i30 Owners Club

Key programming

Kliment · 50 · 26228

Offline Kliment

• 2nd Gear

• mk Macedonia
Hey guys
 I've just went to the locksmith and showed him my old key case from where I took out the chip and he found out that I have'nt realy taken out the chip but only the plastic above the chip 😐😊so I went home and place the chip inside my new case and went to check if it works.
AND IT WORKS !!!!

I've just wanted to tell you what was the problem and thank you again for all your help

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Hyundai i30 1.4 fuel 2009

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Brilliant. Enjoy the car.  :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline raypinkerton

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Geebung, Brisbane

• 2008 SLX 1.6 CRDi Auto
Hi All,

To jump in on this thread with a similar question. I purchased my 2008 SLX with one key and broke the key. Hyundai very kindly replaced it under warranty and bent me over for a spare ($384.00). Have since broken one of the keys so I'm down to one key. Still smarting from the last key purchase and now car is out of warranty Hyundai don't want to know. Was at the wreckers recently and purchased a number of parts including a key from a 2008 SLX. Can a third party company program my car to work with the OEM key from another car if I swap the key blades over? Can anybody recommend somebody in Queensland?

Thanks all

Ray

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Can you not swap over the transponder internals from the broken key as well as the blade :undecided:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 14:26:09 by CraigB »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Gidday Ray,
I use ABC locksmith at Southpine Rd, Brendale.

But Craig's suggestion is the most practical. Just swap ALL the internals from your key to the new one.
Check my conversation with Kliment about the chip and plastic holder.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
I had a key which the rubber push button cover disintigrated. Hyundai refused to replace it under warranty. I found an aftermarket cover which restored the disintegrated button covers. Unfortunately I had been using a screw driver to push the little contact to lock the car up until I found the new cover. Long story short the remote lock stopped working and I could only lock the doors manually.

Subsequently I had to get some more warranty work done as the heater ceased working plus the car was making a temporary but nasty rythmic sounding scraping sound every time I drove it down hill. This ceased if I stopped the car IE at traffic lights and it reverted to normal. After all above were fixed I noted the key I was given back was a new key.

All was fine until one day out shopping my wife returned to the car and tried her key which failed to open the car. She phoned me so I advised she put the key in the drivers door. It set the alarm off and didn't open the door. When I returned I thought OK must be a dead battery in the key so I nipped into the supermarket and bought a new battery. NO CHANGE Plus her key turns the engine but will not start it. Mine starts !st time every time.

I have rung the dealer but have yet to hear their side of the tale. I suspect they replaced the key and reprogrammed the new one now the wifes key wont work. I will now have to get them to reprogramme hers the same as mine.

Ill keep you posted how this goes.
  • 2012 I30 Blue Active Diesel 1600

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee a mixture of good and bad there! Unusual they would do that at no added cost off their own bat!

Bit confusing as now you have 2 keys? First off I thought you only had one.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
in my old Citroen, you could program the key yourself by switching to acc and leave it for 30 seconds, then turn off and on again.
you could try, maybe it will work. most likely not.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
in my old Citroen, you could program the key yourself by switching to acc and leave it for 30 seconds, then turn off and on again.

Wow! That's so French; and it probably was never designed to do that.  ;)

My friend in Holland had a C5.
 Occasionally, when he parked the car, it would spend the next 15 minutes raising and lowering its suspension in the most erotic manner. So French. :P

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I had a red Renault Fuego before Firty and built about 20 UHF custom 'GonzPlip' remote systems for it and other French cars. They're an adventure in their own quirky class.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had a red Renault Fuego before Firty and built about 20 UHF custom 'GonzPlip' remote systems for it and other French cars. They're an adventure in their own quirky class.
Was the red significant in the scheme of things Gonz???

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Shoot, Dazz, every critter knows it go faster!

Offline Aughy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Northern Ireland
I rang the dealer and he says I just need to bring the car plus both keys and he will reprogramme them to work properly. He said I should have left both keys during the warranty work, but as I never mentioned the key not working it was trhe dealer who decided to replace the old key so I hadn't left in my wife's as I wasn't expecting them to replace it.

I don't know if 2 keys are supplied with new Hyundais because mine was an ex demonstrator model with 2,000 miles on the clock and came to me supplied with 2 keys. I don't know if that's standard practice with new models.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 21:09:29 by Aughy »
  • 2012 I30 Blue Active Diesel 1600

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Early i30's only got one remote key, but they soon reverted to supplying two. Good to see the dealer is looking after you.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I just swapped the internals of one of my keys to a replacement shell - after the flip part broke.   Longest part was getting the original shell open - though both getting it open and fitting all the parts in the replacement shell were probably prolonged by doing this late at night, watching TV and assisted by a Tooheys Old Dark.

I got a Mister Minit to duplicate the blade to the blank billet - it is a working duplicate... however I won't go to that outlet for another one1.

Anyway I haven't glued the replacement case permanently together yet - so might open it up and take some close ups (if I can manage them).  Interestingly, unlike in the videos, in mine the immobiliser chip/tag/RFID wasn't glued/sealed into it's compartment (the videos show needing to break plastic around it to get it).  All I had to do was gently dislodge/lever/pop-off (without damage) the while plastic cap which had a push-fit arrangement over one plastic wall of the case, then invert the case and give a gentle tap.   But the chip in the new case, fit the cap and ensure it was properly seated so the remote-entry PCB could sit properly on it.

1I am not sure if he didn't get his registration entirely correct in one dimension, the billet was slightly asymmetrical and/or didn't think it through, or something else - but basically at the section that needed duplication (e.g. the 'peaks and valleys' section of the blade) one side goes further toward the center of the blade than the other. It is noticeable as, where the duplication was needed, there is faint outline of the 'trough' that runs the key-length on one side, were as the outline is gone on the other side as it was milled slightly deeper than the trough (on the original blade there is the faint outline on both sides). Some of the edges were a bit sharp and there were dense scratches in the chrome where I didn't think anything would have needed doing - some fine sandpaper took care of these two (mostly) but indicates lack of attention to detail.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes, the videos are wrong. No need to break anything to get the chip.

PS. Apologise for my brevity.  :D

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Why should we apologise for your brevity? :whistler:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Oh come on Gonz he's a club member, cut him some slack...

I apologise for you're brevity  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oh, what a difference spelling makes to pedantic a'holes like me. :rofl:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Originally, it was a brief comment...  :sweating:  ....continued on page 3  :faint:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal