5 months and 10.000 km with i30

abou · 8 · 4000

Offline abou

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Normandie, France

• "A man's got to know his limitations"
Hello !
Here are my feelings after 5 months and 10,000 km driving my 1.4 petrol i30...

Nothing wrong with the car and the engine : good quality, just a car without worries  :P
The ride is very healthy, despite the small torque and power (the variable valve timing helps !). It's a great car  :goodjob:
I just encountered two defects : first is a vibration in the roof light (I could have looked at that but with music on I don't hear it), second is a exceeded fall time of the engine speed when changing gear from up to down... According to Hyundai this is normal. It is not unpleasant but clearly this is not a sport way of driving  :whistler: ; after all I didn't bought that car for sport...
Next report for 20.000 km !
Regards

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
I too have the 1.4 and have covered 11,000 miles. Could you tell me what the fuel consumption is on average?

The second problem you have is to do with the engine or gear box?

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice feedback Abou :D

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Good news Abou...  I am sat here waiting for your next report   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:i30: :i30: :i30:

Offline abou

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Normandie, France

Glad if you liked it  :whistler: I wish I have more things to say but it's not easy for me to translate it...
Average fuel consumption is exactly 7.3 L/100km (I let you translate in miles  :P) on computer, for an average speed of 55 km/h since the origin.
When full of petrol, it have 620 km remaining (as you can see on the picture, more than 3/4 of fuel and 500 km remaining) and I can really do more than 700 km, so in reality fuel consumption is close to 7.5
I mostly do speedway and small roads (we have much pretty small and fun roads in France too)... pretty average for a 110 hp petrol engine and a weight of 1300 kg  :lol:
Regards

Offline abou

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Normandie, France

Sorry Gibber I didn't saw your second question at first  :faint:
To my experience the second "problem" is linked to the engine, but now with fuel injection systems it will not be easy to check...
I'm not sure how to explain : I have the feeling that when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear (by example), the time it takes for the engine to pass from 3000 to 2000 rpm is too long.
It is not a problem when driving slowly (the most of the time, chlidren powered), but when I want to have a little fun of by myself on small roads it is not pleasant...
Same thing when descending gears but I often have the old reflex of "double clutch" (we say like that ?) so I compensates...
Did you encounter the same feeling ? According to french dealer it is normal and it corresponds to sales target (I can believe that by the way : cool and confortable car at nice price is good enough :P)...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks abou... very interesting  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Hi abou,

My consumption is around 43mpg or 6.6l per 100km. I think the car being so light means I can almost drive it like a diesel using little rpm. As you, I usually have my children on board!

I will check this weekend how the rpm drops on changing gear but not noticed a problem. If I am enjoying the driving I don't let the rpm drop below 3000 on gear changes!

And yes I understand double clutch.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal