i30 Owners Club

Ground clearance - 2013 Diesel Bluedrive

nic83 · 6 · 2382

Offline nic83

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Does anyone else have problems with the bottom of their car catching? It only happens when I've got passengers in the rear and go over large speed bumps or uneven ground. I've never had the problem with the same roads in any of my old cars though. I don't know if the Bluedrive versions are lowered for better efficiency and if this might be the cause? My biggest problem with it is leaving my drive which is a slight incline followed be a small decline and dropped kerb. It grates really badly and sounds terrible whenever I have passengers in the back. I usually get people to wait down the street so I can get out the drive then collect them! This doesn't go down well on rainy days though!

I've looked underneath and I can see a plastic lip going most the way across the car a bit in front of the rear tyres. I'm not sure if it is that grating or the exhaust which seems to hang lower than the lip. Anyone else had the same issue? I don't know if something has dropped a bit or if this is normal?
  • i30 1.6 CRDI Blue Drive

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Can you post a photo plus can you also provide measurement say ground to top of wheel arch and ground  to sill and i'll compare to my car
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I once had the exact same problem leaving my Garage which is a slight uphill followed by a slight downhill and off the kerb......   and the noise was awful.

SWMBO was in the car with me and I assumed that our combined mass was creating it's own gravity and pulling us closer to mother earth.

Since I was due to drive some distance the following day I called for fuel and decided to check the tyre pressures to be sure of good fuel economy.  It was then that the cause of the scrape was brought home to me.   Tyre pressures were way, way down.  In my case the problem was easily solved, I blew me tyres up and voila problem solved.

I hope your problem is equally easy to solve.   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good one ASA, hope that is it... Try about 36 PSi all around nic83  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I once had the exact same problem leaving my Garage which is a slight uphill followed by a slight downhill and off the kerb......   and the noise was awful.

SWMBO was in the car with me and I assumed that our combined mass was creating it's own gravity and pulling us closer to mother earth.

:rofl:
You are a funny (and brave) man, Asa.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline nic83

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thanks for the replies. I'll get some measurements and post them up. It does seem that part of the exhaust hangs quite low compared to everything else which might be what is grating. Not sure if that is normal though. Don't suppose anyone has come across any pics of the underside of the new i30 online? I couldn't find any to compare.
  • i30 1.6 CRDI Blue Drive

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal