i30 Owners Club

Solved! I30 CRDi non start after service

Guest · 15 · 5953

Vance61
Hello all

Back in July I started a thread regarding my i30 coming back from a service and mot, after which it would not start. It was given a new battery as well as a tech guy coming out. The problem was when I turned the key, all I got was a click, like a flat battery. This carried on almost every day until 3 weeks ago. One morning when it didn't start I kept the key turned to the crank position. At the same time, using the door lock button on the door, I first closed then opened the doors, I kept the button pressed down and hear and extra click in the door mechanism. Immediately the car cranked and started. It seems the alarm had not been fully disengaging, which cut power to the starter. Since then it has started first time, every time and is running much smoother too.
Got in touch with my dealer, he was very interested and passed the info on to Hyundai UK tech department. In view of the battery not being the issue, he has credited back the £74.40 for the unneeded battery and £65.50 for the tow back to them when the problem first arose. He pulled the job card on the battery check, it turns out my old battery had 100% charge and 76% health. That was probably due to them running the battery down in the workshop.
Anyway they didn't find the fault, I did, but they have taken it onboard, given me  a total credit of £140.00 and apologised for not being able to solve it.
The dialogue with the owner of the dealership was great, the outcome is now OK and I have a nice. Amount towards my next service.
Bit of a saga but got there in the end. :happydance: :yahoo: :honk:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thanks for the update, you have some very good problem solving skills there, well done & good job from your dealer, too. You can name the dealer here if you want to. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A result.

Cheers
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent feedback :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update, you have some very good problem solving skills there, well done & good job from your dealer, too. You can name the dealer here if you want to. :goodjob2: :goodjob:

:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Vance61
Hi Phil

My dealer is Pebley Beach Hyunda/Suzuki in Swindon. They also have a dealership in Cirencester. It is a very good dealership and regularly wins the Hyundai and Suzuki annual best dealer awards. Many other Hyundai and Suzuki dealerships send cars with problems to them, as they do have a reputation for problem solving.
The boss is easy to reach and is pretty fair all round.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well done, and a very nice responce from the dealer.  :goodjob2:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Congrats, Vance. :goodjob2:

Ah, Swindon, how's that magic roundabout doing these days? I do miss the Vale of the White Horse at times. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello all

Back in July I started a thread regarding my i30 coming back from a service and mot, after which it would not start. It was given a new battery as well as a tech guy coming out. The problem was when I turned the key, all I got was a click, like a flat battery. This carried on almost every day until 3 weeks ago. One morning when it didn't start I kept the key turned to the crank position. At the same time, using the door lock button on the door, I first closed then opened the doors, I kept the button pressed down and hear and extra click in the door mechanism. Immediately the car cranked and started. It seems the alarm had not been fully disengaging, which cut power to the starter. Since then it has started first time, every time and is running much smoother too.

Have read your earlier posts and, not being picky but, just to clarify 'cos it's a bit mystifying.  :confused:

What made you operate with the locking mechanism whilst trying to start the car as the key is on the right of the steering column and the lock buttons are on the driver's door armrest - so not exactly a logical or  easy thing to do?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I'm not sure the status of the doors locks on the BCM or the Alarm would stop the car cranking?

And if it was the immobiliser (the infamous flaky SMARTRA reception coil) then the car would crank but not fire.

I suspect the problem still exists and the last observation was luck/co-incidence not necessarily an indication of root cause.

Vance61
Happy New Year all, apologies for not being online recently I was a bit unwell. I agree it sounds very odd as my initial thought was immobiliser. I chatted further with the technician at the dealer & he mentioned it could be linked to the auto door lock system. It is not activated on my i30, but apparently it does sometime interfere with the starting system. By pressing the door lock button to open the locks at the same time as cranking the engine, it reset the fault, thus resetting the security system and disengaged the alarm. I know it sounds odd but even the tech said even models in the same chassis range have slightly differing components, with so many systems that some problems do seem to defy logic. The reason I pressed the lock button at the same time of cranking is that I read a piece on an American site about a similar problem linked to the door locks not fully opening, leaving the alarm partially activated. It was a last throw of the dice after checking everything else. Since then my car has not failed to start at all, it runs a little smoother and a flickering fuel filter light has gone away. I had the filter checked prior to that and it was fine, but the light still flickered. Just another odd thing?
Any way thanks for reading, fingers crossed the issue stays gone!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Thanks for the update

:Agoodpost:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: Well explained (hope you are feeling better now) :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the update - that's useful info you've posted :goodjob:

Quote from: Vance61
By pressing the door lock button to open the locks at the same time as cranking the engine, it reset the fault ...
Just to be clear, are we talking about the button on the dashboard or the remote?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
one good thing about it is that anyone wanted to nick your car they would be buggered not realising that you have to press the door lock button
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal