i30 Owners Club

First tank

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Cheers Lakes,
If you really want a laugh,the first time i drove to spain was on my bike and i did 1500 miles going down 200 miles more than i do it now lol,  i know i got lost at one point, but 200 extra miles is one hell of a detour :lol:
done it so many times now that i can do it without a map no problem. the Madrid ring road is something else though. :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Paul that 200mile would be 320k here now, that would be more than a full tank of fuel on my Harley :rofl:
Whats life like in Spain compared to GB ( apart from weather )? I love Spanish food, just i need to work it off the next day.
Cheers have a great trip. Check the water & oil level's just to be safe but my car never seems to use eather, last week out west i saw my outside temp gauge reading 41c but the CRDi did not seem to mind. also thought i would say if you need to use Airconditioning a lot that can effect economy, but i'd rather be compy than cooked.
Cheers m8

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Not a paella fan, but fortunately Chinese restaurants are really cheap in Spain, and Spanish wine is cheap,i buy a nice wine for 1 euro, just under £1. and Rioja is the dogs dangly bits  :mrgreen:
But it is too hot in august and too cold in January :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Paul  :rofl:
When i saw what you just posted, made me think of a Joke i was told a few years back, about a new arrival from Vietnam.....he had just got off the plane, saw a Hot Dog stand with sign..... Hot Dog's $2.
He said boy that is cheap i'll have two.   When he saw what they were serving him up, he looked discusted, he said " That's the only part of the DOG we don't eat "!  :lol:
Cheers
the wine sounds good.

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
On our third tank in the SLX Auto Oiler and using an average of 6.5l/100km , being 300 Town and 400 Highway ks, for this tank so far.. Only got 3k on the clock so far so hoping for some improvement as the engine gets more ks on it..
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
6.5 is not bad for a diesel as new as yours all the same... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Faster, coz it's a red one!
Ours has improved with every tank. Filled up this morning after 776km, and put in just over 50 Litres. Took a bloody long time to get that amount in though. It first clicked off around 47L or so. I was wondering if perhaps the wife isn't quite as diligent when filling as I am (read pedantic). Still, I was quite happy with near enough to 800km to the fuel light.

Is the fuel tank 53 litres? if so, it is a bit concerning that the light comes on with only 3L left. My bike has a bigger reserve than that!

Cheers,

GM

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Ours has improved with every tank. Filled up this morning after 776km, and put in just over 50 Litres. Took a bloody long time to get that amount in though. It first clicked off around 47L or so. I was wondering if perhaps the wife isn't quite as diligent when filling as I am (read pedantic). Still, I was quite happy with near enough to 800km to the fuel light.

Is the fuel tank 53 litres? if so, it is a bit concerning that the light comes on with only 3L left. My bike has a bigger reserve than that!

Cheers,
GM

GM i mostly always fill mine to the top every fill, thats one reason why i get around 1,100k to a tank full , unless i'm about to go on a long trip & i fill b4 light come on.
if light has come on and i fill to the top it will be 56 to 57 Lt, some people have tried there luck and say they drove 100k with the warning light on & got 60LT into tank, but 57Lt is most i think i've got in.
It seems to be easier to fill up useing premium diesel as less foaming, normal diesel foams up so need to wait for foam to go down, it's a bit like pulling a glass of beer from a keg.
hope this helps

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
Just got back from a return trip to Albury from the Latrobe Valley in Gippsland, on the way over we went up through Omeo and over Mt Hotham,Bright etc. We covered 481.9 km for 30.46l of fuel, giving 6.32l/100km, I have yet to fill up from the return trip which we did via Mt Beauty, Falls Creek, Omeo, etc. It seems to have used less by the fuel guage but i wont know for sure till tomorrow.. Will post results when I get them..Gaz
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just got back from a return trip to Albury from the Latrobe Valley in Gippsland, on the way over we went up through Omeo and over Mt Hotham,Bright etc. We covered 481.9 km for 30.46l of fuel, giving 6.32l/100km, I have yet to fill up from the return trip which we did via Mt Beauty, Falls Creek, Omeo, etc. It seems to have used less by the fuel guage but i wont know for sure till tomorrow.. Will post results when I get them..Gaz

Sounds like a great trip, Gaz. I've been itching to do the Great Alpine Road for a while now.....how was it?  :goodjob:

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria

Sounds like a great trip, Gaz. I've been itching to do the Great Alpine Road for a while now.....how was it?  :goodjob:

Was a great trip, took us 8 hours but we stopped for probably an hour all up. Road is good all the way barring a 20mtr dirt section under repair.....Much better than the Hume thats for sure.
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
Well I got around to filling the tank after our trip home from Albury via Mt Beauty / Falls Creek etc. I filled it up on the way home from melbourne last night, the missus also drove it around town for 9 days while I was away at work.

Total combined Km was 872.4, 56.14ltrs, 6.43l/100km and 15.53km/l not bad for the type of driving we did over that terrain.

I'm loving the "Little Oiler" more each time i drive it.... cheers Gaz
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Finally managed to get a big fill done. Got 56L into the little blighter. Had the light come on at 715km on the last tank (heavy traffic all week), but I know this is the first time the tank has had more than 50L put in, so the fuel consuption will be way off. I am hopeful with a bit of a rest from grid lock traffic we might get close to the 1000km mark.

Am I strange for finding this all terribly exciting?  :-\

GM

mick55
No mate perfectly normal :goodjob: It's funny when I was much younger economy was very important to since I had little money being a student, 35 years later and its turning me on again :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Am I strange for finding this all terribly exciting?  :-\

It's a bit like money .. seems to get easier after the first 1000  :goodjob:

Offline Morrigan

• 2nd Gear
So it seems a new diesel engine needs to be run in for ~1,000kms before you get the full economy and power?

Does this mean I chip the car after it's been run in?

Thanks!

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Hi Morrigan.

I think technically it wouldn't do the car any harm to get chipped from brand new, but I waited until the initial 1000km 'service' had been performed. They don't do anything engine wise - as far as I'm aware it's just to make sure their little Korean chums didn't leave any bolts loose.

The car probably won't be properly run in until about 15,000km from reading peoples impressions on the forum.

My 2c.

GM

Offline Morrigan

• 2nd Gear
15,000kms is a year of breaking in.

Damn, I better plan some driving holidays to the country ;o)

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
Well i have filled the oiler again this time 984.2 km from 64.29 ltrs. Not all in one tankfull, the missus put $20.00 worth in on Thursday before she headed to Berwick(no faith in the computer) .

The results this time are:15.75km/l and 6.34l/100, a mix of freeway and town driving, after 8 fills we are averaging 15.60km/l and 6.40l/100km.

I really need to just get on the road and drive without stopping to see what it'll get. maybe a trip to Perth might do the trick...Gaz
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Got another big fill done. Wifey even did it this time. I was so proud! :goodjob:

59.05L Woolworths/Caltex Premium Diesel
851km
~6.9L/100
14.41km/L

I also sent an email to my Hyundai dealer, asking for the exact fuel level (ie litres left) that turns the fuel light on. I know it is an exact amount (give or take a few mL of course). On my bikes, when it hits reserve or the fuel light comes on, I know I have 4 litres left. No questions or vague guesses. That's the amount. :exclaim:

The email I got back from the dealer said (paraphrasing) - the light is only a guide, and generally there will be 5-6L left.  ???

This didn't fill me with confidence. I really wasn't after generalisations. I would have much preferred "There is 9.42893L left in the tank". And so I emailed Hyundai Australia. I am yet to hear back from them, but I bloody want to know!! :twisted:

Apologies for the rant, and the long post.

Cheers,

GM

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee you are a bit of a hard head  :lol: (no offence meant..)

This won't give you an exact answer  :confused: but this thread suggests around 6-7 litres left .. about 120 kms in Diesel Manual in average conditions..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6171.0

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
G'day GM,

The dealer is probably right in saying that the light comes on within a range.  The exact amount will depend on a lot of variables, for example, if the car is on a slope one way or another, accelerating or braking (in one of my previous cars, if the light came on and I did a right hand turn, the light went off, the amount of fuel left didn't change), this is to do with the position of the sensor.  It will also depend on the temperature of the day (thermal expansion of the fuel), the specific gravity of the fuel (it does vary slightly between fills and bowsers).  Also, the total size of the tank will mean the error that the light comes on will increase. 

Another example I can give is from my former job, the low fuel warning light would come on when there was between 540 - 660 lbs of fuel left in the tanks (this was a 120 lb difference).  That was as accurate as they could get!!  And I am talking about running out of fuel in a helicopter (not conducive to longevity), not stopping beside the road.  :scared:

Basically, take the light as what it is intended to mean, you are getting low on fuel and you had better put some more in soon.  Don't worry about how much exactly is left.

Sorry if that is a bit negative, but the light is only a guide.

FatBoy

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Fatboy,

I know it is only meant as a guide, but I just wanted someone in the know to tell me, rather than all of us guess and estimate.

And it turns out that the dealer was fairly correct, but now I have it from Hyundai itself as a definitive answer.

"Good morning Mr Parmenter,

Please note when the fuel light comes on the dash there is approximately 10% of fuel remaining in the 53litre tank.

Once the light is illuminated then it is recommended to stop at your closest fuel station. As the load onto the engine, such as air con, towing or carry extra loads may affect the range of fuel left.

Kind regards,
Hyundai Motor Company Australia"

^^^^That there was what I was after. So let's say approx. 5.3L left after the light comes on. That's all I wanted.  Now we know exact litres. Problem solvered. I'm not going to bet my left one that I'll get XXXkm after the light, but at least I can say to the wife, you'll get 75km safely after the light, and be confident.

Anywho,

That's me done for a bit.

GM

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Not sure if it't the same over there but we get three warnings - The light, then the Flashing trip computer and then the dreaded moment when it gives up shouting at you and switches the display off altogether. I've had that happen a couple of times.

Offline Green Machine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Lorian,

mine is only an SX, so no trip computer.

GM

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@ Green Machine:

I like definitive answers too, but for each and every car you can only get the true answer by going for a run from when the light in your car comes on till it stops, hopefully with a jerry can in the boot.

I have run out of fuel on road bikes more than once, and I have no intention of repeating the experience in a car...  :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Not sure if it't the same over there but we get three warnings - The light, then the Flashing trip computer and then the dreaded moment when it gives up shouting at you and switches the display off altogether.

I've only ever had the light.

Don't remember reading about the other 2 in the Handbook, will check later, but at what stage do the other 2 come into action?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If I recall correctly When it estimates fifty miles to empty the display flashes. When it estimates twenty five miles to go it blanks the display completely.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If I recall correctly When it estimates fifty miles to empty the display flashes. When it estimates twenty five miles to go it blanks the display completely.

That is interesting ...When we had CRDi with trip computer (CW doesn't have one) The distance remaining used to go to -- when less than 50 KILOMETRES remaining... I did more than 30kms once with those dashes going and they didn't disappear :question:

It is a surprise that with you good folks it does the same at 50 MILES (which is approx 80 Kms)  :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal