New tyres needed

kittikat · 37 · 10199

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Dazzler what sort of km have you done in the Dunlop SP 300e. I was disappointed cause they lasted less than 30000 km on the front on our Aurion.

Just been rotated again at the 30,000 service, looks like we'll get about 50,000 or so  :goodjob:...Not great but being a soft/quiet tyre not expecting huge mileage  :winker:

Got about 55K out of the 16" Kumho's on the CRDi..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Anyhow, are there any other budget tyres that you would recommend?

Cheers  :goodjob:

Here's one from left field.

I subscribe to Choice magazine. Think what you may, but they have done about 4 or 5 tyre tests over the last few years in different sizes and they BF Goodrich Sport T/A always seem within the top 2 they recommend. Seems to do very well in dry and wet in terms of cornering speed and braking distance.

I would have been sceptical but when they score highly in their tests repeatedly year after year I decided to take a plunge. Got 2 for my Aurion to replace the Dunlop 300E.  They've been fine. No increase in noise that I can see.

For the Aurion in 215/60 R16 tyres cost me $125 each from Jax tyres.

Only thing I can't say is longevity but the have a treadwear rating higher than the 300E.

They are however directional tyres.

Just checked and unfortunately don't come in i30 size.  But anyway reasonable tyre.
Goodyear Assurance Armourgrip also did well in their test.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I subscribe to Choice magazine. Think what you may, but they have done about 4 or 5 tyre tests over the last few years in different sizes and they BF Goodrich Sport T/A always seem within the top 2 they recommend. Seems to do very well in dry and wet in terms of cornering speed and braking distance.

I would have been sceptical but when they score highly in their tests repeatedly year after year I decided to take a plunge. Got 2 for my Aurion to replace the Dunlop 300E.  They've been fine. No increase in noise that I can see.

For the Aurion in 215/60 R16 tyres cost me $125 each from Jax tyres.

Goodyear Assurance Armourgrip also did well in their test.

That seems cheap... :goodjob: I reckon my local Goodyear mate will probably try and steer me towards the Assurance though...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Goodrich is now a division of Michelin.
Tread looks OK but I'll be interested to see how the shoulder wears.

BTW. It's not widely known but tread wear ratings are generally only effective guides within a particular brand. Those with high tread wear ratings would have you believe that at 240 in, say a Bridegstone is the same as a 240 in a Dunlop or a Pirelli.
Don't take that as gospel.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

BTW. It's not widely known but tread wear ratings are generally only effective guides within a particular brand. Those with high tread wear ratings would have you believe that at 240 in, say a Bridegstone is the same as a 240 in a Dunlop or a Pirelli.

How does tread affect shoulder wear Surferdude.

Make sense what you say about treadwear ratings. Like I said, no idea how long it will last, but for my everyday driving these have been good. No complaints
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

How does tread affect shoulder wear Surferdude.

Make sense what you say about treadwear ratings. Like I said, no idea how long it will last, but for my everyday driving these have been good. No complaints

Sorry. Two answers to two different comments. the first was about the particular BF Goodrich.

The second refers to

Only thing I can't say is longevity but the have a treadwear rating higher than the 300E.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal