i30 Owners Club

Hard Starting ,blue white smoke on start up. Fixed

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi Guys,

I am a new i30 owner 2010 cw 1.6 crdi sky blue 82000 kms , love the car , awesome compared to the 2003 Kia Rio i had before. I have had the car for 2 months now , sometimes would be hard to start and when it did it blew out quite a lot of blue/white smoke and would run like on 3 cylinders for the first 30 seconds to a minute , it seemed worse the longer between starts.

Once warmed up it runs fine.

I have just had the 90000 km service done and mentioned to them about the hard starting. When picking up the car they said there were no fault codes regarding hard starting and it worked fine for them. After doing some research on this forum the general consensus was glow plugs had gone faulty and needed replacement , there was mention of the 80A fuse but i presumed that if the fuse had gone then it would't start at all , so i never checked the fuse.

After more research i found mentioned that it will run with a blown fuse but give the symptoms i have ,  so i went out to check and sure enough the 80A fuse was blown (you can just visually inspect it as it has a clear window on top). On further investigation i discovered there is a bare metal bar that connects power to the glow plugs, there is a spade connection on the first glow plug with the power wire connected there , then this metal bar connects from this glow plug to the other glow plugs. On mine the glow plug furthest away from where the power is connected had this metal bar touching the engine block and obviously was shorting out the power for the glow plugs and blew the 80A fuse.

I used a flat blade screw driver and bent the bar away from the engine block where it connected to all the glow plugs , giving much more clearance and reduced risk of short. Found most places sell the 80A fuse (supercheap,autobarn,repco) picked up one from supercheap , about $6. This fuse is located in the fuse box above the washer bottle and it's bolted in not plug in/out. To replace this fuse you have to just about disassemble the fuse box to get to the 2 bolts that connect and hold the fuse in place, there are 3 push back clips on top that allow you to lift just the section with the 80A fuse up enough to expose the two 10mm bolts underneath, undo these and the fuse slides out.

So don't make the mistake i did and presume if the fuse is blown it won't start , as it will start and run with the blown fuse and only sometimes give a symptom of hard starting.

If you have this problem first check your fuse , if blown check clearance of this power bar connecting to the glow plugs , you may have the same simple problem i had.

Also the dealers are useless i won't be bothered going to them again , my warranty period is almost up so i will do my own service from now on

Anyway hopefully this helps someone as it frustrated me and ended up being a simple fix.

Cheers     
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
A very informative post, mrexcitement!   :goodjob:

Oh, and a big welcome to the forum....  :welcum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :agreed: That was a great post, mrexcitement.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

The Diesel will start in reasonable weather, but I wouldn't be too hopeful in Europe's winter. I believe the glo plugs continue supporting the engine for about 30 seconds after starting, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: and  :brilliant:

I would have made you member of the day for that post, but I see you joined 3 days ago (so too late)  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Thanks guys for the welcome.

Hey rustynutz (are they ?? he he) , i noticed you are in south gippsland , just curious, your not any where near Yarrum are you?

I have a mate who lives in Yarrum and we go dirt biking up in the pine forests in Devon North and we stay in an old dairy shed that's been converted into a shack.

Cheers  :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
G'day Mr Ex....no, my nutz aren't, they haven't been for a long time...  :whistler: :snigger:

As for Yarram, I'm around 100k from there, but still class it as one of my local towns though...lol

I have a fair idea of where you are riding as I used to go camping up that way...at a little place called Hiawatha....

Cheers :)

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi Rustynutz,

Ahh good old Hiawatha , i know it well , it's where we normally ride to, beautiful place , busy at Easter.

It's a shame that they are logging in the area as most of the hills we go up/down are bare now.

Cheers :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes, I noticed the bare hills when I was last up that way...  :fum:

It's also a shame the local louts trashed the shelter shed/bbq area some years back.....  :mad:
I've been thinking about getting back into camping so I just might have to wander up there again to check it out....

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I agree about the shed/bbq area , most of the locals were pissed off too.

If you head up that way , let me know , if i'm up there at the same time i'll try to drop in , but during the summer months we don't ride much, much prefer the cold and mud.

Cheers  :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Shall do... :goodjob:
Actually, most likely you'll be passing my place on the way, give me a hoy and perhaps I can shout you a cuppa...  :D

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Hi Guys,

I am a new i30 owner 2010 cw 1.6 crdi sky blue 82000 kms , love the car , awesome compared to the 2003 Kia Rio i had before. I have had the car for 2 months now , sometimes would be hard to start and when it did it blew out quite a lot of blue/white smoke and would run like on 3 cylinders for the first 30 seconds to a minute , it seemed worse the longer between starts.

Once warmed up it runs fine.

I have just had the 90000 km service done and mentioned to them about the hard starting. When picking up the car they said there were no fault codes regarding hard starting and it worked fine for them.   

The level of expertise at that service center doesn't seem to be worth anyone's money, if they can't figure out so common and obvious thing as checking the glow plugs for those symptoms, and then stating "no codes, no fault".   :disapp: :fum:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal