i30 Owners Club

Fuel Consumption

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Had my i30 1.4 (petrol version) for about 10 days now and have just covered 442 miles since my first fill up.

I just filled up again and it took 51.31 Litres, but the needle on the petrol gauge was still just above the bottom mark and the Trip said it would still do another 56 miles.

Based on that the car is doing just 39.1 MPG.  The main problem with that is I have only done out of town driving and kept my speed generally between 40-50 MPH as I am still running in.

If the car only holds 53 Litres then I was very lucky I did not run out. Is there no fuel warning light on this 1.4 Comfort version.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm sure that all i30 models have a low fuel light,ask your dealer.your economy will get better the more kms/mls you put on her. :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Hi I have the 1.4 comfort, do you mean the needle was still on the bottom AFTER filling up?. The fuel light generally comes on with 50 miles left, the distance to empty will disappear with 30 miles left. The trip will adjust itself based on the last few miles driven but the distance to empty will not increase during a journey. I found that economy seems to improve once you have done a few thousand miles, currently averaging about 40mpg for mainly short journeys.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Hi I have the 1.4 comfort, do you mean the needle was still on the bottom AFTER filling up?. The fuel light generally comes on with 50 miles left, the distance to empty will disappear with 30 miles left.

Sorry  :-[  I meant that BEFORE I filled up the gauge was showing just above the bottom mark.

If the car can only hold 53 Litres (11.67 gals approx) and the low fuel light comes on with approx 50 miles of fuel left in the tank (say 5.6 litres - 1.2 gals approx), that would indicate that I could only get about 47.4 litres to fill it up again, so how could I get 51.31 litres in it.

ie: (tank capacity 53)( - still in tank 5.6) = 47.4 Litres

Perhaps this petrol station pumps are wrong  :exclaim:

All very odd  :rolleyes:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My lil' diesel tank holds just over 57 litres despite the stated capacity being 53 :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bulldog180

• 4th Gear

• england England
      UK

• Cullompton, UK
Yes there is a amber warning light on the speedo when you get low as i found out yesterday :-[ and took my 1.4 petrol on a run last weekend consisting of motorway and A roads and got 50.3mpg :D

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I am envious of all these other users who are stating they are averaging over 43mpg  :rolleyes:

I have just bought a 1.6 edition and am averaging about 39.5 mpg after only 3 fillups. I guess that is good [considering my wife also drives it   ] and it is a mixture of driving  but I was hoping to average at least 42mpg as the salesman told me I should   
This equates to approx 7.1l/100km as I set up an account with this website http://www.fuelly.com that tracks all your performances. I don't really do a lot of hard driving so I have to say I'm slightly disappointed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Trev ... I think it will improve with age (maybe after say a few 1000 miles) we have had reports of different (better) oils improving economy too (and different fuels)

I had the diesels but from our ADR ratings and different things said on here over the past two years you should get closer to 6.5LPH in mixed driving once she is run in which according site:-

http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/fuelconsumption.php

is about 43.5 MPG

I think the saleman's claims aren't too far fetched...  :cool:

I've had three wive's and from my experience they are not normally very economical drivers... :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Dazz,

I've had three wive's and from my experience they are not normally very economical drivers...

.......  You shouldn't be so greedy  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
  Hi everyone  :) I've got a 2010 ..MY2011a  :rolleyes: i30cw 2 ltr: petrol auto trophy, which I purchased a short while ago ..... I've done 1270 klm: now and just had the first 1000 klm: service, The last time I filled up I worked out (no computer in the trophy) that it was doing 8.4 klm: per 100 klm: some or most of that was at freeway speed (105 kph) and I hope it may get better with a few thousand or so on the clock.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Dazz,

I've had three wive's and from my experience they are not normally very economical drivers...

.......  You shouldn't be so greedy  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not all at the same time.. :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Here are my figures in summer time (1.6 petrol, 92 grade is used, AT):
Air conditioning is almost always turned on, especially in rain
Countryside driving - 6.9 l/100km (this figure drops to 4.9 with driving 80 km/h)
Mix driving (countryside + city) -  8 l/100km
In a winter time the figures are definitely higher.
I always try to fill up the tank as soon as the petrol level approaches 1/4, it enables the pump to be properly cooled.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I am envious of all these other users who are stating they are averaging over 43mpg  :rolleyes:

I have just bought a 1.6 edition and am averaging about 39.5 mpg after only 3 fillups. I guess that is good [considering my wife also drives it   ] and it is a mixture of driving  but I was hoping to average at least 42mpg as the salesman told me I should   
This equates to approx 7.1l/100km as I set up an account with this website http://www.fuelly.com that tracks all your performances. I don't really do a lot of hard driving so I have to say I'm slightly disappointed.

Hi Trev...   I also have the 1.6 edition and I also get that mileage.  I use fuely but, I have only just begun using it however it indicates that when I do a work run i.e. all motorway I get 51 mpg. but when I just use it for round town it drops as low as 28mpg and the average is 38'ish.

I have had my edition now for eighteen months and have done 7.000 mls in her.   I am reasonably satisfied with this as I really try to avoid driving round the city.

Asa

Offline Pranav

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bairnsdale

• I30 CW AUTO Trophy Hyper Silver
I usually get 9.2 Km per litre

I once drove at 90 Kmph instead of 100 and I got 7.7 Km per litre.

I noticed the petrol engine has to work a lot harder once past 80 - 90 Kmph.  Not a great thing for highway cruising.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Pranav
I guess you meant liter per 100km, not the other way about, didn't you?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal