd need to provide spacers as well or the offset would be wrong.

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
went to Hyundai parts today, explained the situation and again a semi-black look. it seems the part exists however they have never ordered them before. When you buy a set directly of Hyundai they come already with the spacers themselves and they had no idea how to look up the in system as they are not sure what to look up. They are going to email Hyundai and see what they say. another weekend.. and no rims on car lol

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Year2008 i30 Accesory Broshure

heres a copy of a pamphlet online. there listed as required for all 17".

but wouldn't that mean that unless they were taken off somehow, every set in existence would already have them? Either from the factory or dealer?

Oh and a copy of the post re the TSB from this forum here: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3380.0

Not bad for a bloke on nightwork huh?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
i was just about to post the same link proving i wasn't going nuts and that i did actually read it somewhere lol... but yeah apparently when u order them from hyundai they come with them. i got mine off ebay last year and i just double checked and they don't have the spacers on them. pre-delivery guy seems to think they might be blue in color..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i was sure those spacers are for the tie rod ends on the steering rack,not actual rim spacer plates.  :idea:  the Sr rims hit on the inner guards when you turn full lock on the steering wheel.  :wink: putting a spacer on the rims is illegal. 
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
i was sure those spacers are for the tie rod ends on the steering rack,not actual rim spacer plates.  :idea:  the Sr rims hit on the inner guards when you turn full lock on the steering wheel.  ;) putting a spacer on the rims is illegal.
I thought so too (about the illegality).
But I can't imagine what sort of implement would fit onto the tie rod ends or their mounting points to change the track. And because the rack is not in line with the axle line, adjusting at that point would only work one way, and lengthen the throw on the opposite lock. Or am I completely bonkers.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
we need a member with an Sr to rip off a front wheel and check out whats going on.  :idea: :winker:  I'm going bonkers trying to figure this out also Trev.  :wacko:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
ok looks like we are making good progress courtesy of another thread in the modification section

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3380.msg129313#new

it seems in fact its a tie rod spacer, not an actual wheel spacer itself if that makes sense

now all i need to find out is

A) if the parts are able to be ordered separately from the alloys when buying from hyundai

B) if someone other than hyundai can do this particular mod before putting the wheels on(i.e tyre place)

otherwise worse case scenario i will be buying the tyres from one place.. then taking to hyudai. all this and their not even going on my car :( lol

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
According to the i30 brochure that I have here (and have just about memorised) the "chrome alloy" wheels which are standard on the SR and Sportswagon are optional for the SLX and SX. (sold singularly).

And according to it the wheel track front/rear are the same for all three models. The CW has different dimensions.

So, what we need is someone with cash to burn who runs an SX or SLX to order a set of 17" wheels and when they arrive, see what bits and pieces come with them...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

And according to it the wheel track front/rear are the same for all three models. The CW has different dimensions.

Looking at the TSB, i'm surmising what they're doing is effectively legthening the car's turning circle by reducing the amount of lock to avoid fouling on the inner guards.

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Okay,  after getting a response from Hyundai i went ahead and ordered the tie rod spacers a whole $6.00 each x 2 required for fronts. when ordering the rims directly off them they come as part of a kit as mentioned in the Tech document, you cant order the kit however you can order the spacers on their own. So up to now all is looking good, once i have them in hand i can finally book them in to get put on!

i should mention that the part number for the tie rod spaces is 56522-1H100

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
$6 each is remarkably reasonable for a dealer part......They could have charged 10 times that and you would have rolled your eyes and paid it.....

So am I to summarise that you wouldn't need this part if you didn't put the steering on full lock?

How many after market places fit 17" wheels without it I wonder?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Okay,  after getting a response from Hyundai i went ahead and ordered the tie rod spacers a whole $6.00 each x 2 required for fronts. when ordering the rims directly off them they come as part of a kit as mentioned in the Tech document, you cant order the kit however you can order the spacers on their own. So up to now all is looking good, once i have them in hand i can finally book them in to get put on!

i should mention that the part number for the tie rod spaces is 56522-1H100

Thanks for the update Schumi... :goodjob:

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Ok well today's the big day :). Decided I would ring Hyundai to see what they would charge to put the spacers on as the tyre place didn't sound too confident and wanted to charge me for 2hours labour to do it approx $200. Called hyundai and they were surprising good, said would only take 30mins and would be about $55.00. So todays schedule is off to Hyundai in the morning get spacers fitted, then off to tyre place to get tyres and alloys fitted. Hopefully all goes well and no hiccups. All that and it's gonna be a scorching 33degree day!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'd like to be in your shoes today.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok well today's the big day :). Decided I would ring Hyundai to see what they would charge to put the spacers on as the tyre place didn't sound too confident and wanted to charge me for 2hours labour to do it approx $200. Called hyundai and they were surprising good, said would only take 30mins and would be about $55.00. So todays schedule is off to Hyundai in the morning get spacers fitted, then off to tyre place to get tyres and alloys fitted. Hopefully all goes well and no hiccups. All that and it's gonna be a scorching 33degree day!

After all this effort , some before and after photos would be nice  :winker:

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
hahah yep will try get some pics :). after the trip to hyundai i think they were a bit shattered they it didn't take the planned 30mins they quoted lol( and i obviously already new it would take longer after looking at the tech sheet but i was not going to question the 30mins they quoted of $55. So it came to pay didnt it..... guy was like umm yeh well clearly you can see how much time we spent on the car (2hrs btw) and 2 people working on, but because you got quoted the $55 thats all we are going to charge you. I was extremely happy they honored the original quote, because they so could have easily said that will be 2hrs x $110. So big thanks to Hyundai on that.... Next appointment is at 1pm tyre/wheel fitment.. its almost like days of our lives lol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
They'll get you back, some other time I expect.  :(  But so fa so good, now for the exciting bit.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

The official Hyundai time for the job is listed in  bulletin TSB SE 07207 at 1.2 hours.  See the Steering rack spacer installation thread for the link to the bulletin.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 15:03:53 by baradeur »

Offline trsc27

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I have 16x7 wheels on my car and havent had any problems with rubbing, however the offest of my wheels is +40 so that may have something to do with it, the offset of the 17x7 inch factory wheels is +56 so if you want to get aftermarket wheels get an offset closer to +40 and you wont have any clearance issues.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have 16x7 wheels on my car and havent had any problems with rubbing, however the offest of my wheels is +40 so that may have something to do with it, the offset of the 17x7 inch factory wheels is +56 so if you want to get aftermarket wheels get an offset closer to +40 and you wont have any clearance issues.

Does it still track OK on the highway?
And not want to pull the wheel out of your hands under heavy braking on uneven surfaces?
You've been round Lakeside on them haven't you?

Offline Schumi5

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
ok after a long day driving around place to place i have the final results to post for before and after shots.  so just  a short summary of the day

8.00am-10.00am  @ Hyundai getting tie rod spacers fitted $55.00 Bargain as it should have been charged 2hrs labour(Thanks Hyundai)
1pm-3pm Kmart Tyre n Auto, tyres/rims fitted, balanced etc and wheel alignment done $996.00 4 x Bridgestone ER300 tyres, they were actually really good to deal, surprisingly they quoted the cheapest for the tyres $249.00each(elsewhere wanted $280-$290, then at the moment special offer with K-mart(buy 4 Bridgestone/Dunlop/Goodyear tyres and get a $100 shell express gift card) BONUS, at the same time Bridgestone are running an offer buy any 4 17" tyres and get $100 coles myer gift card(DOUBLE BONUS) so effectively worked out to be $200 off the $996price. shell card can fill up the car the next couple tanks and coles/myer card well xmas is coming up :)

Pics before & After

So there you go, after what started out looking like they would never get on the car, now that are!

next step wife wants a spoiler :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal