i30 Owners Club

Retrofit of height adjustable base /subframe to passenger seat

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi. I just taken delivery of my new (UK) i30 Comfort CRDi Auto, "2011" model (ie with revised grill and side skirts).
Nice car, I am very impressed so far.
I would like to fit a height adjustable seat base /subframe to the passenger side, ie like fitted to driver side.  I was unable to special-order this to be fitted @ the factory. 
I presume that the base /subframe can be detached from the actual car seat?
Is it possible (for me ideally) to retrofit a height adjustable left hand seat subframe (ie passenger seat) without too much messing about?  I am acutely aware that there are air bags in the seats that will demand some care.
Is the seat (ie padded parts etc) that is fitted to a fixed height subframe the same as the seat fitted to an adjustable height frame?
Obviously these adjustable frames will be made for driver seats in LHD cars, and so must be obtainable by some order process, and may even be the same as those supplied in UK for Kia Cee'd's that come armed with both height adjustment and lumber support on both front seats.
Any help appreciated about sourcing a seat frame, and removal & refit of the seat will be most appreciated - thanks.  I have (unashamedly!) posed this same query on a couple of Hyundai forums with no real result so far.
Thanks
Ed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ed.. We had this same issue with our i30 but i didn't think of the LDH / RHD aspect (great lateral thinking) My wife is only 5 ' tall and finds modern dashboards too high and in your face. We got around it (a bit) by buying some hi density foam which I cut to size with an electric knife. This is sandwiched between the passenger seat and the (thick) lambswool seat covers which raises the wife an inch or two..

We are currently looking to upgrade to a Hyundai i45 which has an even higher dash so was thinking about investigating some sort of spacer blocks and longer bolts to lift the seat by say 2 inches (5cm)

I will be as interested to see if WE  :D get any constructive answers on this thread...

Welcome to the club by the way  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
We are currently looking to upgrade to a Hyundai i45 which has an even higher dash so was thinking about investigating some sort of spacer blocks and longer bolts to lift the seat by say 2 inches (5cm)
Thanks.
The ideal solution has to be a factory order complete with the correct toys.  In UK we don't know what an i45 is (maybe yet)!  However in the UK the Kia Cee'd that is said to share much of the i30 underpinnings & kit, and built in a nearby factory etc, is actually supplied in UK with lumbar and height adjustment to both driver & passenger seats.  (But a deal on a Cee'd with diesel & auto was very much more (25%!) expensive than the i30, and the Cee'd is also not supplied here in my favourite Shine red!).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks.
The ideal solution has to be a factory order complete with the correct toys.  In UK we don't know what an i45 is (maybe yet)!  However in the UK the Kia Cee'd that is said to share much of the i30 underpinnings & kit, and built in a nearby factory etc, is actually supplied in UK with lumbar and height adjustment to both driver & passenger seats.  (But a deal on a Cee'd with diesel & auto was very much more (25%!) expensive than the i30, and the Cee'd is also not supplied here in my favourite Shine red!).

i45 is the new model Sonata (see separate threads)

We don't get the Kia cee'd in Australia.. which is a pity because sounds like that will solve YOUR problem...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
cross the channel my mate!! mabey try phoneing a wrecking yard in france or something...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal