i30 Owners Club

Broken Spark Plug - not changed during service - VOIDED WARRANTY?

JUDY · 177 · 42511

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Does anyone think it strange that Hyundai didn't take the plug out and replace it and then test it because the car was clearly running on 3 cylinders?
  • 2010 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes.  :undecided:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's a yes from me, too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I already said i found it strange. Just change the plug.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Does anyone think it strange that Hyundai didn't take the plug out and replace it and then test it because the car was clearly running on 3 cylinders?

Yes, I already said that too  :scared:

"I'd want to be  sure that this cant just be easily fixed by a new plug, before committing to the head removal."

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Remember, this car is still under warranty so to just slap another spark plug in without making sure there is no other damage would leave them wide open to claims of incompetence....  :undecided:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Remember, this car is still under warranty so to just slap another spark plug in without making sure there is no other damage would leave them wide open to claims of incompetence....  :undecided:

I think they are saying its no longer under warranty (at least for related engine faults) due to failure to honor service requirements?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I get that but if they just put another plug in and fired it up causing more damage then surely they would be then liable?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I get that but if they just put another plug in and fired it up causing more damage then surely they would be then liable?

sure, doesn't stop the owner doing it though, as long as they understand and accept the risks. I wouldn't expect the dealer to want to do it. Personally I'd borescope, If I don't see ceramic or bits of ring on the crown I'd assume the bits have blown out the exhaust port and stick a new plug in, but then I am bitterly opposed to buying a relatively inexpensive car and then paying through the nose for dealer services.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

Yeah, but as i said earlier they could check for internal damage with an endoscope (borescope) first before talking about a head removal (the mechanics or the engines ?)
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yeah, I understand that, I'm just responding to the comments about why didn't Hyundai just replace the spark plug...

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I've never heard of a plug failure like that. I'd be changing all the plugs for a more reputable brand. :eek:

I've seen it happen, bent valve and electrode embedded in the piston, and it was a champion spark plug
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Thats if they have a borescope, back in my days we didn't have them and what we did was to get a bulb what they use in dash's, solder 2 of the thinnest wire you could get your hands and connect it up to the battery and bring the piston to near top dead centre and put the bulb down into the chamber and use a mirror to look at it.

But I personally would try to look inside the chamber first and if it looks ok, no doubt there will be marks on the piston crown, but don't forget  if the centre of the sparkplug as gone down the bore a couple of things can happen.

its embedded in the piston and even crack the piston
it could of embedded in the cylinder head
or tried to blow out on the exhaust stroke and bend a valve, bearing in mind the valve opening isn't all that great and even if it sparkplug broke into fragments there's a good chance damage can still be caused with the valve seat being damaged

If all looks ok I would try a new plug, but also I would do a compression test first as the revolutions are a fraction of the speed of a running engine

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Can you do a plug change yourself to see how the car performs?
Depending on that outcome, I think it's your decision whether to pursue the matter (lots of hassles) or to live with it.
Ceramic is something else and I can understand the thinking behind pulling the head and so on.
From my experience it doesn't end there, piston may have land damage and that bore scored, not usually just a hone but a re-bore required.
I wouldn't allow a shop to start stripping it down unless I had confidence in that shop's work ethics.
  • i-30

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Just one more question before I go to work and start calling around.  Could this be the fault of something else in the motor that caused the spark plug to break?  Thanks in Advance
  • 2010 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You ,mentioned that it was puring along nicely before the event, so not really, the damage mentioned above is usually associated with a timing belt failure which is a catastrophic, total engine stop situation, the engine will not run.

I have seen photos of cracked insulators inside spark plugs in workshop manuals, so I assume a failure due to excessive heat is possible, but never actually seen it.

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Thanks Phil....like I said before....it was not overheating and as soon as we heard the noise we turned the car off, went to bed because it was late and the next morning when the guy came to tow the car we fired it up, he took the cover off and we noticed that the lead was popped up, the car was firing on 3 cylinders and he drove it onto the long trailer and even drove it off the trailer and around into the hyundai dealer
  • 2010 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's always a good idea to take photos. For us here on the forum it would have helped a lot. From what you say, it sounds simply like a lead has come off the plug, which if pressed down again would have returned the car to normal. However, by the description of what the dealer is saying, it must be much more than that. If you get the chance, we would love a picture of the offending plug (and for your records, too.)

If the dealer are telling porky's, the offending plug will mysteriously be unavailable to you.  :exclaim:

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Have just spoken with customer care and she is calling dealer to get further information.  So will keep everyone posted.
  • 2010 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Have just spoken with customer care and she is calling dealer to get further information.  So will keep everyone posted.

Thanks, We have had some great feedback and responses so far .. no wonder we are so proud of our little forum!  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Well....customer care.....don't really care....."even though an optional service was carried out (which was not compulsory) the compulsory service @ 45,000 kms or 3 years was not done - regardless of kms"

So guess I will be getting in my car very soon and arranging to have my car picked up and taken to a reputable mechanic.........cause I have no intention of paying hyundai $2245 approx with an open ended quote that it could cost even more.

Rant over and thanks for listening.  May still go to VCAT though
  • 2010 i30

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I'm afraid its a bitter pill to swallow, regardless if its a HY part failure or not, they will stand by their warranty terms and as you have stated you had the service carried out at 4 1/2 years which really should of been done at 3 years regardless of the low mileage.

Even if you had only 1000 km's on the clock you should of taken it for its 3rd year service and this is what HY will throw at you.

I've been there myself with one of my other cars, different manufacturer , wrote a letter and sent photo's spoke on the phone with the head of warranty at HQ and he wouldn't budge.

I truly feel for you and I hope that nothing major has failed.

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
May be a bitter pill to swallow but maybe not quite yet?  See pictures following of broken spark plug and also page out of my owner's manual
Thoughts....anyone?
  • 2010 i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From my reading of consumer law, Hyundai would be obligated to prove the missed spark plug change was the root cause of the problem.

Given the other 3 are operating normally that might be hard to do.

Give the ACCC a call, you may find the good people at Hyundai make a 'goodwill gesture' and cover the repair.

If that fails, I would be off to see the mob who did the service. Scheduled service means just that, if the spark plugs need replacing, replace they must (unless you specifically told them not to).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
May be a bitter pill to swallow but maybe not quite yet?  See pictures following of broken spark plug and also page out of my owner's manual
Thoughts....anyone?

Hi Judy,

If you want to post decent size pictures, host them via Imgur or similar (As per tutorial in welcome section) otherwise attachments are limited to very small files.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Let's see if these pictures come through?  Sorry if I'm driving you guys nuts
  • 2010 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Keep the information coming, Judy :goodjob2:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:

Watching this with interest.
And Hyundai needs to be aware that we are all watching this with interest.   ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Pages 7/9 in the owner's manual - normal maintenance schedule - petrol engine
Spark Plugs - replace every 40,000 kms
  • 2010 i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal