i30 Owners Club

Link-Rod

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Seems I only remember about this forum whenever I have a problem with my i30..  :-[

Anyway, my i30 has had a knocking noise coming from what I thought was the rear of the car whenever I drove on bumpy roads. I had it checked by a mechanic friend who says the OSF link-rod has play. Is this a warranty job, or likely to fall under 'wear and tear' as its part of the suspension? Car has done 26k and is a '59 plate.

Also, wife came out of work on Sunday night to a flat battery. She is adamant she left no lights on anywhere in the car, and since Sunday I've noticed the brake lights intermittantly don't always go out when the brake pedal is released. When it happens I have to hook my toe behind the pedal and push up to put the lights out. Mate thinks a faulty switch or sensor is at fault here and the probably cause for Sunday's flat. Again, is this a warranty job?

I asked at my local dealership but the lad on the desk looked at me as if I was an alien from space and had asked him about warp coils and anti-matter mixtures, and whether they were covered under warranty. He said he would check and let me know, but I haven't heard so far... so I'm asking you, knowlegable fellow Hyundai owners.  :)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
WARRANTY ..... mines a 59 plate and I would expect them to be attended to.   The Work Experience boy is not the one you need to speak too.   Organ grinders and monkeys springs to mind here.

good luck  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not sure what the warranty period was in the UK when you bought your car but I would expect both those faults to be well and truly covered under warranty if you are still within the warranty period (which I suspect you are)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A faulty brake switch, which keeps the brake light circuit live, would certainly suck the life out of your battery as it doesn't need the key in to be 'active'. That's a warranty jobby for sure.

26k miles shouldn't really wear or tear anything, but you might need to check that with your dealer.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I asked at my local dealership but the lad on the desk looked at me as if I was an alien from space and had asked him about warp coils and anti-matter mixtures, and whether they were covered under warranty. He said he would check and let me know, but I haven't heard so far... so I'm asking you, knowlegable fellow Hyundai owners.  :)

Don't blame him, seen your avatar lately, if you went in dressed like that it's no wonder. I think your faults are both warranty items.  :goodjob2: :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Meant to update this and forgot.. both were fixed under warranty, although I don't think the dealer was too impressed when I told him it had been serviced by Arnold Shark and proceeded to tell me tales of Arnold's 'servicing', voiding dealership warranties when it comes to light during inspections that Arnold uses OEM parts and not manufacturer parts. Told me a very worrying tale of a customer suffering a blown catalytic converter, which was attributed to AS using the wrong grade of engine oil during a service...  :scared:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Told me a very worrying tale of a customer suffering a blown catalytic converter, which was attributed to AS using the wrong grade of engine oil during a service...  :scared:

The grade of oil required has been an off/on topic since day 1 of this site.

I had my previous i30 serviced by the dealer so to put the onus on them should a warranty claim be rejected because of oil grade.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline doctorbutcher

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Livingston
Told me a very worrying tale of a customer suffering a blown catalytic converter, which was attributed to AS using the wrong grade of engine oil during a service...  :scared:

The grade of oil required has been an off/on topic since day 1 of this site.

I had my previous i30 serviced by the dealer so to put the onus on them should a warranty claim be rejected because of oil grade.

I wasn't at all aware that such a thing could have invalidated any warranty.. puts a big question mark on the merits of AC's servicing plan at the time of sale if they are using OEM/incorrect parts & fluids in their services.

I'll know for next time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Meant to update this and forgot.. both were fixed under warranty, although I don't think the dealer was too impressed when I told him it had been serviced by Arnold Shark and proceeded to tell me tales of Arnold's 'servicing', voiding dealership warranties when it comes to light during inspections that Arnold uses OEM parts and not manufacturer parts. Told me a very worrying tale of a customer suffering a blown catalytic converter, which was attributed to AS using the wrong grade of engine oil during a service...  :scared:

Could be just scare tactics (just supply your own oil at the next service) Mind you his last name is a worry  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
for anyone in Australia,a linkrod is know to us as a swaybar link .  :winker: common fault in the i30/elantra touring and Australian sold elantra.  :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Changed both mine myself in 2 hours taking it easy a while back now.
£11.50 the pair delivered off E-Bay... much less than Hyundai or the local Motor factors were asking, (around £40 IIRC)

• Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
problem solved?  :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal