i30 Owners Club

power steering reservoir. where is it?

2i30s · 11 · 18344

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i checked all my fluids thisafternoon and i cant find power steering fluid.! is it electronic . ?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
i checked all my fluids thisafternoon and i cant find power steering fluid.! is it electronic . ?

We have electric steering so guess we don't need a reservoir ... It is supposed to help with fuel economy  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i thought so, thanks dazz.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Yes electronic so no fluid required.

I understand the dealer can alter the "feel" settings if you find it too light, to heavy or to alter the "tracking" if it wanders either to the left or right.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i saw that on this site somewhere about dealer.but couldnt fint it.

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
According to the service info online AUS has just one calibration for all tyre sizes. Only the SR has a different (quicker) steering rack.

ouri30
According to the service info online AUS has just one calibration for all tyre sizes. Only the SR has a different (quicker) steering rack.

I don't think it is about the quickness (speed) of the rack - rather the amount of electric assistance, that is adjustable.  That is how I understand it, but I  could be wrong.

The SR definitely has a different sterring, including turning circle.  As to why this is so, I haven't a clue.  I assumed it is to do with tyre size, but agai, I might be way off the mark.  Perhaps it is something to do with a different rack.

MRH130, are you in the know?

Bob

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Hi all,

As others have noted, the power steering is electric and does not need the fluid checked.

Steering feel can be adjusted by changing the software - they periodically bring out new EPS software, and from my observation and discussions with the Hyundai techs, they found that the early settings were too light for Australian tastes and the later software produces more weighting. I can certainly vouch for the fact that the first HD Elantras (which have a very similar system) were VERY light and had virtually no feel on the road.

As for the SR having a different rack, I don't think that's the case. The difference in turning circle is down to the wider wheels giving the vehicle a different track. As turning circles are measured kerb-to-kerb, if the car has a wider track it will increase the turning circle.

In terms of feel, an SLX with SR wheels on it turns in just as nicely.

I'll double check that with the parts peoples but my gut feeling is that they have the same rack.  :D

ouri30
Hi all,

As others have noted, the power steering is electric and does not need the fluid checked.

Steering feel can be adjusted by changing the software - they periodically bring out new EPS software, and from my observation and discussions with the Hyundai techs, they found that the early settings were too light for Australian tastes and the later software produces more weighting. I can certainly vouch for the fact that the first HD Elantras (which have a very similar system) were VERY light and had virtually no feel on the road.

As for the SR having a different rack, I don't think that's the case. The difference in turning circle is down to the wider wheels giving the vehicle a different track. As turning circles are measured kerb-to-kerb, if the car has a wider track it will increase the turning circle.

In terms of feel, an SLX with SR wheels on it turns in just as nicely.

I'll double check that with the parts peoples but my gut feeling is that they have the same rack.  :D

Thanks for that MRH130,

Very well put.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Do you think there is more wear and tear on the steering and rack with larger (18" and larger ) wheels? also do you think lowering the car puts more wear on the drive system or steering system?
just wondering as i remember Eymateapot had his car lowered and had 18" wheels, and just before we last saw him he had to have his steering rack replaced. thought the factory might do the different settings on SR and if you fit 18" to SLX or SX you could need to have that set or possibly could put more stress on steering?

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Do you think there is more wear and tear on the steering and rack with larger (18" and larger ) wheels? also do you think lowering the car puts more wear on the drive system or steering system?
just wondering as i remember Eymateapot had his car lowered and had 18" wheels, and just before we last saw him he had to have his steering rack replaced. thought the factory might do the different settings on SR and if you fit 18" to SLX or SX you could need to have that set or possibly could put more stress on steering?

Fatter (and in many cases lower profile) tyres always put more stress on everything, from wheel bearings to steering components, shocks, driveline components, the lot really. When you have skinny tyres the tyres act a bit like a fuse, where if a lot of pressure is put on something (say in hard cornering or take-offs) the tyre would slip and reduce the stress on the car. If the tyre has more grip and you push the car hard, more of that stress is put through the car itself rather than abated by the tyres losing traction.

When maneuvring around a car park or whatever, as you can imagine, it's harder for the steering to turn a fat 18 inch tyre than a skinny 14 inch tyre. Remember that the steering is designed to handle extreme loads (from cornering and hitting potholes for instance) so it's not going to break it, but the extra load will wear it faster. I doubt Eyma's rack needed replacing because of his wheels but without having a look at the car it's hard to be 100%.

It's the same story with lowering the car. In almost all cases it involves stiffening the suspension, which puts more stress on everything, from the body shell down.

The only way lowering the car will bother the steering or drivetrain is if you lower it so much that the driveshafts and/or steering arms have to go to unnatural angles because you have changed the geometry so much. If you do that, the car will drive like an absolute pig anyway, and really it's only the people who have the belly of the car scraping on the ground that have those sorts of problems. Just a sensible, tasteful lowering won't cause those issues.

It's hard to explain the paragraph above without a diagram, but suffice to say if you don't go silly with your lowering that won't be a problem.  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal