i30 Owners Club

Chip Tuning (Again)

Xamaxy
@Lakes
Well, i dont know about larger injectors effect other than what you said seems logical. However, what about the price? I hear injectors are extremely expensive.

"i'm thinking the box plugged into the common rail would be just to try to raise fuel pressure in common rail."
Why would you want to change anything else? 
More than this implies ecu flash i think.
This is only thing that is important as i see it. You have injectors working at a little higher pressure, making them cleaner and still within factory tolerance. nothing else doesnt need to be controlled. no?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
@Lakes
Well, i dont know about larger injectors effect other than what you said seems logical. However, what about the price? I hear injectors are extremely expensive.

"i'm thinking the box plugged into the common rail would be just to try to raise fuel pressure in common rail."
Why would you want to change anything else? 
More than this implies ecu flash i think.
This is only thing that is important as i see it. You have injectors working at a little higher pressure, making them cleaner and still within factory tolerance. nothing else doesnt need to be controlled. no?

Yes i'm sure the larger injectors would not be cheap.
i'm thinking the i30 CRDi 6 speed i have now has different injectors than the 5 speed i30 CRDi i had from 08 to 11 , they look the same but the part # on them is different. i also think it runs a higher pressure in the commonrail. it deffinately pulls smoother in all gears from lower rev's, the 5 speed would sometimes get jerky spots in different gears, but i was used to it. this 6 speed also shifts gear quicker & smoother 5 speed was notchy but also i was used to that, too.
so what i'm thinking is the tuning box raises fuel pressure & this in turn atomizes the fuel better to get a better burn but i'm just guessing.
i'm happy how mine runs now, so i'll just leave it.
i think if someone that knows how to tune a diesel re mapped the ECU software & had the use of a good Dyno to test there ajustments, that would be the best. but then again, more Power & More Torque costs $ in long run. not say in just fuel useage but say in Tyre wear, transmission wear, drive train wear & so on.
but more TQ = more enjoyment, specially going up big hills!

Xamaxy
I cant verify if the injectors are the same or not.
Do oyu know the difference between 1.6 crdi, 2.0crdi in i30 and 184hp diesel in ix35?

Thing you notice perhaps is difference in gears ratio? In 6sp manual you have 6 short speeds rather then 5 long, and that can be linked to better response.

"so what i'm thinking is the tuning box raises fuel pressure & this in turn atomizes the fuel better to get a better burn but i'm just guessing. "

I said that long time ago on this forum and many of you were like no way, more horses, more food and that simply it is not possible to get more hp and better economy. I read topic about not being able to get tuning box on 1.6 crdi because of some Bosch protection of ECU hehehehe pure laughter :mrgreen:

"but then again, more Power & More Torque costs $ in long run. not say in just fuel useage but say in Tyre wear, transmission wear, drive train wear & so on. "

Give a car to an idiot and he will destroy stock setup in 500kilometers!
You have few posts up 847563 reply, does he think normal driving can do any damage on his tuned car? This is all that matters.
How much in lets say percentage you use that extra power? Is it possible to say that you reduce life span of mentioned parts by that much? Say 15%? Is it important on 200.000km that transmission need to last atlest?

Dyno tune is irrelevant. When you have tuning box with either preset values or like mine new with install cd and usb to tweak the map, you need to know what you are doing. No dyno test will save your car from noob tuner.
Mine new map is via USB corrected factory map to get me better boost from 1500rpm for easier driving and linear torque across entire diagram.
Dude in hyundai that made this said: "doing corrections on factory made map is childs play compared to creating not existing map for 360hp hyudnai coupe 2.0T".

More tq= more fun, true, use it wisely and no harm done  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
thats all True Xamaxy. i have a number of friends that own Dyno's & know how to use them properly, all they are is a Tool to test your work, same as a Flow Bench is also a tool to test your work on increasing air flow. it's all of interest to me. with Diesel i've been told if they run too rich they run hot, with petrol if they run too lean they run hot. Australia gets hot in Summer, it's summer now, but my CRDi loves it warm. Hey Xamaxy if i could have a 2.0 CRDi i30 i would have it! as more engine capacity more TQ & HP theere is always a limit to what you can get from a small motor.

Xamaxy
What are your thoughts on free flow exhaust in context with this temp increase?
Since CRDi has many silencers, catalytic converters etc they got to be strain on turbo since they are, im guessing, very restrictive in getting hot air as fast as possible out?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
What are your thoughts on free flow exhaust in context with this temp increase?
Since CRDi has many silencers, catalytic converters etc they got to be strain on turbo since they are, im guessing, very restrictive in getting hot air as fast as possible out?

I imagine it would be illegal to remove the catalytic converter, Lakes and myself amongst others tried a "cat back" free flowing 2" system with minimal success (in my case a nicer exhaust note but little or no improvement to performance or economy) I will try and find the old but well subscribed thread and post a link here...

There are about 7 pages and although early feedback was positive results were mixed and generally disappointing  :undecided:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=109.msg500#msg500
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Xamaxy
Nice.
Well, that illegal removal is biggest crap ever invented. Last week i went for yearly insurance and technical check up and i passed eco-test without slight trouble!
In fact minimum values in all fields.
Well, that pretty much solves this topic :d

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice.
Well, that illegal removal is biggest crap ever invented. Last week i went for yearly insurance and technical check up and i passed eco-test without slight trouble!
In fact minimum values in all fields.
Well, that pretty much solves this topic :d

You removed your Catalyst Converter?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Here are today's figures for our car fitted with a french fry.

Computer indicates 5.7 l/100 kms, as I suspected, there is a variation because of the FF.

Distance travelled   783.6 k

Cost $80.88 @$1.529 = 52.879 Lts.  Result 6.751 l/100k or 41.846 mpg

For an auto, I don't think that's too bad.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Phil

That is quite good for an auto but 1LPH is a big difference between Computer and actual (much bigger than usual) are you saying the Computer was reset when this tankful was started??  :eek:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I reset all, at every fill.  BTW average was 44km/h. Wifey is harder on the go pedal than me too. :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
I got one of those -nolimit tuning box from ebay  posted from (germany)

Still finetuning with it as it came on setting 7 of 12 and I keep getting the CEL (after the first drive then turn the car back on and the CEL is on) not sure what Ive done so far to clear it, ive tried disconnecting the - terminal and also a couple of start and stops on the original cr plug and its gone)

Ive also tried it on setting 1 (lowest) and this was fine around town but on the highway it seemed to struggle and shudder trying to get from 100 to 110 (fuel starvation ?)

Im hoping to try it on settings 2 - 6 and hopefully dont get the CEL but get that extra kick lower in the rev range that I get from setting 7 (until the CEL light).

economy - cant tell until I get a stable setting.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It is just that - a case of try-and-see with the settings I'm afraid.

Can't remember getting a CEL when I played with mine tho. Do you have a trouble code reader?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Unforunately no - dont have a reader... be interesting to know what its complaining about (especially dont want setting 1 that was worse than stock at 110kph yet didnt throw the CEL back on...)

no-limit advised me there is a little green led in the box that should be green when ign is on and then something else when you start car then rev to 3000rpm.. hopefully they will provide more answers on this new bit of info  (which was not in the instruction sheet provided  :rolleyes:)

(As i mentioned i somehow cleared the latest CEL from displaying) and have set the box to level 5 tonite - will hopefully start it tomorrow and have no CEL but the power of level 7)....

Would have been better to be able to use level 12  :evil: :whistler: but until I can find what the error code is this is a bit out of reach...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal