i30 Owners Club

After two weeks driving the 6 speed CRDi i30 SLX

Lakes · 9 · 5415

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well i have both the SX 5 speed CRDi & the SLX 6 speed with the U2 CRDi. now have 600k all in Sydney traffic. have just been taking it easy, probably not the best conditions for economy but i have not reset the trip computer from new & it's sitting on 5.7 /100k so happy also still has not needed fuel, this is the tank it came new with ( full tank. ) I'm now very happy i spent the extra & got the SLX, but still nothing wrong with the SX CRDi it performs well, in fact last weekend driving my beloved Betsy i felt Betsy was the faster car as she just performs that well even off the lights, but as a new car she was very slow the gear box was very stiff. now its all smooth & freed up & she performs well. but yesturday driving Crystal to work, i gave her a bit of a workout off the lights, not flat out eather & i was really surprised at how well she performs for an almost new CRDi, she has a much harder Torque hit than Betsy & the 6 speed is really slick & fast shifting. i especially like the new 5th & 6th gear very useable even at 80KPH this U2 has useable Torque from 1,000rev ( not wide open throtle ) it pulls from 1,000 with what i would estimate @ about 50% of maxium Torque then at 1,500 feels like 80% maxium Torque very smooth no fuss like Betsy used to have . the 5th gear will pull @ 60kph better than betsy does in 5th @ 70kph & 6th gear will pull @ 80kph as well as the 5 speed @ 70KPH.
After driving the 6 speed then hopping in Betsy & useing the 5 speed you notice the big jump from 4th to 5th gear. i think the U2 motor & the 6 speed should be fun in the mountains on the twisty bits. i'll be checking economy on a trip this weekend.
a young guy i work with tried to swap a late model Falcon for Betsy i told him he would need two or three falcons for a clean swap, he was upset :rofl:. i told him you forget when you went to fill up last with the CRDi i30 but with the Falcon you live in your wallet & are well known to the local servo operator as your always in there filling up  :rofl:
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Brilliant feedback thanks John...Geez... keep this up and I'll be trading Sparky,ZZap or whatever we want to call her on a new 6 speed CRDi  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thought i would report, the L/100K just droped to 5.6L/100k yesturday still have not reset trip from new still in syd traffic just have 660k up probably fill the tank tonight with Vortex diesel ready for the run on weekend. my GF will be comeing back with me so will be loaded up & will have some real world economy numbers. compleat with full size 16" spare tyre. i would just love to put down a challenge to VW with there new VW golf blue, come on an economy challenge in Australia this summer one driver only in each car as they come from showroom no internet hook up no service team no mobile phone just a driver & a car as it comes i make up the route. that cars got no spare at all.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Will be interested to see what you get on your trip John... :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i got back have 1,450k up now & goes in for first free service.
i drove over blue mountains so was a big climb, i turned off trip to start the L/100K off again for this trip, was in peak hour traffic leaving Sydney. saw L/100K reading as low as 4.2L/100Kwhen i got to my GF's was reading 4.6L/100k. we drove to the Banjo Patterson Festival @ a little town called Yeoval then we went right out west to some growers markets so not really the best conditions for economy road surface is also very rough so not the best for economy, like you know the low rolling resistance tyres help economy well a thats with a very smooth road surface. the rough  roads & your motor has to work harder to keep up momentum. just explaning all this as too many people just think when you drive in the country you should get the extra urban economy, but you must also allow for conditions. also the temps were very cold out there all weekend but warm back in sydney. anyway my GF came back with me and we had a good load in the car, also i was just driving the car not trying for economy just driving normal & useing Cruise when i could as i'm lazy & was a lot of police cars out on the road with radars fitted saw a lot of people stopped by police too. anyway i get home and have covered 800k on this tank with the fuel gauge reading at half ( i know it's not really half but from experience i've got 500k left in tank trip Computer showing 4.5L/100k so very happy with that. i filled it right to the very top on Caltex Vortex b4 leaving sydney at same servo i always used with Betsy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks John .. sounds great (what does GF think?) does she like the upgraded features and look of the SLX?  :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i'm in trouble again so not too sure what she is thinking m8.
might go down south coast on weekend

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i'm in trouble again so not too sure what she is thinking m8.
might go down south coast on weekend

ooops  :confused: (sorry to hear that..)  :disapp:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Shoulda bought a ring instead of the new i30, Lakes..... :p

Seriously though, hope you sort it all out... :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal