i30 Owners Club

Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 any good for CRDI

i30CRDI · 15 · 7157

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
Hi Guys,
Decided to do my own oil changes from now on the Wifes 2008 CRDI. Repco have Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 for $40 until Sunday and wondered if this is suitable for the CRDI. I have used 5W-30 Castrol in the past.
Cheers
Mark

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Haven't used it, but as long as it is Fully synthetic and ACEA B4 rated, should be fine.

Note the 40 grade will provide nice protection through the Aussie summer months.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

Good Price ($65 at Supercheap!)  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
Thanks Guys, Looked up the specs and it does specify API SM, SN/CF
ACEA A3/B4-10.
Cheers
Mark

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
That's exactly what I use in all B4 rated Hyundai's. Go for it.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
Just noticed they also have Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 SM/CF on special for $34.99 as well. Anyone used this?
:link: Repco Catalogues

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is a great price too... Doggie 1 and a few others use that.. it's good stuff! :goodjob:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I use the Shell Helix Ultra.  Excellent price for it.

It's amazing that I have just rung 15 stores in NSW and not one of them have any in stock.  Even had one store say there is none in the warehouse either.

Apparently some stores only had 10 bottles in stock.   At least Supercheap have plenty in stock when they run specials.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's amazing that I have just rung 15 stores in NSW and not one of them have any in stock.  Even had one store say there is none in the warehouse either.

Apparently some stores only had 10 bottles in stock.   At least Supercheap have plenty in stock when they run specials.

Wow, that is pretty poor! (maybe go with the Valvoline then?) :undecided:

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby

I just picked up the last Shell Helix Ultra from Repco Waitara so was lucky as they were just closing. They had at least 6 of the Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 in stock so I ended up with one of each.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Very old trick to get people in the stores,it's called Ghost advertising,they only have to prove they did have one five litre bottle in any of their stores during the sale period to get away with it,Repco does this sort of thing one a regular basis.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
The Castrol Edge is on special this weekend as well. Wonder how many they have in stock :undecided:
:link: Repco VIP Club

Offline VF69HARDTOP

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Did you end up using the valvoline synpower or the Castrol? Curious as I bought two bottles of the valvoline synpower 5w40 from repco yesterday as it was $32 a bottle. I hope the 5w40 will be a good choice with the hot Adelaide summer coming up.

I also got my filter from Hyundai and the parts guy offered me the kia version ( being exactly the same) for $29 versus Hyundai boxed for $47!!!

Cheers
  • i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Very old trick to get people in the stores,it's called Ghost advertising,they only have to prove they did have one five litre bottle in any of their stores during the sale period to get away with it,Repco does this sort of thing one a regular basis.

It is also a form of Bait advertising, unless they specify that the quantities are limited. Having one bottle in stock in a store would not absolve them of their obligations. However, having someone come in and buy a heap might.

They should either retract the advert or offer to honour the price when they get the stock.

The ACCC is quite interested in this practice.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

They should either retract the advert or offer to honour the price when they get the stock.

:agreed:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal