My KIA Niro

AlanHo · 5 · 1975

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have started this thread to keep in one place information about MY Niro and my experience with it once it is delivered.  I am aware that at least one member here is looking forward to my reports.  THe fact that the Niro owners manual can be downloaded from an Australian website indicates the car will probably be launched in Australia sometime in 2017.

I have posted in other threads the information of our test drives which culminated in me placing an order for a Niro 2 ADAP in white on 24th October. The dealer was sure it would be 8 to 12 weeks delivery because the addition of ADAP made it a factory build. I had my doubts and made it a condition of the order that it arrived by 31st March - otherwise I would cancel the order.

The reason for this is that the UK road tax system changes on 1st April for all cars registered after that date. At present the Niro qualifies for zero tax because of low emissions - but after the 1st April it will be £140 per year. This does not apply to cars registered before that date and the Niro would remain at zero road tax.

Almost two months went by and the dealer remained unable to get a delivery date from KIA. Meanwhile Hyundai and KIA were hit by serious labour disputes which halted production for a long period and the order book for the NIro became an all-time record for any KIA car. Demand has outstripped their expectations.

On the 13th December the dealer was able to advise me that my car was being built that day (I'm not suspicious but I wish it had been another date). He thought it was great news and the car would probably arrive in January. No bloody chance, thought I.

These may give us an insight into the logistics involved in moving cars between continents.
The Hyundai Glovis fleet of around 30 ships varies in capacity between 3000 and 6500 cars per ship.

:link: South Korea part 3: From export champions to masters of logistics - Automotive Logistics

:link: Yarmouth port welcomed its biggest ever vessel with 3,300 cars onboard - News - Great Yarmouth Mercury

This site is useful for calculating shipping times from port to port

:link: SEA-DISTANCES.ORG - Distances

Assuming the ship does not stop on the way - the approx. time taken to sail from Korea to UK at 12 knots is :-

Route via Suez canal 10,856 miles = 37 days

Route via Panama canal  12,979 miles = 45 days

I have also discovered that the Glovis ships more often than not call into Malaysia, Singapore, Suez, Cairo, Italy and Portugal before getting to the UK. In Malaysia they drop off and load other cars.

At the UK port they drop off cars and load others before going to Germany where they also do both. They then sail to the USA , then down to Panama to cross the Pacific to Singapore and Malaysia again to drop and load cars before returning to Korea to start the cycle again.

My guess is it takes at least 60 days for a ship to get from Korea to the UK

For example - the Glovis Comet car carrier currently on its way to the UK left Korea 44 days ago bound for the UK. It has called at Malaysia, Singapore and Sh-Hri Lanka and is currently anchored at the south end of the Suez canal. It has been there for three days waiting to sail through. I can't find out where it calls before reaching the UK or when.

Hence I am uncertain that my car will arrive in time - but I have my fingers crossed.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
 register for amazon premium and request next day delivery!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I'm already an Amazon Premium member and I never gave that a thought - Damn..... :crazy1:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Interesting. Thanks Alan.

What's your plan B if the Niro doesn't make it on time..? You can't keep driving that old Venga..  :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The extent of your research always amazes me Alan...  :Shocked:

So Ii won't start holding my breath just yet then!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal