i30 Owners Club

Tyre Questions

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day Surferdude,

I have a few tyre questions;

Firstly, the use of Nitrogen, I had thrown it off as a furphy, something sold to hoons to make their fully sick beast go faster, but my mate got it put into his new tyres on his Commodore (for free) and he has noticed some economy improvement. His car is a Commodore with 200k on the clock, and other than putting a couple of bluesteel tyres on, he hasn't changed anything. He does highway miles like me. Is there anything in the nitrogen thing?

Secondly,

I know the so called  'green' tyres like the Hankook Enfren, work off reducing roll resistance, would the reduction be higher and  saving be magnafied when the car is doing highway speeds?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi beerman, some answers to your questions.
I may have covered nitrogen in tyres on here before so if I have my apologies to anyone who's already read about it.
I have to start by saying these are my own opinions and I'm sure for every one who sees no benefit in nitrogen, there'll be someone who does.
Nitrogen was used by Hans Tholstrup at Bathurst in a Falcon in the early 70's. It was a sponsorship exercise for CIG (now BOC??).
Since then nitrogen has been used in Northern Australia in trucks and road trains and over the last 15 years or so has been sold as a benefit by Bob Jane T-Marts and more recently, Jax.
It normally costs (about $5 - $6 per tyre) at the point of sale. The benefits are supposed to be cooler tyre operating temperature and less pressure loss because the nitrogen molecules are larger than the hydrogen/ oxygen mix (air) used normally.
As I advocate you should check your tryes every couple of weeks to pick up any slow leaks, whether or not you use nitrogen is a moot point.
They will run cooler but how much effect that has on tyre wear is debatable. Will it save you $5 / tyre?  Studies by RAC experts and major tyre companies would suggest not.
Of course, if you have a punture you have to pay to have nitrogen put back in after the repair.
I've not run across the "free nitrogen" offer before but the cynic in me suggests the cost would be added in somewhere to the cost of the tyres.
I can't see how the tyre would affect your fuel economy as it's the pressure in the tyre which affects rolling resistance and thus, economy.
Having said all that, 2i30's is an advocate of nitrogen and I respect his experience, too. Maybe he can chime in here with some current feedback.

Now, as to green tyres. There are any number of these on the market now and makers claim better fuel economy through lowere rolling resistance from carcase design and/or tread compunds. Independent testing indicates perhaps as much as a tank of fuel saved over the life of the tyres. If you are the type of driver who accelerates gently and smoothly and backs off the throttle well ahead of time this sort of saving will add to your benefits. i suspect most of us aren't though. :-[
As to extra benefits on highway driving? Probably just a magnification of any saving based on miles covered.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The free nitrogen thing wasn't an offer as such, just that my mate runs a major landscape supplier, and he gets his tyres through the same mob, so I suspect it was a keep the client happy kind of deal. He didn't ask for it, but did comment that he had never been able to achieve the fuel economy he is now, which got me thinking.

Luckily for me, the original tyres are still hanging in there (35k and counting). Hopefully I'll get another 10k from them......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal