i30 Owners Club

Diesel sound?

neoto · 25 · 13669

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Not really a problem or an issue but the sound of my new i30 diesel is bothering me.
We have another Renault Megane 1.5 (diesel) at home and it relly purrs like a kitten.. :) On the other hand, my Hyundai makes really weird noises.
First, when the cold engine is started, really loud diesel knocking is heard. It goes away after a few minutes of driving. This one doesn't bother me so much.
Then, when the engine is warmed up, light acceleration makes is knock quite loud. This is worst right around 2000 rpm.
I told about my 'findings' at the local Hyundai shop, but they insist that this is completely normal (they didn't take it for a drive or even hear the running car...) and that it would go away over time...
Otherwise, the car has 4600 km, engine temperature is normal, fuel consuption also.

Do you (other i30 diesel drivers) experience the same?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We had a 1.6 CRDi for around 2.5 years (68,000 kms) and although it was a bit chuggy when cold was otherwise fairly quiet when cruising and only moderately audible at higher revs.. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
this may sound stupid,but,have you checked the engine oil is full.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

this may sound stupid,but,have you checked the engine oil is full.  :idea:

Last time I checked it, it was full. I will check it today.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A loud knocking is not right. Sure, a slight diesel chatter is to be expected with so few Ks on the clock and that will soon seem normal - may even lessen over time.

But not a knocking noise.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
A loud knocking is not right. Sure, a slight diesel chatter is to be expected with so few Ks on the clock and that will soon seem normal - may even lessen over time.

But not a knocking noise.
that's why i mentioned the oil.  :scared:

Pip
Do you (other i30 diesel drivers) experience the same?
Yes, normal. :cool:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Get a clatter at start up but otherwise mine is so quite that sometimes I have to check the tacho to make sure it is running.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Checked oil - ok.

When warm, mine is quite in idle but little noisier when the A/C is ON.

Tomorrow I will try to record it.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
thats because the aircon compressor is a touch noisy on them... mines like that... its normal

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
My cw is now 1 year old and I no more pay attention to the noise of engine, keep on telling myself, diesel engine is just different from petrol one.  :mrgreen: But really love the whistle sound of engine.  :whistler:

Offline Oldroller

• 1st Gear
My 2009 SX is also rather noisy after a cold start, and for a while is rather throbby -- ie sounds to me like 1 or 2 cylinders are noisier than the others. The noise is a little like the tappett noise of the old VW Beetle I owned over 40 years ago. When warmed up fully, my CRDi is somewhat quieter with the noise now better equalised between the cylinders. There is a slight rattle under light acceleration at around 2000 rpm, but I think this is typical of all diesels.

What disappoints me a bit is that from inside with all windows up, even when warm there is a distinct throb when starting off gently at revs just above idle speed. This sounds like something which happens on each engine revolution rather than as each cylinder fires. There is also a rather nasally whine from the engine, strictly proportional to engine revs, most noticeable a little over 2000 rpm. This is not the turbo which is a much higher pitched whistle, and depends on throttle setting more than engine speed.

I guess I am a bit of a fusspot about these noises, but they do not always annoy me as much -- depends what mood I am in. I am not worried that any of them indicate a problem. They are all probably quite normal for this model.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Oldroller.. Can't say I remember that with our previous CRDi? a bit rattly at startup but probably quieter on the highway and under load than the wife's 2.0 petrol CW.. :confused:

Offline WylieCoyote

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My diesel is quiet.

What can happen though (and I'll use my Kia Sorento diesel as an example) is that from a cold start the engine will sound more rattlier than when warmed up. With my Kia (the child company of hyundai), apparently what happens is from cold start to normal running temperature the engine is quite noisy/rattly. This is caused by the ECU supplying a greater quantity of fuel to the cylinders by way of the injectors. This is akin to the choke used on petrol engines - the choke restricting air intake thereby increasing the fuel being supplied to the engine. Similarly the diesel does the same until normal running temperature is reached. With my Kia, normal running temperature starts at 75C. Using my Scangauge, normal running temp is anything from 75C to 115C but runs mainly at 92C. Watching Fuel usage on the scangauge, prior to reaching running temp, the amount of fuel being burned is almost double than at when at normal running temp.

The noise you may be hearing is the extra fuel being detonated and can be from a louder rumble to a loud rattly tappet noise.  This is normal.

If you are unsure, you should always check with your dealer/service agent.
  • Phantom Black i30 SX CRDI Auto

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

WylieCoyote, thank you for the answer. I somehow got used to this noise now :) However, I am still unsure whether the 'rattling' noise during acceleration (with the warmed-up engine) is normal or not. I should find another owner of diesel i30 here in vicinity and drive a few kilometers with him).

btw, do you know how the Scangauge gets the data on the fuel consumption? Is it using any diesel-specific PID in the OBD list?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I should find another owner of diesel i30 here in vicinity and drive a few kilometers with him).

That would be the way.. Check out our google map to see who may be close by and send them a pm  :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
hey dazz,i drove Rusty's diesel last weekend down the street and back and found it quieter than my hatch.[2.0 petrol]  :goodjob: geez there got some torque.  :mrgreen: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

hey dazz,i drove Rusty's diesel last weekend down the street and back and found it quieter than my hatch.[2.0 petrol]  :goodjob: geez there got some torque.  :mrgreen: :goodjob:

You're not telling me anything m8  :lol: (if I had to downsize back into a crdi I would cope quite admirably)  :winker:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

You're not telling me anything m8  :lol: (if I had to downsize back into a crdi I would cope quite admirably)  :winker:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline WylieCoyote

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Neoto
btw, do you know how the Scangauge gets the data on the fuel consumption? Is it using any diesel-specific PID in the OBD list?

Scangauge gets it data from the ECU and presents it to you in readable form. You have to tell scangauge that it is for a diesel, the engine size, fuel tank size etc. The ecu knows fuel usage and distance travelled. Some algorithms have been already programmed so individual gauges can display what you want including immediate fuel usage, immediate fuel economy and I have set up a gauge that tells me average fuel economy for the current tank.  Newer scangauge may already have this gauge includes.
  • Phantom Black i30 SX CRDI Auto

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Well, I am asking because I'm planning to do a sort of Scangauge of my own (for my own needs, for now). On the previous car (petrol), it was simple - I just needed measuring the air flow rate and engine load to produce very accurate fuel consumption measurements. However, I don't have any experiences in doing this on a diesel... That's why I'm asking which variables are being monitored in order to calculate the consumption.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
You know what I would do if I were you? I would go for a test drive with some other Hyundai i30 CRDI or Kia Ceed with the same engine - most Hyundai services have those two test cars. That way, you will be able to compare the two. Just make sure, the cars (engine) really are cold.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Well, the cold engine sound is becoming better (or am I getting accustomed to it). Maybe due to higher temperatures.
The weird sound of the warmed up engine is I think somehow connected to A/C. It is louder when the A/C is on.
Anyway, I rely on 5 year warranty now. If anything is going to fail, they'll fix it.   :evil:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Well, the cold engine sound is becoming better (or am I getting accustomed to it). Maybe due to higher temperatures.
The weird sound of the warmed up engine is I think somehow connected to A/C. It is louder when the A/C is on.
Anyway, I rely on 5 year warranty now. If anything is going to fail, they'll fix it.   :evil:

Yeah, that's the spirit. Well mine is also loud at first, especially in the winter, then it gets quieter. Don't know what is or is not normal. But I don't think i30 CRDI is among the loudest modern-diesels around. Though, when cold... A/C does make some extra sound.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal