i30 Owners Club

Commonwealth Games

FatBoy · 47 · 9510

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I feel sorry for all the athletes who do train for it.
Not the Olympics, I know, but number 2 in my book.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The last games were in my neighbourhood and were a grand pain up the rectum...

They had to have what they called, a ring of steel round the games.  This meant a copper every one hundred yards, special lanes on the roads for the games maker car drivers and no end of other really REALLY annoying crap <sigh>

Then when it was over several 'sports persons' refused to go home  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

It is my considered opinion that all these type of events should be held in Australia, this is based on my reading in this thread in which several Ozzies have expressed a sincere interest in proceedings.

This would have a double benefit for us limies first of all we wouldn't have to waste billions putting it on and providing all that security and secondly (and perhaps more importantly) due to the time difference I wouldn't have to watch this crap.  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
So, how is your rectum these days, Asa?   :rofl:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Come on ASA, tell us what you really think!  :Shocked: :rofl: (are you related to Rick by any chance?)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

They had to have what they called, a ring of steel round the games.  This meant a copper every one hundred yards, special lanes on the roads for the games maker car drivers and no end of other really REALLY annoying crap <sigh>

Then when it was over several 'sports persons' refused to go home  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

It is my considered opinion that all these type of events should be held in Australia, this is based on my reading in this thread in which several Ozzies have expressed a sincere interest in proceedings.

This would have a double benefit for us limies first of all we wouldn't have to waste billions putting it on and providing all that security and secondly (and perhaps more importantly) due to the time difference I wouldn't have to watch this crap.  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Nothing I like more than to watch the games and when I get tired, turn off and leave the logistical problems with you chaps. Well done.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

Those were in 2002, they've held them in Melbourne and Delhi since then. Though  Manchester taxpayers were still paying for their games last I heard.

I haven't watched much at all this time, for one thing the England/India test series is on. :) Plus I'm none too interested anyway.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
China aren't part of the Commonwealth.
They should be! many of our athletes are Chinese imports and their not even nationalised plus last time I went into the city ( Perth ) I was hard pressed to see another westerner, Perth has become little China now days.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They can't compete for Australia if they aren't nationalised.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
From memory nationalisation is offered after 5/7 years and some of the Chinese Badminton and Table Tennis players now train/reside and play for Australia since the last Olympics where they played for China so these are recent Chinese imports who now play for us.

This isn't anything new as we've imported new blood from Singapore and Malaysia before to compete for us in our weaker areas.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
From memory nationalisation is offered after 5/7 years and some of the Chinese Badminton and Table Tennis players now train/reside and play for Australia since the last Olympics where they played for China so these are recent Chinese imports who now play for us.
So. I don't see the problem.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I never said there was a problem, my original reply was in a partial quote regarding China not being part of the commonwealth.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I never said there was a problem, my original reply was in a partial quote regarding China not being part of the commonwealth.

But they aren't playing for China.  I'm sure if China were competing in these events, they would still beat our imports.

The USA aren't competing in the swimming, therefore we have little competition.  Same with the Chinese swimmers, there are none at the Commonwealth Games.

It is a second rate competition.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
All the Chinese born women who were involved in the Bronze win today have been playing for Australia for years - one since the 90's and another in Sydney in 2000.
I'm just confused over your comment that they were recent imports to Australia.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
All the Chinese born women who were involved in the Bronze win today have been playing for Australia for years - one since the 90's and another in Sydney in 2000.
I'm just confused over your comment that they were recent imports to Australia.
Sorry if I misunderstood.
I haven't even seen any of the women's events yet other than the squash and swimming, it was some of the men I was referring too but I cant even remember their names now :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
But they aren't playing for China.  I'm sure if China were competing in these events, they would still beat our imports.
I understand that, my comment was meant more tongue in cheek that there are so many Chinese in Australia they should qualify as part of the commonwealth :winker:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I understand that, my comment was meant more tongue in cheek that there are so many Chinese in Australia they should qualify as part of the commonwealth :winker:
Ah.
OK.
 :head_butt:

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Well, your wish will be partly fulfilled: the 2018 Commonwealth Games will be held in Queensland, Australia.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal