Strange Noise On Starting

Jeksa2 · 29 · 15988

Offline Jeksa2

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cranbourne, Victoria
Hi,

I have the new i30 Elite.

When starting "First" thing in the morning l get a strange noise that only lasts for about 1 or 2 secs. To me it sounds like something is priming, but that might just be me.

It does not happen every time. It might miss a few days and then do it again.

Any clues out there please? As my local dealer mechanic looks at me as if l am stupid.

It does not appear to effect the running of the car at all.

Cheers

John R Williams :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
g'day john.  :razz:  it may only be the fuel pump,both my 09 FD 2.0 petrol i30s do it.  :idea:  but I'm not 100% sure about the GD i30.  :undecided:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Is it a high pitched whistle or hum?
I've got one on mine but it appears to be connected to the small red light that flashes in the centre of the dashboard (you can see it from outside) which I am presuming is something to do with the immobiliser as it flashes when the car engine is off.
But when I get that noise, the light is a solid light.
Not quite sure as I haven't read up on it and it might be completely different to your noise.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pretty sure it's only the fuel pump, perfectly normal.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Does the Oz Elite have the keyless stop/start or do you have a key?

If you have a key you should hear the same noise without starting the engine by switching to IGN if it is the fuel pump...
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The Oz Elite is keyless with a starter button.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Mine has the same problem, along with a lot of the new 1.8l petrol i30's and elantra's. If its the rattle you're talking about during cold start up, its a lack of oil pressure in the top of the engine. I've already asked Hyundai about this and they say its perfectly normal for these engines. It's a bit dodgy if you ask me. You'll notice the knock goes away when it builds up oil pressure and the oil light turns off, a second or two after start up..? Hmmmmm...

Pip
If it is lack of oil then it's not so much "pressure" but "flow".  Lower (cold) viscosity will improve flow.  If it was mine I'd be trying a 0w oil to see if it helps.  If it only lasts a second I wouldn't be stressed though - but still would try to fix it. :cool:

Offline billiejoe87

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woy Woy
Did anyone end up finding out what causes this issue? There are countless threads all over the internet on this problem (Especially with Elantra's) which as far as I know share the same Engine with the i30 (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I get the same noise for about 2-3 seconds when I first start the car, although like others here, some days it happens, some days it doesn't. The Hyundai technician knew all about the noise and said it's a common occurrence but had no idea what causes it.

If anyone wants to hear what it sounds like have a listen to the link below. It sounds like a whirrrrrrr type sound.

!
  • Hyundai i30 2012 Active

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Is it the sound from 4-6 seconds that you're referring to  :question:

Offline billiejoe87

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woy Woy
Is it the sound from 4-6 seconds that you're referring to  :question:

Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes it's the noise between the 4th and 6th second in that video.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I can't think of anything specific, however I offer these suggestions.

Does it only makes the noise on 1st start up each day only, or at start up through the day as well.

Open the bonnet and safely observe & listen to the engine start (beware of moving parts), try to get a directional indication of where the sound comes from. this may take many times before you are successful.

Try to identify the type of sound, is it mechanical, two items rubbing, or some other type.
The pitch of the sound increases as though it happens and the rapidly increases speed, does it increase at the same rate as the engine does, or faster, or slower.

My guess is that it's not serious, just annoying and to me could possibly be something to do with your pcv valve which rapidly ceases when correct pressures are attained in the engine. Or some other valve type which quickly controlled by vacuum.

Offline billiejoe87

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woy Woy
I can't think of anything specific, however I offer these suggestions.

Does it only makes the noise on 1st start up each day only, or at start up through the day as well.

Open the bonnet and safely observe & listen to the engine start (beware of moving parts), try to get a directional indication of where the sound comes from. this may take many times before you are successful.

Try to identify the type of sound, is it mechanical, two items rubbing, or some other type.
The pitch of the sound increases as though it happens and the rapidly increases speed, does it increase at the same rate as the engine does, or faster, or slower.

My guess is that it's not serious, just annoying and to me could possibly be something to do with your pcv valve which rapidly ceases when correct pressures are attained in the engine. Or some other valve type which quickly controlled by vacuum.

9 times out of 10 it's only on the first start of the day. I think only twice since owning the car has it done it on a second start and that was when there was over 8 hours between the first and second start.

To be honest I've got no idea when it comes to cars. On the Elantra forum, they mention that one dealer was patient and nice enough to dismantle the whole engine and go from there to find the cause and still couldn't, so I doubt I'd be able to. Typing into Google and seeing how widespread the noise is (Particularly with Elantra's made me think someone might have got an answer.

Hyundai replaced the oil valve? for me believing that would help, and it did for about 3 weeks there was no noise. It is back now however. So I don't know if that means anything.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You have to be like a detective sometimes to track these things down. The way I work is to try to isolate 1 thing at a time and see if there are any improvements. Is sounds like the "oil valve" I assume you mean the PCV valve, is definitely involved, due to the noise vanishing for 3 weeks.

If you're not mechanically minded or experienced then I would suggest that you have the service dept remove and clean the valve again and also check for kinks or any obstruction that could be causing the noise. If it vanishes again for a period of time, it would then be possible to return the car and ask, why the noise recurs after a few weeks and to have them "fix" it, once and for all.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
My 2c

You will hear the electric fuel pump boost pressure in the lines for one or two seconds on every modern car on the road, when you first turn the key to 'on' but do not start the engine.  This is normal.  I always wait until the pump finishes its little boost before I start the engine.  The reason is that in the pressurised and sealed fuel system on injected engines temperature changes cause vapor locks in the fuel lines.  The pump starts before the engine to boost pressure in the fuel lines so that the engine can start smoothly, or in hotter weather you will have trouble starting your car and keeping it running.

To see if it's your pump, stick your key in, turn it to "on" but don't start the engine.  Your dash lights etc should come on and from under the car near the fuel tank you should hear a hiss or a whine for a couple of seconds.  Just the fuel pump.  On the first gen i30s it also comes on after engine shut down for a second

Someone else mentioned a rattling noise on cold starts.  This is common in nearly every new car at this price point I've encountered.  My rpevious car with a 1.6 petrol, my current 2.0L, a 1.8 I had (all N/A petrol) a lot of mazdas and toyotas etc all make this noise.

I am not perfectly certain why, I do believe it has to do with oil flow at start up and when the engine and oil are cold.

Offline Jeksa2

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Cranbourne, Victoria
Finally.

Filmed mine on star up and got the noise.

Down to my local dealer and the service manager said it is the "Oil Pump"

It is a known problem with the Elantra.

They are now contacting Hyundai to see what is to be done.

Apparently no damage is being done

Chhers

Jeksa

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Nothing like video evidence, beats computer error codes every time.  :goodjob2:

Hope you get a satisfactory result Jeksa2.

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,
Just wondering if this start up noise issue has been resolved.  I hear the same noise but have been ignoring it.  Hope it is nothing serious though. Cheers.
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome murrakami,

No definitive answer that I can see. Seems to be intermittent for some (does yours come and go?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi murrakami,
I had the same issue with mine. See also the thread started by Panda titled "weird noise on start up". Panda had that issue and said it happened between about 500kms and 1500kms. Mine was exactly the same. Now that I have just passed 1500kms, the noise has stopped. Prior to that I was a little concerned about it and searched the internet for more info on it, of which there is plenty. If never seen any reports of it leading to a bigger problem, but if it was still doing it when the next service was due I would have mentioned it the the dealer. Anyway, it's stopped now so I'm happy.
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The car has done almost 2,500 kms and it still does it every initial start up in the morning.  I' ll report the issue in the next service if it still persists by then.  Other than this, I am quite pleased with the i30.  Cheers.
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Purple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I'm up to about 5000km and still does it once or twice a day.  The mechanics finally heard it about a week a go when I parked there for a few hours in the hope it would do it.  They were going to do a little research and see what they could find out.  The other week the noise lasted over 30 seconds which is the longest so far sounded like a formula 1 race car changing gears  :)
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :confused: :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Mine does this too. lIt has since new and it got worse until its first service. It doesnt do it for as long now but it still does it. I took the car to Blacktown Hyundai in Sydney and they reassured me it wasn't a problem and that its not causing any damage. I beg to differ. For one, the oil light stays lit for the entire time it does it, indicating low oil pressure. The sound goes away once the car builds up oil pressure, hence why the oil light goes out along with the noise..
My car has 12500km on it, and it has consistent tappet noise when it idles now. That kind of tick tick tick sound you shouldn't really be hearing which seems to be louder than the engine its self.
I bet my left nut thats due to 12500kms of cold starts with no oil pressure in the top end of the motor, and parts are beginning to wear..

Not to worry, its covered under warranty....

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The car came with 8 yrs warranty (3 yrs thrown in by the dealer) but I still hope that I'll not end up claiming it.  Imagine all  the hassles of getting the car repaired.  Anyway, RossC I think you're car is almost up for the 15k service.  Please let us know how it goes.
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline RossC

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The car came with 8 yrs warranty (3 yrs thrown in by the dealer) but I still hope that I'll not end up claiming it.  Imagine all  the hassles of getting the car repaired.  Anyway, RossC I think you're car is almost up for the 15k service.  Please let us know how it goes.

Sorry, I meant it's second service.. I got the 15k service done at 12k instead.

Offline adam_b16

• 1st Gear
Finally.

Filmed mine on star up and got the noise.

Down to my local dealer and the service manager said it is the "Oil Pump"

It is a known problem with the Elantra.

They are now contacting Hyundai to see what is to be done.

Apparently no damage is being done

Chhers

Jeksa

Hi Jeksa,

Could you please let us know what the result was from your last dealer enquiry? Did they end up replacing your oil pump and/or finding a solution to the rattle at start up? I have the same noise with my i30 and I am seeking some insight. My dealer has also told me "nothing to worry about"...

Thank you
  • 2012 GD i30 Active

Offline Purple

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi Adam, I also had this problem and as said in the other thread about this issue I finally got Hyundai to replace my oil pump cover at about 15,000km under warranty and have not had this noise since - I used to have it multiple times a day.  Hope this helps for you!
  • 2013 Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal