i30 Owners Club

First Month plus a couple of questions..

rjaye · 9 · 3124

Offline rjaye

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• After You II
Hi all! Hope all's well with you all!

Just a quick first month update.. (next update will be 1st year! or 15,000km whichever comes first)

Love driving my i30! Went on a trip 600km round trip and i30 performed very well on its first outing at 110kmh for long periods. 1st service @ 1200km.. Clock now 1752..

Some points I like to share.
1. First full tank (50liters - no patience!) = 532 km before fuel warning came on.
2nd full tank (50 liters) = 596 km.
3rd full tank (50 liters) = still at half mark but 356km traveled so far.. Looking good!

2. After cleaning the car, I noticed stone chips on my bonnet, and one on the right headlight :( I read the thread about touch paint pen, but placed a "Novus" sticker on two deep ones :) I'll call Motors next week to see if they have a better solution.

3. there's a dent/scratch on my alloy wheel, right side - rear :( Unusual coz I've only hit the kerb on the left while reverse parking, and hit the kerb with the tire.

4. I've hit the pavement with the underside of the front bumper, right side twice! Coming down on a ramp, and didn't slow down quickly. Can still hear the screeching sound! Deep scratches on the black plastic (i think its plastic). Is this replaceable in the future? Might hit the pavement again, you'll never know..

5. Hit a shrub and scratched the right side... Heaps of white marks... After washing/cleaning the paint re-emerged and only one line mark is obvious.. I really still am learning its handle/ radius..

7. Final thoughts: Fun to drive! EPS is great to have. Heaps of space for a comfortable long trips with luggage..

Questions:
1. Anyone of you regularly use an automatic car wash? I don't think I can spend much time as others in the forum :)

2. Anyone used the rear space to place a push bike securely? I'm going on a long trip soon and I don't want to just lay the bike down as usual. Send pictures, please!

Thanks all! Sorry for the long tale. But really enjoying the ride...

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
1. Anyone of you regularly use an automatic car wash? I don't think I can spend much time as others in the forum :)

2. Anyone used the rear space to place a push bike securely? I'm going on a long trip soon and I don't want to just lay the bike down as usual. Send pictures, please!
hey looks like you're really enjoying the car :D
mine's up to 1300 already now in about 3 weeks, 1 stone chip eeek

with the bike, not quite sure what you want there, but you can get a bike rack that fits on the tow bar. obviously you have to get a towbar fitted first. both are hyundai fitted accessories.

with a car wash, do you mean a drive through where you sit in your car, or where you still do it yourself using the provided hoses etc?
cons to both. drive throughs use the large motorised brushes beating on the car and can cause scratches on the paint work and irregularities. and you have no idea what wash mix they're using.
the second type, well many of them do this thing where you pay and they expect you to use ALL of their equipment, or maybe in some they come out and give it a quick wash down for you. often this shared equipment can have built up debris, dust and grime from cars of the day (or heavan forbid the week) still in them, and you are transferring this to your car. they may use substandard cleaning products. just do a bit of legowrk, see what they do and if you are allowed to bring you own equipment etc, you mostly want a dedicated mitt. :)
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline sweetbix

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

3. there's a dent/scratch on my alloy wheel, right side - rear :( Unusual coz I've only hit the kerb on the left while reverse parking, and hit the kerb with the tire.

This is why I now take my sweet time when kerb parking...I don't care who is waiting to get past.
  • 09 Auto SR 2.O Petrol

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
i park like this

Only kidding  ... i only park like this outside my door as i live at the end of a col-de sac, he he,..as for washing i only use the stuff i brought as i know what has happend/ what it was last used for.. you never know .. i once took one of my old cars to a carwash (not auto) where you use a hose/ bush yourself and unbeknowing to me the was biggish stone in the brush and i scatched all over the car and being wet didnt see it untill the car dried

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
You only need 1 trip to an automatic car wash to ruin the paint on a new car.

Offline rjaye

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• After You II
Thanks snowcherry, sweetbix, hippo and Lorian!

Here's my bike in rear question:

As you can see "Loads must be secured before driving." Short trips fine lying down.. but long trips?.. Thoughts on this, anyone? Sorry to use a rival car pic ;)

As for carwash: I meant the drive-through automatic ones - pay, drive, stop, wash, dry.. But now hearing from hippo and lorian, it seems a bad idea. I can't wash at my place as it wets the neighbors' porch! The way I use to wash is the soap first and rinse $3dollar type, which my Pulsar loved ;)

I had FREE wash compliments of Hyundai on my 1st 1000km service! That was the 1st wash ever ;) So I don't think I can wait a year or 15,000km..

Thanks for the replies guys and gals!

Cheers..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi rjaye seeing as you're in Tassie I better say hi again  :razz:

I agree about auto car wash if you haven't got time polish your car just give it a quick wash and wax with a good quality car wash (only take about 20 minutes)

I have a spray on wax .. think it's called Eagle one? (buried somewhere in the new garage  :rolleyes:) it was fairly cheap.. you just wash the car as normal and then while it's still wet spray this stuff on and chamois the car off for a great shine  :D

Not that I've washed her lately...

You sound a bit accident prone but good to hear you are happy with the car...

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
there's a couple of the DIY car wash places near me, they seem to be getting popular so there's probably one near you as well. you pay to use the hoses and they do expect you to use their other equipment but just don't. i think its about $10 for so many minutes?

get your own good mitt, a decent carwash, and a chamoi and take yourself down to the DIY place.
rinse car, soap down, rinse off, dry off
if the car is quite dirty you may want to consider paying a good detailer at first to give the car a wash, polish and shine so you just upkeep the washes later

you can also get spot cleaners, quick detailers, bug cleaners - stuff like that if you have any particular problem areas outside of general washing

------

no idea on the bike inside the car sorry
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline rjaye

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• After You II
Thanks Dazz! Fellow Tasmanian ;) Trying my best to be careful...

Snowcherry, thanks, too! I will try NOT to spend too much than what's necessary ;) But noted all the advice in this thread and all the others in the site... We don't want our very nice car to fade too quickly ;)

Thanks all!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal