i30 Owners Club

Sticky Steering

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have an issue with the steering on my GD Active diesel.
When I first picked the car up I felt that the steering felt slightly odd (and I mentioned it in my initial report on the forum) in that it felt a little "sticky."
I'm guessing I must have got used to it because I haven't thought about it for a long time, but recently I noticed that the steering was somewhat heavy and even more "sticky."
I can't think of how else to describe it. If I'm driving in a straight line, such as on a freeway, the car starts to track slightly off line and the steering "loads up" so that it requires quite a deliberate move of the steering wheel to correct it.
This results in it being difficult to maintain a straight line because then it tracks the other way.
Definitely a strange feeling.
It is an intermittent problem (the worst kind) but it is happening more frequently now so I'll have to get it looked at.
It makes no difference whether the steering is on "comfort," "normal" or "sport." It still does it.
Has anyone else noticed anything similar?
I am always loathe to take my car to a dealership for warranty work because it usually ends up being a wasted day, with no car, nothing found and nothing solved, with them just telling me that the issue has been noted if I have any further problems.
I don't have a day to spare.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Given that the steering assist is electric, it would be iff to the dealer for sure. There have been total steering failures in the past and we don't want you involved in something like that. Sounds like a faulty position sensor.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My 2012 GD hatch steering was perfectly OK in each of the assistance settings. The car ran true and there was no trace of wander in the straight ahead position.

My new 2013 Tourer does not feel quite so 'positive'. Difficult to pinpoint a specific but the straight ahead position seems slightly woolly. Not 'sticky' but a little vague. At first I thought it was side-winds - but the recent spell of calm weather has knocked that theory on the head. I then wondered if the extra overhang behind the back wheels of the tourer is causing the tail to wag the dog. My wife has not noticed anything - so perhaps it is me being too picky.

It is definitely not worth a dealer visit - it is so slight they are bound to not find it.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like a physical/mechanical issue to me. Does it become "stickier" as the outside temperature increases?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm sure the feel gets heavier as the speed increases.

This is what happens on my Active.

Could this be the issue?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Sounds like a physical/mechanical issue to me. Does it become "stickier" as the outside temperature increases?

No, doesn't seem related to outside temperature but it could be possible that it's after I've been driving the car for a while.
I'll have to take more notice.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Could this be the issue?

No, it's not that.
There is definitely an abnormal feel to it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Could this be the issue?

Who knows how Hy have designed this, but on a completely non power assisted car, the steering gets lighter the faster you go.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Could this be the issue?

Who knows how Hy have designed this, but on a completely non power assisted car, the steering gets lighter the faster you go.
The i30 DOES have progressive rate power steering, being lighter to operate at low speeds and becoming progressively more heavy as your speed increases, thus giving much better control at highway speeds, without the "wandering" prevalent in older gen power steering cars.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I typed this up the other day as a post but then lost it all so I’ve taken the advice and am doing it in a Word document first and will copy it over when finished.

I called in to Morley Hyundai a couple of days ago because my intermittent steering problem was present so thought it would be a good time for them to look at it. The conversation went like this.

“I have an intermittent problem with the steering on my GD i30 and it’s doing it right now so I thought I’d call in to see if someone could drive it around the block to see what it is?”

“No, we’re too busy to do that. You’ll have to book it in.”

“I don’t really want to lose my car for a day and it might not be doing it then so I was hoping that someone could spare five minutes just to take it for a quick drive while I’m here and the problem is happening now.”

“No, we don’t have time. What is it doing?”

I explained the symptoms as identified in this thread.

He then said, “Where is your car now?”

“Just outside in the car park.”

He then walked out to my car, unlocked it, got in and started the engine. On the way he asked if it was a driving school car, which it isn’t.

“I know what it will be. We get it a lot with the driving school cars. The EPS (electric power steering) is designed to shut down when it gets too hot. It’s supposed to do that.”

He then proceeded to put the steering on full lock right, left, right, left etc etc while the car was stationary, which I didn’t think was particularly good for the steering components. He did this approximately ten times with violent steering manouvres.

I again told him the symptoms and he said, “Oh, it’s a wheel alignment issue. You’ll have to get a wheel alignment.”

“It doesn’t feel at all like a wheel alignment issue to me.”

“You’re used to conventional power steering. These cars have electric power steering. You will have to get a wheel alignment and that will fix it. Be sure to tell them though that the car has a steering position sensor that needs to be reset. What is happening is because the wheel alignment is out you are fighting against the sensor so you have to get a wheel alignment and reset the sensor.”

Not convinced, I went to my trustworthy tyre shop and relayed it all to them. They had never heard of resetting any sensor but they checked the alignment and found it to be spot on, requiring no adjustment.

He did suggest, however, that I balance and rotate all four wheels to maximize the life of the tyres, given that my car has now done 24,000 kms.

All tyres are wearing evenly but the rear tyres have more tread left than the fronts.

I agreed to this and it cost me $30.00.

I then contacted (by phone) Morley Hyundai but was told they were busy and could they call me back. I said yes.

They did call back later and I explained everything. She then said she knew nothing about it and would have to get the person I originally dealt with to call me back later.

He called back later and I told him the wheel alignment did not require any adjustment and I asked how to get the sensor reset.

I could hear his eyes rolling.

“Well you took your car someone else and that is your choice but now you have to bring it back here and it will cost you $143 to have the sensor reset. We now have to do the whole wheel alignment again and reset the sensor at the same time.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that earlier today when I was there?”

“We use Ian Diffen and they know how to do it and it is included in a wheel alignment which costs $88 with us. But because you chose to go elsewhere it will now cost $143 to reset the sensor.”

“What is actually involved in resetting this sensor. Is it done manually or is it done by computer? How is it actually done?”

“Ian Diffen who we use know how to do it.”

“How can it cost $143 to do what you have told me costs $88 to do inclusive of a wheel alignment which I don’t need?”

“If you had come to us it would have cost $88 but because you didn’t and we now have to reset the sensor it will cost you $143.”

“Why is that, when you are doing no more than you would do if I had had everything done at your dealership in the first place.”

“It is a different code on the computer and it costs $143.”

“I’m not paying $143 for something that is normally $88.”

“Well I’m not going to split hairs with you. I will do it for $88 then.”

I said, “What happens if this doesn’t fix it. You have already sent me for a wheel alignment that I didn’t need and now I’m paying $88 for a sensor reset that I don’t know if I need.”

“I won’t know if it has fixed it until we have done it but if it doesn’t fix it and it is the EPS then the warranty will cover it anyway.”

He then proceeded to book the car in but I have to say I am not happy and not convinced.

This one service person has diagnosed the problem and no one has even driven the car yet. I do not think it is a wheel alignment issue and never did.

They seem to have no desire to solve any issues and all they want the customer to do is book the car in, spend money and waste a day.

There is no friendly customer service at all. In fact I find them quite rude.

I love Hyundai cars (obviously) but in all my experience with Hyundai over the past four years with two i30s, their customer service is well below expectations.

I will have to give this some thought and do some more research on this problem, which is something that they should be doing, not me.

The original steering problem is still there but I doubt that spending even more money on this illusive sensor reset will solve anything.

I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts or experiences in this regard.

Thanks.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Why isn't the whole thing a warranty issue.

Conversation should have been,

"The steering's not functioning correctly."

Describe the symptoms.

"Can you look at it now ?"

"No, we're too busy."

"Give me the earliest booking time & I'll need a loan car"

Get the time, "Goodbye"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Far out Brussel Sprout...

We need a smiley with smoke coming out the ears.. I am cranky now, just reading that Dave (that is bull $hit)

If that happened to me I would print out what you just documented and demand a chance to show it to the Dealer Principal  :undecided: :fum:

That Guy (service Manager?) needs a long lesson in Service... 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Is there another hy dealers available to visit?

From the post personally i think they haven't a clue what the issue is and as the majority of steering issues relate to alignment they are just guessing.

Quoting  high $$$$ may be it is to get you to go away.

Re eps shutting down when hot!
Don't recall reading about this in the handbook as surely this is a safety issue.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hyundai dealerships over here are owned by conglomerates.
DVG own Morley and also the dealership closest to me, Midland and probably others too.
AHG own other Hyundai dealerships.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Has anyone ever owned a car where power steering could shut itself off, I think not.  :fum:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I think I read her lips.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
There is a sensor in the power steering but it's purpose is AFAIK to just centre the steering wheel after an alignment.  And also AFAIK, if the alignment is carrie dout and the steering wheel is not off centre, then the sensor DOES NOT need resetting.
I'd be recording my concerns with the way he treated your steering by swinging it from lock to lock.
What an arsehole.

I can just imagine Dave when he typed this all out the first time..........and lost the post. I think I heard him from here. :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Haven't installed Lazarus yet, db08  :question:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Not yet.

And thanks Trev.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl:

Well, we wouldn't encourage swearing on this family forum, would we.   :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

DVG own Morley and also the dealership closest to me, Midland and probably others too.

May be but it is the people in the dealership so another branch may have better people skills.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I would just try my chances at an other service centre. I can't believe how far apart sales and service are at Morley. Nothing but prize for one and total disaster for the other. Dave, when they ring you next to get the car in for a service, tell them that due to their abysmal attitude, can shove the lot up their backside.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

May be but it is the people in the dealership so another branch may have better people skills.
Absolutely true.
It's the people who make the difference at the end of the day.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

This is happening at Morley.
Midland is the one on my last car who didn't do the free service but said they had, although that was a few years ago now.
But that means I'd have to take it further afield still.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal