AlanHo · 3 · 1175

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
:link: Boston Bus Crash Victims Sue Satnav Companies

They used to say "Only in America" - but the UK is getting as daft.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
You would of thought the victims would sue the bus company regardless if they used satnav or not.
It will be interesting to see what the out come is. Are we taking bets who's going to win, satnav or victims?

Looking at the photo it seems strange to have a over pass that low that a single decker coach cant get under because it looks like a main road or dual carriage way.

All bridges in the UK with a clearance of less than 16 feet 6 inches (about 5 metres) are normally signed, and in the vehicle cab you have a height indicator which you have to set before you start your journey.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
All very sad, as far as the victims are concerned, they didn't ask for that, but...........

The driver is ALWAYS responsible for his passengers safety so the victims shouldn't be sueing Sat Nav firms, only the coach company (or the driver for using something not fit for purpose).

The coach company (or the driver) should then try a counter claim against the Sat Nav companies, but that won't work because it's NOT MEANT FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES.

I blame the judges too, they allow these claims into court in the first place.

Just a little anectdote to make a point......... About 40 or 50 years ago a number of overpasses were constructed in the Netherlands with ample clearance for trucks and buses (i'm sure this practice took place in other countries too)

Overpasses last longer than roads (except in California) so a few years ago a stretch of road needed resurfacing. Due to heavier trucks and loads the road was first shaved and then a full thickness layer was laid down.
Now, there's a company close to where i live that builds and delivers temporary office units and they'd been using that particular stretch of road for 30 years with no incidents. but now the road was a full six inches higher.

When a temporary Office unit hits an overpass at 100 kph it explodes.

That company now has to take a 30km detour when delivering to that region.

Is it therefore right that Tom Tom and Garmin (or anyone else for that matter) could be held accountable? It's really is a matter of inches.

I find the thought morally reprehensible.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal