i30 Owners Club

Hyundai PD Launch (2017 i30)

i30premy · 168 · 38183

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
I've read that the lower trim levels won't have the screen at all, very curious as to how the dashboard layout will be then

All of them have a screen, but a smaller one. The lowest version has a 5" black&white screen without touch controls, and the middle version is also 5" but with color and touch controls. These systems are described in the owners manual, from pages 4-9 and 4-42, respectively.

The top model with 8" screen and navigation is not described in that manual however, only mentioned that there will be a separate manual for it.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Lyricold

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
I can't wait to hear more about this! When I saw a picture for the first time I thought it was ugly, then it grew on me. It better be good because I've been wanting to upgrade for some time now!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:47:09 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2014 i20 3 dr 6 speed

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Some really good information from the slides. It appears that most models will get a full range of active safety features and that this will make Hyundai a leader in the budget  car  segment in terms of safety features. Not many cars which would have active cruise control in most of the range at this price segment. Not to mention the other features such as blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert.

It looks like the autonomous emergency braking works at both high and low speed and has pedestrian detection.

One disappointing feature seems to be that the new turbo engine still doesn't appear as efficient as some other manufacturers such as Volkswagen.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Some really good information from the slides. It appears that most models will get a full range of active safety features and that this will make Hyundai a leader in the budget  car  segment in terms of safety features. Not many cars which would have active cruise control in most of the range at this price segment. Not to mention the other features such as blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert.

It looks like the autonomous emergency braking works at both high and low speed and has pedestrian detection.

One disappointing feature seems to be that the new turbo engine still doesn't appear as efficient as some other manufacturers such as Volkswagen.
Yep.
I agree it appears most if not all models get the full range of safety features. Certainly nothing I heard suggested otherwise, however I was in information overload most of the day so we probably need to wait for confirmation of this. I also (but could be mistaken here) believe all Oz models get the full 8" screen.
Not sure what you mean about the less efficient turbo engine. But I guess it depends how the two stack up price wise.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
By efficient I mean output in terms of fuel economy. Golf GTI has combined fuel economy of 6.2 manual and 6.6 DSG. From the slides it seemed like Hyundai's turbo engine would be around 7.7L/100km.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
By efficient I mean output in terms of fuel economy. Golf GTI has combined fuel economy of 6.2 manual and 6.6 DSG. From the slides it seemed like Hyundai's turbo engine would be around 7.7L/100km.
Fair comment.
I wonder if the power outputs are the same? I haven't looked at Neville's pics closely yet.
Also, I probably shouldn't say this but VW has "history" in this area.  :mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Look out for the introductory "New i30" ads.

Spectacular to say the least.

They'll make a big impact, introducing the rejuvenated i30. Look for plenty of screen time as the Hyundai A-League wraps up in the coming weeks. Then Australian journos will get their hands on the test cars shortly after. I may have missed it but I'm not sure they announced an actual launch date to the market. Should see it before the end of the financial year, though.

Hyundai Australia has done a good job with it's introduction to dealers. A video about billycart racing kids and their use of innovative ideas to get ahead.

This was followed by a brief but highly attractive preview of the i30N.

Some older information including speculation on the Hot Hatch's introduction into Australia. I've highlighted the interesting bits but can't confirm any of the proposed technical specs. Might not be too far away now, though.  :goodjob2:
(click to show/hide)

The entry level price will surprise some (maybe many).

ACTIVE                 ELITE         PREMIUM        SR       SR PREMIUM

I got to drive the Premium and should get some footage of that in due course. Darling Harbour precincts, around near the Fish Markets and under the ANZAC Bridge doesn't promote anything like a full test, but it was really more about sitting in the car, soaking up the ambience and getting a feel for the seating, driving position and controls.

I'm 6'2" in the old money and was totally comfortable with more than adequate leg room and a relaxed grip n the leather wheel. As I said elsewhere, the 8" screen, centre mounted appears fully functional and falls easily into the eyesight. Someone has queried how the electronics in this will stand up to the direct heat from the Australian sun. Actually I reckon it'll be OK. The fact that it's set out from the dash means it's not as exposed as some units I've seen mounted in cars quite high up and probably more exposed. Certainly my old TomTom which is dash mounted has exhibited no issues from living directly in the sun, even having survived a trip to and from Darwin. Whilst there's obviously much more technology hidden in the i30 unit, Hyundai would be aware of the requirements in this area.

A couple of interesting facts came out during the day.

*Hyundai Australia has sold more than 254,000 i30s since it's introduction in 2007, until March 2017. Which apparently makes us Hyundai's largest volume i30 market in the world. In South Korea for instance, apparently they have a preference for sedans.

* One tonne of Australian iron ore is used in the construction of the high impact steel used in EVERY i30. Apparently there is only a few weeks turnaround from the ore leaving Australia for South Korea, before it returns in a completed car.

* There is also evidence the i30 has replaced the Corolla at the top of the resale value tree.

Closing off for now. More to follow.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've earlier commented on the placement of the screen. I don't like the look of it, but when seated in the car it's placed perfect for view and use.

I've read that the lower trim levels won't have the screen at all, very curious as to how the dashboard layout will be then

I remember being skeptical when Hy contacted the forum, that it would only be a PR stunt. Happy to be proven wrong and  :goodjob: to Hyundai Australia for involving the end users.
If my memory serves me correctly, the "Active" won't have the 8" screen initially but I'm sure they suggested it would become standard even on that model before long. Initially there's a smaller screen in the "Active" but missing the fancy Driver Assist technology.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hehehe I know everything now........

Completely in love with this car.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Thanks for the news. Looks like a good time was had. I'm afraid the pictures of the car I have seen have left me uninspired, I am hoping it has more appeal in real life.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Thanks for the news. Looks like a good time was had. I'm afraid the pictures of the car I have seen have left me uninspired, I am hoping it has more appeal in real life.

I was reserved about the front end going off the pictures. Very happy to say it looks so much better in person. Couple of pictures but nothing much.

• 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Has Crdi become 1.6D?

Still can't see why they don't use the 1.7 in the i40.... What a rocket that would be  :happydance:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Has Crdi become 1.6D?

Still can't see why they don't use the 1.7 in the i40.... What a rocket that would be  :happydance:

Only if you use high powered one. The base model i40 comes with the 1,7 CRDi 115 HP/280Nm which is exactly same output as the 1,6 in the i30. Only difference is the 1,7 have the torque available from 1250 revs, the 1,6 is from 1500... 
But, agree, the 1,7 140HP/340Nm would be very nice in the i30...  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Looks like a nice event and glad you enjoyed it  :goodjob:

Noticed the slide comparing GD vs PD - luggage 378 to 395 litres. Is this at the expense of the spare wheel, I wonder? In the UK the S (base spec) has a tyre repair kit as standard, in lieu of a spare wheel.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks like a nice event and glad you enjoyed it  :goodjob:

Noticed the slide comparing GD vs PD - luggage 378 to 395 litres. Is this at the expense of the spare wheel, I wonder? In the UK the S (base spec) has a tyre repair kit as standard, in lieu of a spare wheel.
Good pick up.
The answer is no. But that requires some more information which I had intended posting today.

See below but be aware there may be differences between here and the UK.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
One of the greatest benefits of having a vehicle made not far from us and having the world's largest i30 market is that Korea not only listens to our input but encourages it.
Since the FD came on the market Australian technicians have been testing and modifying the suspension to suit Australian conditions.

In the case if the PD, there were 416 DIFFERENT combinations tried and tested before the final results were incorporated in the Korean made cars for Australia.

To break this down a bit.

There are three major considerations.

1/ The base model which comes with the normal rear suspension set up.

2/ The diesel engine models where the extra weight of the engine is taken into consideration (a BIG plus, this and one we've speculated on in the past. It's nice to have our suspicions confirmed).

3/ The Premium and SR Premium which come with IRS. This later means that, in order to maintain the boot space, a temporary spare is supplied. So, no loss of the 395 litres capacity (that's pretty much room for four MORE 5 litre tubs of ice cream.  :goodjob2:)

However, Garry Jones. one of their technical people told me that he's had a look and reckons you can still fit a full sized spare into the well. It would just reduce the useable boot space. The new cars come with 16", 17" and 18" alloys.

So, the good news is, no BMW/Mini style inflator kit. (which would be bloody useless after taking the sidewall out of your tyre in one of Australia's notorious potholes).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 19:24:03 by Surferdude »

Offline stewy76

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline stewy76

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

[/quote]

Any idea of what prices can be expected across all new models

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

[/quote]
Yes.
But I (seriously) can't tell you yet.
I was asked to not pass it on until Hyundai announces it.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Will the new i30 have wireless CarPlay
I believe so.
I assume you mean Google Car Play/ Android Auto.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Now for the question that all motoring journalists will ask......

Does it have rear air vents?????

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yes.
[/quote]

Will it be a happy surprise, or will we be gasping in shock??

In reality I would be shocked if any Hyundai sold anywhere close to the RRP.... That said it does seem silly to have Kia and Hyundai competing at the $19,990 price tag. It is forcing the Kias down a couple of grand.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Yes.

Will it be a happy surprise, or will we be gasping in shock??

In reality I would be shocked if any Hyundai sold anywhere close to the RRP.... That said it does seem silly to have Kia and Hyundai competing at the $19,990 price tag. It is forcing the Kias down a couple of grand.
[/quote]

The entry level price stuck in my head because it was so good (IMHO). Not being familiar with the other models current pricing they didn't stick but the progression seemed logical.
And I get your point about the RRP. It's been my observation that you can generally get an i30 at "about" the RRP, but with all on-roads included and sometimes a bit more.
So, if the projected entry level price becomes the on-road price, (probably once the new model attraction has worn off), then  :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Now for the question that all motoring journalists will ask......

Does it have rear air vents?????
In one of the break out rooms they had a current Corolla and Mazda 3 for comparison. I heard some of the dealer attendees commenting that at least one of them lacked rear air vents, so I'm guessing, "yes".

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What completly useless thing will they pick on now.....

They obviously don't have kids, the i40 has air vents in the rear, and all the little buggers do is play with them.....Can't reach them with your hands? thats what feet are for  :crazy1:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

They obviously don't have kids, the i40 has air vents in the rear, and all the little buggers do is play with them.....Can't reach them with your hands? thats what feet are for  :crazy1:
Interesting.
My Subarus had rear air vents. Well "outlets". They were under the front seats and directed cool air into the rear footwells. Controlled from the dash IIRC. Nothing for the kids to reach.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Interesting.
My Subarus had rear air vents. Well "outlets". They were under the front seats and directed cool air into the rear footwells. Controlled from the dash IIRC. Nothing for the kids to reach.
Don't all the GD's have vents under the front seats directed into the rear footwells :undecided: mine has them.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The FD does as well.

not good enough for the motoring writers though because it was a consistent in the 'cons' when reviewed

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well I'll be blowed! I never knew the FD has rear vents! :Shocked:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well I'll be blowed! I never knew the FD has rear vents! :Shocked:

Sounds like Trevor didn't either..

I think most fairly recent cars have some air directed under the seats into the back. I seem to recall our Getz and previous Pulsars and Tiida did (but when you change cars as often as Alan we do, they all get scrambled...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal