i30 Owners Club

1938 Ford 10 roadster utility

Eureka · 8 · 3565

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
7W SD 173.  That's what is stamped on the firewall.  I bought it in 1978.  It was 40 years old then and it has been sitting unloved ever since.  Pathetic.  And it hasn't been stored as well as DB's Austin 1800.

Dad hired a trailer and we drove to Kyneton, I think, to pick it up.  I don't think he was all that keen.

It would be quite rare, although not that valuable.  I had dreams - when I was young and silly - of making it into a street rod. 

It would have come from England - Dagenham??? - as a chassis, motor, gearbox etc and body (firewall, windscreen, bonnet; mudguards, grille and bumper).  The ute section, the doors and the fold down roof would have been built here, in Geelong probably.  It has the 'three nostril' grille, with a round, chrome and red enamel '10' badge bolted to the grille.  The Ford badge above is red/chrome also.

It would look nice restored/modified, perhaps with a 'chopped' fold down top.  It could look really nice, in fact. Not sure if a V8 could be squeezed in, as they do in Anglia sedans, as there isn't much room to push the seat back in a ute.

I should get in touch with the Ford 8 and 10 club, here in Melbourne.  A while ago i was looking at their web site and one of the club members had bought a later version of the same thing, in Ballarat, and he had thought it might turn out to be the rumoured 7W roadster ute in Ballarat - that would be mine.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds great (where are the photos?)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I am a genuine techno-peasant.  No mobile phone, no digital camera, so no pics.  I should get with the program and buy a camera/phone whatever and learn how to do all that stuff. 

But even if I did put up some pics of it, they wouldn't look pretty.

The Ford 10 was a precursor to the Prefect (also 10 HP).  The Ford 8 became the Anglia.  Have a look at the site of the Ford 8 and 10 club, here in Victoria, if you want to see some pics of old, small Fords. 

Side-valve, 1172cc, three-speed gearbox, they must have been real slugs.  Mechanical brakes.  Mum had a Prefect at one stage, with the pronounced boot section.  I think that meant that it was an Aussie-built Prefect.  There was also a Prefect with a straight back (this is early 50s) which I think was English-built.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Eureka
I am a genuine techno-peasant.  No mobile phone, no digital camera, so no pics. 

I believe Dazz was alluding to the fact you've posted this in the section reserved for "Pictures & Videos" :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Fairy Nuff  :goodjob: I seem to have more gadgets than I can use  :confused:

Thanks for telling us about it anyway  :hatoff:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
7W SD 173.  That's what is stamped on the firewall.  I bought it in 1978.  It was 40 years old then and it has been sitting unloved ever since.  Pathetic.  And it hasn't been stored as well as DB's Austin 1800.

Dad hired a trailer and we drove to Kyneton, I think, to pick it up.  I don't think he was all that keen.

It would be quite rare, although not that valuable.  I had dreams - when I was young and silly - of making it into a street rod. 

It would have come from England - Dagenham??? - as a chassis, motor, gearbox etc and body (firewall, windscreen, bonnet; mudguards, grille and bumper).  The ute section, the doors and the fold down roof would have been built here, in Geelong probably.  It has the 'three nostril' grille, with a round, chrome and red enamel '10' badge bolted to the grille.  The Ford badge above is red/chrome also.

It would look nice restored/modified, perhaps with a 'chopped' fold down top.  It could look really nice, in fact. Not sure if a V8 could be squeezed in, as they do in Anglia sedans, as there isn't much room to push the seat back in a ute.

I should get in touch with the Ford 8 and 10 club, here in Melbourne.  A while ago i was looking at their web site and one of the club members had bought a later version of the same thing, in Ballarat, and he had thought it might turn out to be the rumoured 7W roadster ute in Ballarat - that would be mine.

This sounds interesting.
Don't beat yourself up about where it's stored. I have other cars that are unfortunately out in the weather because I've run out of room.
Just do the best you can.
Try to get hold of a good quality cover and in summer when the vehicle is dried out, put the cover on.
I'd be interested in seeing some photos too if there was the possibility somehow.  :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Funny You mention the fords,work collegue has afully restored Model A P/U,his father has a few cars,but he does have funnily enough a Fully Restore Ford Prefect Panel Van for sale at the moment  :lol: if I ad the money I'd buy it have some good memories in te back of one of them  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Was there enough room in the back?  Wish I had those memories. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal