i30 Owners Club

What oil to use?

Offline klyvenator

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Whats the best value oil for servicing a Hyundai i30 2010 SX auto 2.0 petrol? I live in the Gold Coast so temperatures are around 25-35 degrees constantly. I need to change the oil frequently as I do very short trips often and the engine has some build up.
  • Hyundai i30 2010 Petrol 2.0 SX

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Shell Ultra 5W-40 is a great price at $44 if you have a Blackwoods store nearby :undecided: it'll be $60+ usually at Supercheap or Autobarn.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I used to use Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic in my 2.0 Beta Elantra (same motor as the one in the FD i30... Serviced every 7500 and ran like a dream
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I used to use Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic in my 2.0 Beta Elantra (same motor as the one in the FD i30... Serviced every 7500 and ran like a dream
Even though it says full synthetic "it's not" it's got just enough % of synthetic additive for them to be able to legally advertise it as synthetic, it is still created from a mineral base stock.

True full synthetics are Group 4 PAO ( Poly Alfa Olefin ) listed oils which as a base are created from polymer's - natural gas and numerous synthetics, then going through chemical processes to make a full and true synthetic oil.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:49:38 by CraigB »

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Buy a box of filters then, change filters as often as you want and top up the oil each time.
  • i-30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Continually changing filters will only remove particle matter that's been trapped, it wont fix stressed oil.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
It's all about filtration and filters are cheap. Once partially blocked with sludge, the filter will run by-pass so what's the use of that.
To clean a dirty engine the most efficient way is lots of filters and top up with fresh oil at each filter change.
Even the cheapest oil's detergent will do its job.
  • i-30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Filters wont do much if anything for stressed oil and topping new oil up over the old oil is just a waste of new oil :eek:

Normal changes are 15,000km's but as the OP wants to do frequent changes then 7500km's with new oil and filter is what is recommended.

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Each to his own.
I have trucking mates who never change oil. That's right 500,000k's + on original oil.
No flash oils either, just mineral oil although some do love their synthetics.
They change engine oil filters at around 50,000k and all have been fitted with by-pass filtration.
The by-pass filters filter to 1 micron and are changed at around 15,000k.
It's worth a look at the strip down videos of these engines, some with over 1,000,000k.
I'm sold.
  • i-30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Each to his own.
I have trucking mates who never change oil. That's right 500,000k's + on original oil.
No flash oils either, just mineral oil although some do love their synthetics.
They change engine oil filters at around 50,000k and all have been fitted with by-pass filtration.
The by-pass filters filter to 1 micron and are changed at around 15,000k.
It's worth a look at the strip down videos of these engines, some with over 1,000,000k.
I'm sold.
We're not talking about trucks are we :whistler: big diesel engines are completely different as they very rarely do short stop start drives and rpm's are very low, oil filters for normal cars are also 10 microns.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal