i30 Owners Club

New tyres needed

kittikat · 37 · 10200

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
My Viv has done 45,000ks and has just had her service.  The guy told me that she needed two back tyres reasonably soon, but the front two could wait until her next service. I don't know very much about tyres, so any advice is appreciated.  Should I just change two, or should I change all four at the same time?  I have the money put aside, so the cost is not a problem. The tyres have 'Kumho' & 'Solus' written on them. If you need anymore information, you will have to tell me where to find it.  Thanks in advance.  :D
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They would be the standard 16" tyres that all SLX's get ..

They are a bit noisy but you woud have to pay a little more for something quieter .. If you are happy with them I would get the two fronts moved to the back and get 2 more the same put on the front. (I don't like mixing brands or tread patterns myself)

We usually get ours rotated every service so they all wear out athe the same time which then makes it easier to swap to something else without wasting any tread or mixing brands..

Surferdude (Trev) the tyre Guru wll no doubt have more to say  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Mine came with Hankook Optimo's, which I thought was standard SLX fitment..... :undecided:

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The front will wear quicker than the rear so I take it they have been rotated and that is why the rear need replacing.

Personally I ask the garage to leave them and then I just replace the front as the rear will still have substantail tread on.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mine came with Hankook Optimo's, which I thought was standard SLX fitment..... :undecided:

They are pretty much identical I think .. Sister companies (different door, same factory - sort of)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Don't know if you have deployed the spare yet, but if you havent, get one new tyre, wack it and the spare on the front and the fronts to the rear. If you leave them like that there is a fair chance that they will all do 30k. If the rears start to struggle  use the spare to help the rears.

I just hate the thought of having a brand new tyre sitting in the boot that can easily be replaced by a nearly worn one.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Jack

• 2nd Gear
  • Sun always shine in NQ, well most of the time..

• au Australia
      Condon, near Townsville, Qld

• I may be older but not slower.
    • Smokie.ws
I put on a set of Falken ze912's on one of my cars and what a nice tyre they are.

A lot quieter than others I have tried and good traction both in the wet and dry.

I will certainly be putting Falken tyres on the i30 when they are due.
  • SX Auto Hatch

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
"To rotate or not to rotate? That is the question"

- with apologies to Will (or Francis Bacon, just in case) :rofl:

This is very much a personal question as is whether or not to introduce the spare into the equation.
As others have said, some prefer to just have to changge two tyres at a time. Financially this makes sense. The down side is that tyres change and new models become available so sometimes you can no longer match the original two. Again, this is not necessarily a bad thing as many tread patterns are compatible. Different sizes and brands (IMO) are not.

Rotating regularly so all 4 (or5) wear out together means forking out twice as much but at least you don't have to worry about matching treads and can take advantage of the latest available technology.

As for the spare, conventional advice says your spare should be the best tyre (or equal to it) on the car. Why?
Because, if you are in a position where you have to fit your spare on the car, you then have no spare for whatever distance you still have to travel. So it should be the best it can be to reduce the risk of another failure. Without wanting to sound sexist, I often give this advice to women drivers as I have an inbuilt horror of them being stuck on the side of the road late at night.

And one more thing. Make sure you check the pressure in your spare regularly. It should be the best tyre in the car AND it should be serviceable.

Kumho and Hankook are pretty much the same companies as are Hyundai and Kia.

Kittekat, without seeing your tyres, if you've got 45,000 out of them and you've got the money put aside, I'd replace all four. Obviously my Goodyear background makes me biased so I won't make recommendations on here but I do have one. If you want it, pm me.

Trev
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
With tyre failure becoming so rare that it is almost a novelty when it happens, I'm happy for my spare to be roadworthy and capiable of sustaining the car for a few thousand k's. Given that the flat will be repaired as a matter of urgency (no spare is too bigger risk). It is only going to be a matter of a day or two until the flat tyre makes its triumphant and reinflated return, this relegating the spare back to its box in the boot. Hence when I replace the tyres it is best of the rest for the boot. In the unlikley event that the second goes, then its a call direct to the RACQ requesting a tow straight up.

Given most cars (the I30 included now I believe) don't even include a full spare, I don't think this is a bad option.

As for females on a dark road, my personal advice would be to lock themselves in the car and call the RACQ thus ensuring their safety, the RACQ will give this type of call a priority over the many men who can't or won't change the tyre themselves. I know when my wife was preggers and hit a bit of steel and killed the tyre (God bless her) they were there in 15 minutes, because they didn't want her getting stressed in her condition.

I used to believe in replacing 2 tyres at a time, but now believe this to be unecomicial in both my time (no offence Trev, but I havent met a tyre waiting room that was a good place to be, and money you are more likley to get a better deal when buying 4 tyres over 2 (the tyre dude is more inclined to work for four tyres rather than two because the effort in selling, moving the car, jacking up etc is already done, all that is left is to remove 2 more tyres.)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Agree about the tyre shop waiting rooms beerman. :eek:
Also tend to agree about the economy of time (yours as a customer).
But I think it would be rare to find a shop which gave priority to 4 over 2 simply because neither takes long to do and you just work through them in the order in which they come in or book.

And yes, you are mostly correct in what you say about the spare, except there would not be a week goes by where we don't see at least a couple of cases of people who've had a flat and then another one before they got the first fixed or the spare had 5psi in it.
That's not to mention the turkeys (many) who drive around for weeks with the flat in the boot and "suddenly remember it" about 2 hours before a long weekend. This is truly a major problem and they are always the ones who get stroppy when you can't fit them in. Poor car maintenance is a major problem in this country.

Sorry. End of rant. :-[

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You can't help the intellegence of some segments of the general population......Unfortunately most have been taught over time that they do not need to take responsibility for their actions and that if they carry on, eventually they will get what they want....

Unfortunately cars don't work like this....

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Thanks so much guys.  I appreciate all your thoughts.   :goodjob: 

I will probably get all four changed, mainly because I have the money put aside.  I work full time, so only having to book the car in once has an attraction as well.  The car is on a lease and I need to find a tyre place that takes Star Card.  I will do a bit of ringing around.  I think I know what I will be doing this Saturday.

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
well done kittikat! i would also do the same & take in surferdude's advice ... if in your shoes i would always think that my safety & that of my passengers are worth more than the additional $ spent when replacing all 4 instaed of just 2.  :goodjob:

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  The car is on a lease and I need to find a tyre place that takes Star Card. 

Here in UK new tyre are included in the lease charge
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
  The car is on a lease and I need to find a tyre place that takes Star Card. 

Here in UK new tyre are included in the lease charge

That's what I mean when I say the money is put aside.  It comes out of my husbands pay every fortnight  :D  and builds up so that I just use that Star Card and it is already paid for.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Bridgestone have "Supercats" 205/55R16 for $149....

I've had Supercats on a previous car and didn't have any complaints as far as grip went but this was on a rear wheel drive car, anyone had any experience with them on a front wheel drive?  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

From what Trevor has taught us on here they look to have an excellent tread pattern with nice wide grooves (they are a similar pattern to the Dunlop 300e on our Hybrid which is a quiet and grippy tyre)  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would think with a bit of discussion you could get a 'name' brand for that sort of money.

I have had SuperCats before and were not much fussed either way, they did their job, but could have been better. But that was a fair while ago (and Hyundai's were rubbish then, and look at them now).

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for your comments..... :goodjob:

Here's the spiel from their website......

SUPER DESIGN
Made to the most exacting standards and specifications using the highest quality materials.
FEATURES
Polyester construction
High tech rubber compound
Modern tread design
Two steel belt construction

SUPER QUIET
The SUPERCAT features an exclusive new tread pattern that has been extensively tested in Europe, and optimised to ensure very low noise and balance between handling and ride comfort.

SUPER RIDE
The advanced tyre compound provides outstanding grip during braking, steering and acceleration, regardless of wet or dry conditions. Its construction significantly enhances grip in the wet and improves steering responsiveness.

SUPER WEAR
Even wear across its tread enhances the vehicle stability, offering outstanding overall handling and a high level of wear resistance ensuring a safe and very economical driving experience.

SUPER RANGE
To make the SUPERCAT experience available to as many Australians as possible, it is made in a wide range of sizes to fit many local and imported cars.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They really like the word 'Super'  :whistler:

I think the SuperCats are Bridgstone made, and they use them to get more life out of their tread patterns, ie they use the pattern on the latest greatest Bridgstone, then pass it down to the Super Cats then the Bluestone perhaps.

More than likley will be a good tyre, but I think you could do better for the money with a bit of haggle, be it cheaper Super Cats, or better Tyres I don't know.

I'm sure Surfer Dude, the Tyre Guru will be able to expand on this, and correct any errors on my part.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
From what Trevor has taught us on here they look to have an excellent tread pattern with nice wide grooves (they are a similar pattern to the Dunlop 300e on our Hybrid which is a quiet and grippy tyre)  :goodjob:

Dazzler what sort of km have you done in the Dunlop SP 300e. I was disappointed cause they lasted less than 30000 km on the front on our Aurion.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
30000k from the fronts of an Aurion is not bad at all. The 200 odd kw punching out of the front wheels can kill them....especally if they havent been rotated.

We were getting 8k out of some of ours....But we were also worried about the torque steer that you would probably seldom if ever experence, so that probably explains the 8k  :evil:

That said, I hate the 300e's and are much happier that we get the better tyres on the sports model!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
They really like the word 'Super'  :whistler:

I think the SuperCats are Bridgstone made, and they use them to get more life out of their tread patterns, ie they use the pattern on the latest greatest Bridgstone, then pass it down to the Super Cats then the Bluestone perhaps.

More than likley will be a good tyre, but I think you could do better for the money with a bit of haggle, be it cheaper Super Cats, or better Tyres I don't know.

I'm sure Surfer Dude, the Tyre Guru will be able to expand on this, and correct any errors on my part.

I thought $149 was fairly reasonable for a 205/55R16 tyre..... :undecided:

15" tyres are quite a bit cheaper, they have 205/65R15 for $99......

Anyhow, just shopping around getting a feel for prices and what's available as I've only done around 24k on my original tyres so hopefully it's ages away before I actually need to buy some... :D

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
beerman's right. The Supercat is a budget line downstream tyre although these days the availablity of overseas patterns may mean they aren't as old as they used to be on this type of tyre.
No real problem with them though.

And whatever tyre you put on a Camry (which an Aurion is when you get right down to it) they will wear heavily on the front. 30k is pretty bloody good.
The 300e is one of the quietest tyres I've ever driven on (and although Goodyear owns Dunlop, I'll always be a Goodyear person through and through, so this is high praise form me).
They also wear more evenly and are less susceptible to roundabout induced shoulder wear than many other patterns.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The 300e must have changed a fair bit from the last set I had.....They were on the EL when I got it, and I found them quick to lose the rear in the wet (and before you start....so did the wife). This disapeared when I put the Yokohamas on (and I got 85k from them, no wonder I loved them!!) .

Though tyre technology has changed a fair bit since then, you always remember a dodgy set, and are reluctant to return.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The 300e must have changed a fair bit from the last set I had.....They were on the EL when I got it, and I found them quick to lose the rear in the wet (and before you start....so did the wife). This disapeared when I put the Yokohamas on (and I got 85k from them, no wonder I loved them!!) .

Though tyre technology has changed a fair bit since then, you always remember a dodgy set, and are reluctant to return.
They haven't chaned beerman. Same tyre construction as when it was released in 2004.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
beerman's right. The Supercat is a budget line downstream tyre although these days the availablity of overseas patterns may mean they aren't as old as they used to be on this type of tyre.

Thanks Trevor..... :)

I do realise they are a budget tyre, but, being on a peasant's income, that price range is probably all I can afford.
I only thought of the Supercats as they were a known quantity to me and I found they did the job on my previous Foul Can.....
While I do like to corner fairly hard, my days of pushing things to the absolute limit are gone so a budget tyre will probably do me fine.

I actually find the original Hankook tyres quite satisfactory (other than being a bit noisy) and would happily have them again if they were a reasonable price.

Anyhow, are there any other budget tyres that you would recommend?

Cheers  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

They haven't chaned beerman. Same tyre construction as when it was released in 2004.

Most humble apologies, I was thinking of the Dunlop Monza's. If its the 300e that they fit to the falcons, they are a nice tyre.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Most humble apologies, I was thinking of the Dunlop Monza's.

Ah yes. THAT makes more sense.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Thanks Trevor..... :)

I do realise they are a budget tyre, but, being on a peasant's income, that price range is probably all I can afford.
I only thought of the Supercats as they were a known quantity to me and I found they did the job on my previous Foul Can.....
While I do like to corner fairly hard, my days of pushing things to the absolute limit are gone so a budget tyre will probably do me fine.

I actually find the original Hankook tyres quite satisfactory (other than being a bit noisy) and would happily have them again if they were a reasonable price.

Anyhow, are there any other budget tyres that you would recommend?

Cheers  :goodjob:

Hi Rusty,
The Supercats are fine for what you're talking about. The only thing I can't advise on is expected mileage.
And I agree the Hankooks are pretty good apart form the noise. I also suspect the 16" 55 series Hankook is considerably better than the 15"  65 series I had.

The Duraplus I fitted don't yet come in your size.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal