i30 Owners Club

Car Overheating-the not starting

Offline Olaf Schubert

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Dwellingup WA
My wife drives our 2009 I30 desiel. Comming home she noticed the temp was rising and before it reached Boiling point she pulled over let it cool and put some water in. The car would not start for her after that. The RAC were called (all this while I'm on site 300klm away and still am). The RAC guy claimed it could be a blown head and it has been towed to a garage.

The oil had been checked and it appeared to be clear of water prior to the RAC guy who did not check this. I am not familliar with the I30 does it have an auto cutout if the engine over heats avoiding damaging the head. Could the not starting be related to a saftey function?

Olaf
  • 2009 I30 Diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
No auto cut out that is apparent. You need to do a scan, see if any codes are present that may inhibit a start.
Water and oil mix does not always happen, but the i30 head is quite robust. Only heard of a few cases in 5 years.
Good that she had the sense to stop before it got bad. 80% keep driving and kill the motor.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
We appear to be neighbours.
I'm 6208.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Olaf Schubert

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Dwellingup WA
I will need to do a scan for issues. What do I need to acieve this and where can I aquire one
  • 2009 I30 Diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Any good mech workshop. Supercheap do scans free & charge to clear codes
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal