i30 Owners Club

engine oil for a petrol engine.

2i30s · 44 · 19425

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
there has been a lot of information on oil for the crdi engine but not much i can find regarding the oil for a petrol i30 engine.my dealerships mechanics use castrol magnetech 5w30,[thats what my invoice and oil change sticker states]is it the rite oil :question: :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Can't help mate, our (daughter's) Petrol SX Hatch has only done about 1500 Ks, so she hasn't had the oil changed yet.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
we got our oil and filter changed at 1.000ks [im fussy about that]at my own cost  :razz: oil and filter changed $50.00 each car. :cool:   i couldnt buy that oil and filter cheaper than that :eek:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
$50 isn't too bad. i'm thinking of doing it at my 1000k, which will be like in a week or so  :eek:
its been very dusty lately so the filter isn't a bad idea either come to think of it.

i'll see what they recommend oil wise

edit: i'm thinking of air filter, have dust filters and cleaning my air con on the brain duh
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
let us know what they say. :razz:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I always use Mobil 1. Works great for me.

Dealers will tend to get the cheapest oil possible and although some people like Magnatec I had a bad experience with it and don't use it.

Certainly the grade they've quoted is fine.

When you look at oil prices from a dealer, bear in mind that at the absolute outside they will be paying $3.50-$4.00 a litre. Often it's under $3.00, so there's a lot of margin in it!  :lol: Doesn't mean they'll reduce the price, but it's good to know where they're standing...  :wink:

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My friends and I all use Castrol Edge 5-30. It's fairly expensive, but a fully synthetic oil.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanx for the info .i thought the petrol engine oil was a special oil like the crdi engine oil. :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

some people like Magnatec I had a bad experience with it and don't use it.

Hi Michael,

I have been using Magnatec in my petrol cars for a while now (The Getz, Elantra, and now the wife's tiida)

So I'd be interested to know about your bad experience (By PM if you don't want to be sued by Catrol .. would be fine)

No hurry either (I imagine you are still grieving about the damage to your collection... :'()
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline New-Owner1

• 2nd Gear

• 2009 I30 Comfort 1.4
I'm going to be changing the oil after say 6k miles, after what others have said here it seems a good idea, I want a decent fully synthetic oil but will need to rely on the main dealer to pick the oil as I'm no expert. :'(

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
My dealer used Shell Helix 5W30.

See here for 1.6 petrol service invoice

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3397.0.html
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Hi Michael,

I have been using Magnatec in my petrol cars for a while now (The Getz, Elantra, and now the wife's tiida)

So I'd be interested to know about your bad experience (By PM if you don't want to be sued by Catrol .. would be fine)

No hurry either (I imagine you are still grieving about the damage to your collection... :'()

Bleh I'm not worried about Castrol suing me, I certainly don't have a valuable car collection for them to take any more!

When I was managing a workshop someone brought in a VL Commodore that was running very sweetly and requested we put Magnatec in it, which we did, and then about a week later it ran a bearing and died. Then one of my friends put it in his Magna (thought it must be the right thing for a Magna if it's Magnatec  :lol:) and about 1000km later it lost oil pressure. We pulled the motor out and found the oil pump drive had sheared.  :eek: Another friend used it in his Volvo S70 and it never sounded right to me - so I guess I just don't trust it.

The VL was the one that really sticks in my head, that was a very sweet motor and it died suddenly after getting a load of Magnatec. The others just sort of back that up, although Magnas are hardly trouble-free when it comes to engine internals...

As I said originally though, lots of people use it and reckon it's good. Clearly not every engine that runs that oil suffers an unpleasant fate. I just don't use it.   :cool:

Offline ghines

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

I use Mobil Super 3000, it's a fully synthetic oil and it's cheaper then Mobil 1.
http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/LCW/Files/MPVL000420_page_4.pdf

The right oil is only half the job, you must use a good Oil Filter as well like AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (EaO).  They are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year.  The new Australian Distributors are:-
http://www.enginecare.com.au/amsoil-pg8330.html

Hope it helps.

Greg

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi,

The right oil is only half the job, you must use a good Oil Filter as well like AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (EaO).  They are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year.  The new Australian Distributors are:-
http://www.enginecare.com.au/amsoil-pg8330.html

Hope it helps.

Greg

Hi Greg,

They may be a very good filter but from a warranty point of view I always opt for the genuine manufacturers filters while under warranty... :cool:

How do you see that point of view?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanx for the info . :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Michael.... :eek: I will keep those experiences in mind.. Might try something else in the wife's Tiida from now on... :exclaim:

P.S. I really admire your fortitude with your hail damage.. Very admirable how you are coping ...

Pip
My friends and I all use Castrol Edge 5-30. It's fairly expensive, but a fully synthetic oil.
Duckman, not questioning you but the term "fully synthetic" does not (necessarily) mean that the oil does not have some (or the major) part made from refined mineral oil. It's my understanding that Castrol Edge 5w30 is predominantly made from highly refined mineral oil - with its base known as "Group iii".

This does not mean it's a poor oil - I'm using it myself.  It does mean that it will be cheaper to manufacture than a real "fully synthetic" and it's price generally reflects that, being available on special from time to time at near half Mobil 1 0w40 for instance.  As a general rule I think anything 0w will use the more expensive synthetic process.  Castrol have a 0w40 also, and it's priced accordingly.

Offline ghines

• 2nd Gear
Dazz, I really don't see any issues when using a product that's far superior to the manufacturers product.  It can only improve the oil filtration and prolong the life of the engine, which I think is a good thing.  No??

Greg

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Hi Michael.... :eek: I will keep those experiences in mind.. Might try something else in the wife's Tiida from now on... :exclaim:

P.S. I really admire your fortitude with your hail damage.. Very admirable how you are coping ...

Thanks Dazz, so much horrible stuff is happening already in the family at the moment, it's one of those things where I can't be so worried about the cars right now. I'm not really dealing with it yet, I've just tarped the ones that have lost windows and will come to them later - trying very hard not to even look out the back. That's probably when it'll hit me like a tonne of bricks. I am very attached to my collection so it's really a bad thing for me.  :'(

Que sera sera, as they say...

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
May I add, the way you are coping with the issues...

The Hail Stones weren't the only balls as big as cricket balls !

As Dazz said, admirable mate.  I'd have fallen apart if only one car got only one dent !

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, I really don't see any issues when using a product that's far superior to the manufacturers product.  It can only improve the oil filtration and prolong the life of the engine, which I think is a good thing.  No??

Greg

Don't get me wrong Greg, I wasn't having a go at you.. I just wonder if you had any engine issues how you would stand having used an alternative filter.

What does our resident "Service Advisor" Michael think...

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Greg is right that a "better" filter can't be a bad thing for the engine, but Dazz is right that it's better to have used genuine filters if at some stage you have engine trouble. Manufacturers tend to see anything aftermarket as inferior to genuine parts, even if they are actually better products.

For that reason, I use genuine Hyundai coolant in Crystal even though I don't believe it's necessarily the best one on the market. If I have a problem I can demonstrate to Hyundai that I've been using the product they supply so they have nowhere to go.

Certainly no sensible manufacturer is going to give you a hard time when it comes to warranty unless you have used inferior parts, but from a goodwill/peace of mind point of view I tend to stick to genuine parts - at least while the car's under warranty.  :D

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

May I add, the way you are coping with the issues...

The Hail Stones weren't the only balls as big as cricket balls !

As Dazz said, admirable mate.  I'd have fallen apart if only one car got only one dent !

Thanks Blue - I'm pretty much the same (demonstrated by the fact I'm selling Crystal after her bingle despite her having no structural damage and having been repaired to perfection by the best smashie in town). I guess I just have to look forward, not backwards. I appreciate everyone on here's nice thoughts.  :D :D

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My dealer used Shell Helix 5W30.

I haven't had an oil change in the i30 yet.. but the Hyundai Service Centre I go to used Shell Helix (can't remember if its that one ^) in my Getz. Never had a problem...
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i would have thought that all dealers in Australia use the same brand of oil :exclaim: Hyundai Australia should tell dealers what oil to use.my parents spend 9 months of the year towing a caravan around oz with a 100 series landcruiser.they average 60.000kms a trip.my dad gets it serviced by Toyota dealers on the way around each 10.000kms and each time the dealer uses the same grade and brand of oil.over 6 different dealers the price only varies about $20.00. why cant our dealers do this. :rolleyes:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Toyota have their own Toyota-branded engine oil, which I'm sure they get from one of the oil companies on a special deal. Honda have the same thing. Hyundai do have a tie-up with Shell, most of their genuine-branded fluids are made by Shell - I guess they just haven't got to the point of making their own engine oil.

Also a lot of Hyundai dealers are multi-franchise so they would be less keen to have different brand fluids for each manufacturer. From my observation most Toyota dealers are single-franchise dealerships so that's less of a hassle.

Personally I don't mind Hyundai not specifying an oil, because I want to use my Mobil 1 and don't want them to be able to say that I'm using non-genuine parts.  :razz: Certainly when doing warranty claims manufacturers won't pay for repairs if the dealer doesn't use genuine fluids (if they exist).

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
good point :razz:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
was wondering about the 'genuine parts' vs any brand of suitable oil you put in it. seems a bit of a contradiction really  :P

Pip
was wondering about the 'genuine parts' vs any brand of suitable oil you put in it. seems a bit of a contradiction really  :P
Not really but you must put emphasis on suitable.

All oils (except maybe the very cheapest - at least any that we would use) undergo testing according to set standards.  The testing might be "in-house" to avoid the cost associated with formal ratification or might be done by one of the standards associations.  The labels have the specifications that the oil meets.

Some car manufacturers (VW, BMW etc) add their own specific needs that oil manufacturers must also meet if they want their oil used in these cars.

Essentially, a car manufacturer will specify which of the various standards they deem suitable and you must use any oil you wish that meets that.

If a car manufacturer decides to run their own labeled oil it will be most likely be just re-labeled from one of the big oil makers anyway.  For instance, I read that BMW use Mobil 1 0w40 as initial fill in many of their cars so I expect "BMW" oil is just that.

Hyundai specify oils having passed testing based on European standards, ACEA.  Meet them and everyone's happy.

As MRH130 said, better that the choice is ours so we may choose either a premium oil or a cheaper one if we don't care so much.  And if you are one who doesn't  care too much whether the oil just meets specification or exceeds it, just use dealer oil because I would assume they don't use a premium oil.  All that would do is hurt their profits and gain them nothing because as noted here before, nobody knows what they put in and generally noone cares either.  :rolleyes:

I might add, there is little proof that using premium oil will gain you anything at all except a warm feeling that you tried to do the best thing for what will probably be, the next owner.   :)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
with this car i care, its trying to understand how to care  :eek: :-[

is this one here ok?
castrol on special

Unread Posts