i30 Owners Club

Aussie radio show hosts take the p1ss out of the Poms!!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As of now, 2DAY FM has suspended all advertising at the station. From what I read earlier, the advertisers started abandoning them in droves anyway.

The station's owners have declared their sadness:

http://www.2dayfm.com.au/news/message-from-southern-cross-austereo/
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've been watching this unfold with a feeling of sadness for all involved. It shows how careful we all have to be in considering the wider effects of any of our actions involving others.

When you think about it human nature has always loved a prank. Whether it be something as simple as telling a group of mates in a pub about something silly one of your number did, through to the old "hidden camera" shows on TV. And as long back as I can remember it's been a staple of radio that they make hoax/prank calls to listeners. Andwe've seen it on here recently with the "ghost in th elift trick".

The introduction of the so-called social media and its popularisation has taken all this to a whole new level and meant that any prank, mistake, misdemeaner, accident etc can be publicised and commented on, world wide. Then there are comments on the comments. And the media seem to like nothing better than to feed on one of their own.

I suggest that the motivation behind  this prank was no worse than that in the original "pub" example quoted above. However, there was poor judgement in that the perpetrators should have considered that, at the very least, there could have been repercussions employment wise if they were successful in the call.

It's a tragedy that someone has died. And I agree the radio station must take a stance. Public opinion demands it.

But, we need to be mindful that two young people who's only "crime" was poor judgement (something many of us do every day when driving - we aren't always perfect behind the wheel), now find themselves under, if anything, even more mental stress than the poor nurse.

It would be an even greater tragedy if one of them was to feel the pressure so much as to attempt something similar. As it is they will have to live with their consequences for the rest of their lives.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well said Trev..  :hatoff:

Like I said earlier the stupid banter that is on a lot of these commercial radio stations can only very loosely described as entertainment. Sounds like a 5 minute "potentially harmless" prank will haunt them now for many years to come.

One of the things I really enjoy about this forum is the fact we are not that high profile that we have to to be "politically correct" to the letter.." thank goodness" because all this PC stuff "$h1ts me to tears"  :fum: :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
It is not funny, I have no time for those idiots on 2DayFM and many of  their like time.

A tragedy this.
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
A great article by Peter FitzSimons on the issue.

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/a-tragedy-but-who-is-at-fault-20121208-2b29q.html

Who are the real criminals here, the radio presenters, or the people sending them death threats?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As usual, Peter FitzSimons cuts right to the chase.
He said what I said above but much more succintly.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As usual, Peter FitzSimons cuts right to the chase.
He said what I said above but much more succintly.

I actually read Peter's article after I read your post, Trev, and I thought to myself, "That's what Trev said."  Peter does have a great way with words though.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The one thing missing from that otherwise excellent article is the fact that anyone with a smidgen of sense would have realised that if successful, the prank was likely to get the victims into trouble and could result in them losing their jobs. Publishing confidential medical information about a patient in the UK is at best offensive and at worst an offence. I agree they could not have foreseen the tragic consequence - but the possibility of it causing some harm to innocent medical staff was real.

Having said that - I do not condone the vitriol the 2 young presenters are being subjected to - after all it was just a prank by a couple of lively presenters. However, in their enthusiasm for ratings, they chose the wrong target, and were let down by the radio station lawyers who authorised confidential medical information to be broadcast. It is the station management and their legal advisors who should take the rap for the debacle and not the presenters.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
The one thing missing from that otherwise excellent article is the fact that anyone with a smidgen of sense would have realised that if successful, the prank was likely to get the victims into trouble and could result in them losing their jobs. Publishing confidential medical information about a patient in the UK is at best offensive and at worst an offence. I agree they could not have foreseen the tragic consequence - but the possibility of it causing some harm to innocent medical staff was real.

Having said that - I do not condone the vitriol the 2 young presenters are being subjected to - after all it was just a prank by a couple of lively presenters. However, in their enthusiasm for ratings, they chose the wrong target, and were let down by the radio station lawyers who authorised confidential medical information to be broadcast. It is the station management and their legal advisors who should take the rap for the debacle and not the presenters.

Oh c'mon Alan...   It's clearly the fault of the British media.  Oh hang on, doesn't that Aussie old bugger own the British media.   Now then, there something to think about  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'm gonna tell you an absolutely true story that has a degree of relevance.

When I was a young engineering apprentice a friend and I got ourselves into some trouble with one of our pranks.

Like all our fellow design office apprentices, one of our ‘friends’ Doug was deferred from doing 2 years National Service in the armed forces until he had completed his apprenticeship. Doug was a great lad and popular with us guys but was the biggest joker on two legs and was forever pulling pranks. He was engaged and due to get married in a couple of weeks.

One of my mates from outside work, who was a year older than me, had recently finished his apprenticeship and had been called up for National Service. I cadged off him all his official call-up paperwork and leaflets and we used it to forge a set of call-up papers for Doug. A friend of a friend even managed to get us a new OHMS prepaid envelop to post it in, which made it look totally authentic. We set the date of his medical examination to fall within his honeymoon.

After I sealed the envelope ready for posting, my co-conspirator asked whether I had put the time for his medical as well as the date on his medical call-up form. I thought I had – but a nagging doubt remained - so I steamed the envelope open to double check . As it happened, all was OK, so I re-sealed the envelope and popped it into the post on the Monday prior to his wedding.

We were all due to attend Doug’s stag party the following Friday and it was noticeable on Wednesday that Doug, normally the life and soul of the office, was very quiet and withdrawn. He must have had his call up papers by then and we expected him to mention it – but not a word. We thought maybe the post had been slow and he would get them on Thursday – but again he kept himself to himself and didn’t mention it. Others in the office – not aware of the prank - had asked him if he was OK and speculation was rife that there must be some problems with the wedding.

Friday arrived and Doug had taken the day off as holiday to get ready for his big weekend and the stag party which was being held in some private rooms in a local pub.

My mate and I arrived early for the stag party and met up with Doug’s brother. We asked him if Doug was OK because he had seemed troubled at the office.  His brother explained that there had been trouble at home. It seems that on Tuesday evening Doug had arrived home to be told that there was a letter for him on the sideboard. He  picked up the envelope and accused his mother of steaming it open. Furthermore, it was his call-up papers and his medical was due in 10 days whilst he was away in France on honeymoon.

We feigned surprise, shock horror and asked what Doug was going to do. His brother said that there was a reply paid envelope in the pack and he had used it to send a letter to the Military Deferment Board that he was on honeymoon and would they please give him an alternative date.

I can remember the feeling of panic that attacked me in an instant – and the huge relief for Doug an hour later when he arrived and we had to tell him it had all been a prank. I can also remember the huge bollocking I got from the Apprentice Manager when the deferment board representative called to find out who had been forging Her Majesty’s stationary.

What started out as big giggle at Doug’s expense resulted in the two of us being the subject of much ribbing from our mates for being so stupid and almost a close brush with the law.

It was a great stag party though – not that I can recall much about it- other than being awoken by a neighbour the following morning sprawled out, still blind drunk, on his front garden.

Perhaps it gave me an insight into the possible consequences of a prank. Doug’s mother never really ever forgot that her son should think she would steam his mail open. Doug got his proper call-up papers 3 months later and swears to this day it was the result of him contacting them because National Service was abandoned by the Military 6 months later and Doug was in the last batch to be conscripted.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great anecdote
 :)

(PS, it's "stationery")
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Great anecdote
 :)

(PS, it's "stationery")

She wasn't moving at the time........ :whistler: Bloody spell/grammar chequer fails again

I'm tempted to edit my bloomer - but I won't so others can have a laugh in the morning. It could be "mock a pom" week.......... :rofl:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Doug got his proper call-up papers 3 months later and swears to this day it was the result of him contacting them because National Service was abandoned by the Military 6 months later and Doug was in the last batch to be conscripted.

Not likely as deferred entries were still called up after normal  National Service was ended as I well know being involved in processing intakes.

Slightly 'on' topic...what was surprising  was the number of suicides and attempted suicides involving new entrants.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Doug got his proper call-up papers 3 months later and swears to this day it was the result of him contacting them because National Service was abandoned by the Military 6 months later and Doug was in the last batch to be conscripted.

Not likely as deferred entries were still called up after normal  National Service was ended as I well know being involved in processing intakes.

Thanks for that information - the worry and stress of causing him to be conscripted has been bugging me for the last 50 or so years - at long last I can breathe easy.................... :goodjob: :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow, that was an elaborate prank Alan  :goodjob: (Sounds like you haven't changed much)  :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
For our armchair psychiatrist  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Asa, please name the "armchair psychiatrist"
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Now where did I put my ref's whistle................... :wacko:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
If you do some detective work the answer is in the thread.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'm now concerned for the well being of the female DJ... She looked heartbroken herself when I saw a Ch7 interview with the two of them on our Sky News today.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The fallout from this, isn't over yet. Ffoxy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
For our armchair psychiatrist  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Asa, please name the "armchair psychiatrist"

I'm curious too..... :undecided:

As I could use some help....  :rofl:
Deafening silence, Rusty.  :wink:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Thanks for that information - the worry and stress of causing him to be conscripted has been bugging me for the last 50 or so years - at long last I can breathe easy.................... :goodjob: :whistler:

Not you I was worried about. What about poor old Doug? At least he can now be sure it wasn't his fault.   :blubber:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :undecided:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:46:04 by Phil aka 84 »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:44:55 by Phil aka 84 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My take on this is that the story hit a raw nerve for both of you (Asa and Phil) and just maybe you have both said things in a way not normally seen on this forum..(thankfully)

You two kissing and making up would not be a pretty sight (But I for one would like to see it)  :undecided:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
 :whsaid: Phil... Asa... how abaht it?

(stronger together.)
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Kieth, Dazz.....

I am cool about the whole deal.    :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Life goes on  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Kieth, Dazz.....

I am cool about the whole deal.    :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Life goes on  :goodjob:

:hatoff:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal