i30 Owners Club

I30 turbo failure & warranty issue

mick 62 · 51 · 17130

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
The sales guy tells me if I use genuine oils & filters that would be fine......Heard that before ! If you go down this road keep detailed records & be prepared to be immune to bullshit- you'll be hearing lots of it.
Nice to see your car fixed Mick. If I were buying a new Kia, before signing an order I would insist this "Sales Guy" put his statement in writing
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
The sales guy tells me if I use genuine oils & filters that would be fine......Heard that before ! If you go down this road keep detailed records & be prepared to be immune to bullshit- you'll be hearing lots of it.
Nice to see your car fixed Mick. If I were buying a new Kia, before signing an order I would insist this "Sales Guy" put his statement in writing

I'm guessing he might not be so keen ! All in all it has been a "interesting" & educational experience - I've heard many opinions on who's "right" but simply the bottom line is if Hyundai gives a warranty they MUST adhere to Australian consumer law regardless of their fine print.  To quote a ACCC  news letter I found : New & used Vehicle Servicing In relation to to general servicing, motor vehicle dealers are entitled to insist that any servicing is carried out by qualified staff, according to the manufacturers specifications, & using genuine or appropriate quality parts where required. Provided these conditions are met, regardless of where you choose to get your car serviced, your warranty will remain intact .  Unquote !
My main gripe with Hyundai servicing was the excessive mark up on parts ie $40 for a genuine oil filter that I could get for a 1/3 of the price on line...being charged top $  for 6 litres of oil to overfill my engine that only requires 5 etc etc......... no wonder  they don't want you servicing elsewhere ! From now on I will supply ALL the fluids & filters & they can supply the labour - & they can't argue with that.
  • 2010 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
My main gripe with Hyundai servicing was the excessive mark up on parts ie $40 for a genuine oil filter that I could get for a 1/3 of the price on line...being charged top $  for 6 litres of oil to overfill my engine that only requires 5 etc etc......... no wonder  they don't want you servicing elsewhere ! From now on I will supply ALL the fluids & filters & they can supply the labour - & they can't argue with that.

Many owners here do precisely that, including me.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline alc2

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Hi all, i will post here instead open a new topic , problem solved now completed . I own a 2011 I30 diesel 115 HP non DPF , 51.000 km, which in the  last  couple of months   put  on  exhaust a lot of black smoke at strong acceleration . Diagnostic after Hy delaer first check : EGR must  be  clean . I paid 50 Eur for this , they  claim this is not cover by warranty. Probleam not solved because after one week i came back with the same problem , second diagnostic : turbo fail . Fortunately for me , this will be solved under warranty . Car have been serviced by Hy delaer by the manufacturer maintenance schedule , stating whit fluids and filters changed werewolf , brake pads , etc.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
alc2 ( I would be asking for a refund of the EGR cleaning fee)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Nobody's ever noticed you have a werewolf at service time.  :exclaim: :exclaim: :eek:

I think that may be your problem.  :mrgreen:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Turbo failure due to werewolf shedding hair, no doubt. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Did you ever notice the turbo sou ding like a police siren at low revs? I forced Hyu dai to replace the turbo in my 09 because of the noise it was making. I had to wait over 8 weeks for the turbo to come in because they said they had actually made changes to the part?! Possibly admitting that there was a design issue. I had to fight hyundai for it to be changed under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
It's amazing how different experiences can be. My turbo got replaced without me even asking for it, as far as I was concerned the problem was in the glow plugs but they said turbo and replaced it. A week later they replaced the glow plugs which fixed the problem  :razz: :lol:
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's amazing how different experiences can be. My turbo got replaced without me even asking for it, as far as I was concerned the problem was in the glow plugs but they said turbo and replaced it. A week later they replaced the glow plugs which fixed the problem  :razz: :lol:

Definitely a win/win  :goodjob:

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
Sounds like someone else may have needed a turbo - Are you sure they actually changed it - there are plenty of scammers out there.
  • 2010 i30

Offline MattyP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
Does anyone know the exact model of the i30 turbo?

Offline Kezza

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cairns
Hi Elantraelite, im currently fighting with Hyundai as well. My 2009 i30 turbo diesel's turbo recently went with the sirens and is 2.5months out of warranty.  They originally (last monday) was going to warrant/goodwill the part for us to only pay $800 for labour which was due to be fixed on wednesday this week.  But today sent back saying now we need to pay $2800.  Not happy.  So i got legal advice and they told me to go to ACCC & OFT.  Is that what you had done.
  • 2009 i30 CDI1 Turbo Diesel Wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Elantraelite, im currently fighting with Hyundai as well. My 2009 i30 turbo diesel's turbo recently went with the sirens and is 2.5months out of warranty.  They originally (last monday) was going to warrant/goodwill the part for us to only pay $800 for labour which was due to be fixed on wednesday this week.  But today sent back saying now we need to pay $2800.  Not happy.  So i got legal advice and they told me to go to ACCC & OFT.  Is that what you had done.

Sorry to hear that! Don't suppose you have anything in writing about the first offer (I'm sure that would help) :Pout:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
It seems like I'm reading about turbo failure left right and centre on this forum. I wonder are the failures completely random, or is there anything that needs to be done to prevent it. I know about cooling the turbo for a minute before turning off the engine.

Up till now I've been doing 15000km a year and servicing my i30 as per the book with yearly services. I don't feel I meet the criteria for requiring interim 7500km services but I wonder does this increase the risk of turbo failure?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I certainly believe in cooling the turbo. My partner and I always wait few seconds before turning the car off. This at least pumps some oil through the turbo to allow it to cool if has been worked hard.

Each to their own, but I believe in changing the oil every 7,500km. Changing the oil at 15,000km seems like a long time between changes when you consider how quickly the oil becomes dirty. Changing it regularly would mean cleaner oil flowing through the turbo.

Im no expert, but if it prevents damage i'll try it.

I recently sold my 2005 Hyundai Elantra, beautiful car andwas serviced without fail every 7,500km. After 130,000km you will never have seen a cleaner or more healthier engine. The oil was always transparent. Gosh I miss that car!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
It seems like I'm reading about turbo failure left right and centre on this forum. I wonder are the failures completely random, or is there anything that needs to be done to prevent it. I know about cooling the turbo for a minute before turning off the engine.

If you have a DPF, I think it's especially important to cool at idle when turning off during the DPF regeneration. I'm not sure where that additional injected fuel actually burns, but if the turbo gets as much heat as the DPF, then shutting off during regen is as bad thing as shutting off immediately after full throttle speeding at the motorway.  :undecided: However the user manual says nothing about how to know when the DPF is regenerating, or what to do / not do when it occurs. The DPF also has a bad habit to start the regen at the worst possible moment, typically few kilometers before getting to the work and no time to do additional driving to finish the regen.

I have read somewhere (maybe even in this forum) that early FDs with VGT turbos have had problems with variable vanes moving beyond their limits, hitting to the turbine blades and making that loud whistling sound.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

I have read somewhere (maybe even in this forum) that early FDs with VGT turbos have had problems with variable vanes moving beyond their limits, hitting to the turbine blades and making that loud whistling sound.

I hope not... :scared: :sweating:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

In my view the Garret turbo used in the i30 CRDi has proven very reliable. I think Cruiserfied would support my claim?

Considering the number of CRDi owners who have come through this site, I can old count probably a dozen failures. The numbers will, of course, increase as the cars get older.   :cool:

I agree with Phil that with normal driving 15,000 services are often enough. Modern oils are very good and are expected to last longer than 15k in Europe. The fact they go black quickly in Diesels is to do with the combustion process and does not really adversely affect the oils lubricating qualities.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal