i30 Owners Club

Parksafe front sensors not working with BRANDNEW 1.8L petrol 2015 premium SR i30

nangers · 42 · 14426

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Okay - that seems to work  :)

As for silicon - it is a practical solution with little expense, and you won't have to get/make something custom (from scratch or customizing another part).   Don't know how it would react to body work and/or how it long it will last (UV, heat, vibration, etc.) - possibly someone will know what is suitable.   As for look/styling not sure - if black silicon it probably isn't going to draw much attention... other colours might.

While still running with the silicon idea... though it would up expense slightly... maybe see if you can get some black PVC pipe that fits the hole in bumper (I would suspect if it did so reasonably tightly the sensor would sit on top of the other end.  Would require less silicone and colour of it probably wouldn't be noticeable - downside is it would require someway to feed the wires thorough the short piece of pipe.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

You could try plumbers pvc pipe and have it coloured the same as your existing paintwork. It comes in various sizes.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Or use clear silicone, but for what you have paid you really shouldn't have to do this...

What did the installer say about Alan's mention of reprogramming them? Can you ask him questions by email or something?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
... for what you have paid you really shouldn't have to do this...

Echo that.

They're either not working to spec or not fitted to spec. Either way, they're not fit for purpose...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
 :wts:

You may as well have fitted them yourself at this rate.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline nangers

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
Thanks for all these suggestions, as there is quite a high chance that the installer would not know what to do himself ................ that's what I am preparing for anyway.
  • 2015 i30 SR premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think a substantial rebate or discount is in order.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nangers

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
I am posting an update to the resolution to my problem.  I decided to not wait for my installer as he is on holidays for another month.

So I went to Supercheap Auto in the hope of finding a rubber grommet.  It turned out that they had an exact grommet size that fit the sensors perfectly - 3/4 inch.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Champion-Wiring-Grommet-3-4-Handy-Pack.aspx?pid=17410#Recommendations

Cost me $6 for 2 grommets.

Attached is a picture of the install.

Moral of the story - sometimes installing a better quality product will cause more problems than installing an lesser quality product.  In my case, installing a better quality sensor with wider angle of detection caused all the problems, whereas installing a cheaper chinese sensor with a smaller angle of detection would not have caused this problem.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:12:35 by nangers »
  • 2015 i30 SR premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Good cheap fix.  :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Nice!  That looks good.    :goodjob:

I notice that number plate mount isn't mounted - and I suspect it will break your sensor fix if it was.  Have you put anything - like foam tape - to cushion the number plate from the bumper?  To reduce (potential) vibration and/or plate marking the bumper by movement (e.g. rubbing paint off or scratching).

In the long term I would be after the installer to fix it (once they return), but that is just me.   Course that also depends on if you feel they are able to do such.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline nangers

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
I'm not worried about the number plate scratching the grill.  The number plate would always cover the scratched grill anyway.  To be honest, I really cant be bothered chasing up the installer anymore. I've put too much time and effort thinking about this to bother.  I'm just glad that I have sensors that work and if ever needed to be replaced, it is an easy pop out and plug in new sensors. 

Thank you to everyone here for all the help and suggestions. 
  • 2015 i30 SR premium

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
I think the fault lies in fixing the sensor to the recessed part of the grille (that is how it looks to me). If that is the case, it is an epic blunder by the installer & should be remedied in full by the installer.
The sensor must be fitted to the most forward face of the area to be protected.
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L GDI, Auto, SR Premium, Creamy White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal