i30 Owners Club

How Far To The Tank

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The petrol economy thread is worked out to litres/100km....

Im just wondering among the petrol owners is to how far can they get on a tank with a 2 litre auto box.

I get just under 600k's and I don't go over 90kph...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Neptune, i've noticed petrol owners only talk about L/100K maybe i need to take one of them 100k from nowhere drain there tank give them the L they claim to use in 100k & see if they have to walk  :rofl:

Well i don't know what distance you could expect, as only petrol i drive now is a Harley Davidson & a Toyota Hi Ace van the van is auto, i have a fleet card so can use premium if i choose. i have used BP 98 and BP E10 SHell V-Power Shell E10 i think i saw a very slight gain in economy with the BP98 in the Van. with the bike i always use BP98 as its very high compression & carb.
what i would do is fill the tank to the very top, can be hard with a new petrol car as that flap makes it harder but a trick is wait till fuel at the very top, then rock your car from side to side wait see if it has air pockets, if it has bubbles will come up and you can put more fuel in till its full as it goes. then you need to drive as petrol will expand, diesel does not expand as much. but the more fuel you can get into the tank the further you could drive on one tank. i would expect a car like an i30 with a 2.0L auto trans i would expect to do 700k 750k on one tank in country if i was limiting speed to 90KPH, but with hills can let it go slower than 90 up hill and faster than 90 down hill, just try not to kick back a gear, see how you go let us know.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I had 586 klm on the clock the other day. Mix of city and highway driving but not heavy city traffic.
Took 44.38 litres of ULP and I did fill it to the brim. Almost always lean on the car and shake it when I'm filling.
EXcept if my wife is sitting in the car - she gets car sick. :scared:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'd never run with a full tank unless I was expecting to be on a Motorway for a long drive, why carry all that weight about?

I stick around 35 litres in a week & the car returns 43MPG (1.6 petrol Premium)

Of course if you hate visiting garages & insist on filling to the brim dont expect great economy, over time lugging those litres around will cost you.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've read that unless you need to have a full tank the optimum level/weight is 50% tank i.e. circa 25 to 30 litres to obtain best mpg return
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've found it to be when the gauge is showing empty and there's not a servo around for miles.... :winker:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd never run with a full tank unless I was expecting to be on a Motorway for a long drive, why carry all that weight about?

I stick around 35 litres in a week & the car returns 43MPG (1.6 petrol Premium)

Of course if you hate visiting garages & insist on filling to the brim dont expect great economy, over time lugging those litres around will cost you.
True but most people have at least one other person in their car. I'm almost always alone in mine. That has to offset the fuel weight.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal