My car's falling apart

Tazgal · 29 · 9324

Offline Tazgal

• 2nd Gear
  • You Wish

• au Australia
      Sydney
I was hosing it down and a piece fell off :blubber:
The chrome strip at the bottom of the small window at the rear of the car....it fell off after hosing it :Shocked:
What next :eek:
  • I-30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Probably all the chrome strips, then the door handles, followed the lights and finally the wheels.
It's doomed now.  :lol:
Only joking - hopefully nothing more.
I forget, you're still under warranty aren't you?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Probably all the chrome strips, then the door handles, followed the lights and finally the wheels.
I hope so with that model shape.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I hope so with that model shape.

:lol:
I forgot what she had.
Straight back to the dealership then, I reckon.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Hosing it or Jetwashing it?

With a jetwash I would advise anyone to keep a good 1 meter at least away from the bodywork and always use a 45degree angle to the panels, otherwise you can actually blow paint off (any make) or trim parts as experienced here.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
bugger me your lucky, you have chrome to fall off.unlike Dave said hopefully it will stop with that one peice
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
bugger me your lucky, you have chrome to fall off.unlike Dave said hopefully it will stop with that one peice

Yeah, and looking on the bright side a nice piece of chrome like that would raise good $ on ebay  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I wonder what the general feels is for build quality of FD vs GD? Everyone praised Hyundai for taking a massive step forward with the initial i30. I wonder if it's possible for a car to slip backwards with a subsequent model in terms of quality?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wonder what the general feels is for build quality of FD vs GD? Everyone praised Hyundai for taking a massive step forward with the initial i30. I wonder if it's possible for a car to slip backwards with a subsequent model in terms of quality?

db08 (Dave) and a couple of others seem to think their FD had less faults early in the piece than their new GD (so might be possible)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

In absolute terms, my GD has had more (minor) warranty claims than my FD did.

But in reality, my GD is a nicely put-together car with very few issues and I have to say that I am glad that I decided to change to the new model as it picks up so many improvements over the original (great) FD.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I think the build quality directly relates to what your paying for the car,I don't look at the GD's all that much,but the few I have had a good look at SEEM to have a slightly better build quality, especially inside, mind you don't own one so don't know whether the GD's get the annoying little internal rattles which come and go like in the FD's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I've had my GD for four and a half months now and have covered 18,000 kms.
It has a glove box rattle (buzz) that is very annoying when on the highway, that my old car did not have.  :disapp:
Plus I still have a question mark over the gearbox, which although much nicer to use than the one in my 5 speed FD, still occasionally objects to slotting into 3rd & 4th gears. Very occasionally mind you, but enough to be annoying.
Other than that, the gear change is much improved and I do still love driving it on a day to day basis.
Plus the economy is better.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Does the Top of the range GD have as much / as many whistles & bells as the Premium FD I have?

I never knew the New car List price for the FD Premium (petrol) but for the £8,500 I paid for mine it's unbelievably good in all respects, proper VFM and almost rattle free. Everything still works, I upgraded the front bulbs because the light output wasnt fantastic but other than that, and besides my for ever feeling it needs a 6th gear, maybe better carpets too.... I'm over the moon with build quality, looks & reliability.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
With a jetwash I would advise anyone to keep a good 1 meter at least away from the bodywork and always use a 45degree angle to the panels, otherwise you can actually blow paint off (any make) or trim parts as experienced here.

Yeah to that. I only jetwashed my old exel once to decide it was not a good idea. Blew the coating off the passenger side rear view mirror completely. Standard hose on spray setting from then on for all cars.
  • 2011 i30 SX, 2Ltr petrol Silver

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I always wash my car with a jet wash.....guess I'm lucky it's not back to bare metal... :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I always wash my car with a jet wash.....guess I'm lucky it's not back to bare metal... :lol:

Me too.. (well a GMC "karcher" anyway)  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Are they any good, Daz?  :undecided:

GMC went broke a few years back.

I bought a kit with a heap of accessories in a fancy carry case on special for around $100 and the nozzle trigger thingy leaked like a sieve. I rang their helpline and they sent me another full kit, no questions asked!  :Shocked:

The 2nd kit works fine. I have a spare for everything but the trigger (which seems to be the weakest part)  :happydance:

I have a few GMC tools which are still going strong. Average quality but were good value.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Ok, thanks!

I think my mitre saw was a GMC....  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I wouldn't use a Karcher type machine on my car's paintwork. I can't see any reason to do so. The dirt comes off easily from a painted surface.  Maybe up under a wheel arch if I' been through mud, or the wheels.

I had a GMC linw trimmer and the bump feed broke. They sent me a whole  new unit, too. Asked me if I minded dumping the old one,  Sure, full set of parts like Dazz. But it was a rubbish unit and long gone now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I mainly use it to clean under the guards and loosen the bugs on the front bumper and stuff  :goodjob:

.. and because it uses less of our precious water (apparently) :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^ :goodjob:
About a fifth of the water useage apparently. Mine comes in handy on the concrete and pavers which get mould on them.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Me too.. (well a GMC "karcher" anyway)  :whistler:

I used to,but after seeing what a freind did with the same model Karcher I have,not any more, mine is what would be considered a hanyman pressure washer,but if not careful and washing something in thongs(no not those ones the ones for your feet)it will cut through your skin

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll keep that safety warning in mind Rick. Thongs thanks for the warning  :snigger:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I used to,but after seeing what a freind did with the same model Karcher I have,not any more, mine is what would be considered a hanyman pressure washer,but if not careful and washing something in thongs(no not those ones the ones for your feet)it will cut through your skin

Good idea to wear shorts as well then.  :scared:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Good idea to wear shorts as well then.  :scared:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: or what 'Ya reckon wee willy winky"could go missing in the wash  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Tazgal

• 2nd Gear
  • You Wish

• au Australia
      Sydney
From my detached chrome strip to wee willy winky :Shocked:
I took it to the car wash and used there spray cannon :confused:guess i better go more gentle on it.Anyway its booked in for a stripodectomy...they'll prob super glue it back on :mrgreen:
  • I-30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
From my detached chrome strip to wee willy winky :Shocked:
I took it to the car wash and used there spray cannon :confused:guess i better go more gentle on it.Anyway its booked in for a stripodectomy...they'll prob super glue it back on :mrgreen:

Tazgal

The Mere Male Mind works logically through all problems, this could have been a possibility

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This strip falling off may not be "a one of" .. Met a couple with a month old GD Premium CRDi and they said someone had stolen a chrome strip from around their back window! (maybe it just fell off)  :confused:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal