i30 Owners Club

Whine went transmission is engaged and brake pedal is depressed

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All,

It is audible when the car is on drive and the brake is engaged to keep the car from creeping.  If I put the car on neutral the whining stops or is barely audible.  The noise is not loud but a bit annoying when all is quiet inside the car.  Is this normal for the petrol GD?

Cheers,
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Manual or auto?

How many miles/k's?

If manual i would guess clutch release bearing.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

It is auto and has done 3,600 kms only.

With that k, i'd be taking it back to the dealer to sort out

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Off topic slightly, but useful for browsers with "whining". I thought I had a wheelbearing going bit it turns out its a tyre issue. Nothing visibly wrong with the tyre but rotating all 4 has fixed it. I picked up the idea from the Kia C'eed guys. Along with Audi owners.... And some VW & Vauxhall guys.... Thought to be something to do with independent rear suspension, but not a fault as such.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I forgot to mention that if I let go of the brake and let the car creep there is no whine.
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Stinger

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Munno Para, South Australia
    • My Personal Photography page. Feel free to "like"!
Interesting....
I have a petrol GD. When I first start it in the morning (especially when it is cold) i get a fairly loud whiiirrr from the motor. It sounds like a chamber filling with air or something. Only happens for about 10-20 seconds then stops. It does not do it after this throughout the day even when cold.
I am not sure if this is a fault as it was serviced 3 days ago and all is good.. but it could possibly be the same noise i get. not sure.
  • i30 2013 GD Elite, White.

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I also have the same issue during start up (there is a thread about this).   I guess my i30 is just simply whiner!
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Off topic slightly, but useful for browsers with "whining". I thought I had a wheelbearing going bit it turns out its a tyre issue. Nothing visibly wrong with the tyre but rotating all 4 has fixed it. I picked up the idea from the Kia C'eed guys. Along with Audi owners.... And some VW & Vauxhall guys.... Thought to be something to do with independent rear suspension, but not a fault as such.
Do You Think  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Getting to the whine(not wine or you wouldn't be complaining  :whistler:) this could be early warning signs there is a auto pump failure beginning,take it back to the dealer and have it checked.

Some Auto's when low on oil will make this type noise,take it back to the dealer and have it checked

This noise can also happen if auto bands are incorrectly adjusted,take it back to the dealer and have it checked.

A brand new Auto transmission should not be making any noises at all,other than a very very slight thud as you place it in gear,from your discription(I can't hear it) this does not sound correct to me personally
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Good point about the transmission oil so I thought of checking the level.  It was my first time to open the hood since I bought the car 8 months ago and I could not find the dip stick. I then consulted the manual and found no reference to a transmission fluid dip stick.  Am I missing something here?

Cheers
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Good point about the transmission oil so I thought of checking the level.  It was my first time to open the hood since I bought the car 8 months ago and I could not find the dip stick. I then consulted the manual and found no reference to a transmission fluid dip stick.  Am I missing something here?

Cheers

I do not wish to sound condisending here,but Holy cow,first time you have opened the bonnet in eight months,I'm just gob smacked,your obviously someone who has the upmost confidence in the gauges and the electronic warning systems in your car,I do a vehicle pre check EVERY day.

Anyhow,back to your gearbox,from what I understand they are a sealed unit,this is something that has to been done by the dealer,I'm not a 100% sure but I think the dipstick would be on the fill bolt,I know they can be drained and oil replaced as I had a warranty job done on one of our manuals,so it can be checked,haven't had much to do with the Auto's,I'm only relating the noise to that of older auto's I can't see why modern auto's are any different

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yes i am one those who rely on the car's dashboard warning lights and chimes.  I clock less than 10k  kms a year only so i tend to assume that the fluids should last until the next service.    :lol:

The i30 is due for  its 1st service this December and  i am flagging the transmission issue.  In the meantime, i'll put it on neutral when stationary or crank up the stereo to drown the whine. 
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is the wife in the car???  I know I hear a lot of annoying whines when mine joins me in my car  :snigger:

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just got my car serviced and here are the findings relating to this issue: "Carried out diagnostic test, no fault codes found. Road tested vehicle, unable to reproduce concern."  Both transmission and wife are now under observation. :wacko:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 00:45:40 by Phil №❶ »
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Just got my car serviced and here are the findings relating to this issue: "Carried out diagnostic test, no fault codes found. Road tested vehicle, unable to reproduce concern."  Both transmission and wife are now under observation. :wacko:

:rofl: I love it the way Hy always has that stock answer for EVERYTHING,we could not reproduce the reported problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

How annoying (the Dealer, not the wife)  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I ALWAYS get that answer from the dealerships.  :fum:

Maybe that is one of the ECU's error messages  :idea:

Error #76 "unable to replicate the fault"

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Do you have reader?

Youcoukd check what codes are showing before you go to dealers then call their bluff..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do you have reader?

Youcoukd check what codes are showing before you go to dealers then call their bluff..

Problem is some issues don't seem to throw up a fault code (but they are still problems)  :evil:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

So you have a transmission that whines a lot and your brake pedal is depressed......
Poor car.
Perhaps if you can stop putting your foot on the brake pedal so much it might lift its self esteem a bit.
As for the whining, you'll probably find it's just the way your transmission is geared.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline murrakami

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I am now in the habit of putting the car on neutral when at the traffic lights or idling for long periods.  Never had this issue with the Getz.
  • hyundai i30 GD Active

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Do autos has thurst bearings or similar

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No they don't, but they have many valves to channel oil through a multitude of channels. When the engine is running, there is a transmission oil pump which circulates oil to provide driving force, the pressure increases with engine load.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal