i30 Owners Club

No compression? Confused

Offline Welshgez87

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      South Glamorgan
Nope:/ knocked a few doors, either havent got them or no one home! The car was at least trying to do something yesterday now its as dead as a dodo!
  • Hyundai i30 ES 1.4

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd suggest doing what Cruiserfied has suggested as so far everyone who has looked at this vehicle doesn't appear to know what the hell they are talking about, it could all come down to something as simple as a stuffed battery but unless someone professional is inspecting it then you'll only end up ruining your car.

Testing the battery with wire is plain stupidity and one way to kill yourself if there did happen to be enough charge in it :Shocked: a standard household power point is 10 to 15 amp's and can easily kill you...your cars battery is 400+ amp's :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Never check a battery with wire. Hydrogen & Oxygen gasses are produced when shorting a battery and any spark will cause an explosion, possibly resulting in acid in your eyes and engine bay contamination. Use a voltmeter   :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Never check a battery with wire. Hydrogen & Oxygen gasses are produced when shorting a battery and any spark will cause an explosion, possibly resulting in acid in your eyes and engine bay contamination. Use a voltmeter   :idea:

I only ever did it once when I was about 10 y/o at my Mum and Stepdad's garage.. Melted a big groove in my thumb and index finger (still hurts to think about it!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Ouch:

Offline Welshgez87

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      South Glamorgan
Bit of an update now, car finally went to a garage after i i have just come back iff holiday, mechanic had said the timing chain has slipped so that needs replacing, although he could t confirm
If theres any other damage inside the engine as he hasnt looked at that yet, hese pricing up a replacment chain and will be lettig me know sometime today hopefully
  • Hyundai i30 ES 1.4

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

An unusual event,  please keep us posted.. :fingers:

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
If air is pumping out air box, it's got to be the head gear is not aligned properly with the crank and the inlet valve is open for a duration of the up stroke of the piston. Hope it's not a bent or stuck valve but start with the timing marks and check they are where they should be.

Exacty as I thought......sorry to hear it. That sucks :( Is your engine an interference type i.e. valve and piston meat when out of alignment? Seen a few YouTube vids where cam tensioners have become sticky and don't apply the correct tension allowing belts/chains to jump teeth.
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline Welshgez87

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      South Glamorgan
Sorry i have no idea what engine type it is:/
  • Hyundai i30 ES 1.4

Offline Welshgez87

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      South Glamorgan
So its deffo not a battery or connection problem, garage says the car needs new timing chain and guide rails, he doesnt think the engine has any other damage so hopefully il be lucky and the new chain and rais will sort the problem :) but without taking the head off he obviously isnt 100% sure. He has quoted me £415 parts and labour for the job, ive said ok to this as what  ive looked at seems to be an ok price for the type of job. Just hope theres nothing more to it :)
  • Hyundai i30 ES 1.4

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So its deffo not a battery or connection problem, garage says the car needs new timing chain and guide rails, he doesnt think the engine has any other damage so hopefully il be lucky and the new chain and rais will sort the problem :) but without taking the head off he obviously isnt 100% sure. He has quoted me £415 parts and labour for the job, ive said ok to this as what  ive looked at seems to be an ok price for the type of job. Just hope theres nothing more to it :)

What can I say but!  :fingers:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Make sure that the timing chain tensioner is replaced as well as a stuck tensioner can cause this problem, I believe.

Offline Welshgez87

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      South Glamorgan
Just spoke to the mechanic, he repllaced the chain and rails and whatever else was needed for that bit of the job, hese done a compression test with the new parts on and says it looks like there is some damagae to the valves or other things in the engine, so hese gunna strip the head and have a better look and il know in a few days the extent of the damage :(
  • Hyundai i30 ES 1.4

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just spoke to the mechanic, he repllaced the chain and rails and whatever else was needed for that bit of the job, hese done a compression test with the new parts on and says it looks like there is some damagae to the valves or other things in the engine, so hese gunna strip the head and have a better look and il know in a few days the extent of the damage :(

:disapp: :crazy2: :blubber:

Offline Welshgez87

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      South Glamorgan
Sorry for late reply and update, anyway turns out no pistons were bent and engine not seized, valves were leaking though but all thats sorted now and i should have the motor back tomorrow at some point! :) £800 was the damage in the end! Hope its ll running ok with no more problems
  • Hyundai i30 ES 1.4

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Sorry for late reply and update, anyway turns out no pistons were bent and engine not seized, valves were leaking though but all thats sorted now and i should have the motor back tomorrow at some point! :) £800 was the damage in the end! Hope its ll running ok with no more problems

:Good_luck:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline speedwayfan

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      CHESHIRE
and the result was??????????????????
  • i30 Active diesel

Offline Welshgez87

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      South Glamorgan
Hey all many apologies for not posting in such a long time, had a busy year with family and work! Anyway car has been running perfect since the repair wich cost me £900 in the end! (Including an mot) i was very lucky not to do any major major damage to the engine!
  • Hyundai i30 ES 1.4

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback, better late than never...  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Exactly  :whsaid:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal