i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30cw 2010 keeps stalling

Offline Cheveri30

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
Hi. this is my first time posting to any forum. I hope someone out there can be helpful as my mechanics are not. My 2010 i30cw stalls randomly. This has happened 3 times this week. Basically I am driving and the car just turns off. The first 2 times it would not start up again immediately. This morning it did. The battery was checked as well as the computer. I am looking for other educated opinions. I look forward to your responses. Thank you.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30cw

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
A difficult question to answer as there could be any number of possibilities.

However, Has the car been running well prior to this event. Has the car been recently serviced.

Check that all power cables from the battery and earth cables are making good contact, preferably check with a multimeter at least 12.5 volts for + and select continuity check for earths, should be almost 0 ohms. The vehicle is also fitted with a BCM (Body control Module), has this been checked also.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Cheveri30

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
Thank you for the reply. It is one of those mystery situations. I will run those suggestions by the mechanic.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30cw

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Fuel starvation may be such as clogged filter or intermitant pump
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hello and welcome.
The information you have given us is a bit slim.
My best guess would be to check earth cables (as per Phil above); but especially any fuse or relay related to the IGNITION system. ( Just checking....you do have a petrol CW ???)
As a rule of thumb, failure due to an electrical fault will be instantaneous; fuel related problems will usually cause erratic engine performance before it shuts down.
Once the motor is running you can disconnect the battery and it will happily continue to operate; so from what you describe, we can eliminate battery.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 20:52:44 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
well, K have a very similar problem.
the engine stalled only once when idling, then it was hard to start, when started, the ESP off was on and the engine ran a bit rough.
now and again, when starting, it will be hard to start, when this happens, the ESP off light will be on and the engine will run a bit roughly.
but, if I kill the engine as soon as it starts and start again, it will start normally.
spark plugs are new, air filter is new.
 :confused:
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Check the evap valve. Back of motor , RH (gear box) end.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
do you have a schematic or picture to show the valve?
what is it for?

a quick google search explained.
the faulty valve description match the issue I have, except for the check engine light.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 15:38:11 by yodm »
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal