i30 Owners Club

Losing memory after Parrot install

Offline 41south

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Wellington
Hi all,

I've owned Hyundai's for many years and have recently purchased a 2009 i30. yesterday I installed a Parrot MKi9200 - with some mixed results.

The big problem I have is that the radio is losing it's radio station memory after 10-20 minutes of the ignition/radio being turned off. When I next get into the car the radio displays the time and temp, needs to be turned on and has no memories. Interestingly the time is correct!

Secondary to this issue is a very load 'pop' from the speakers as the Parrot takes over the speakers and the lets them go at the end of a call or playing music.

Last but not least - a low level high pitch tone and alternator whine - but only during phone calls.

Anybody have any suggestions before I pull it out again and sell it!  :fum:

Many thanks for any help.

Colin
  • 2009 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: 41 south. I got excited when I saw your user name as I initially thought you might be from Tasmania  :winker:

I have never installed one of those so not sure if it could be an installation issue. Several of our members swear by (not at) their parrot and say good things!  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 41south

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Wellington
Thanks for the welcome Dazzler - sorry for being from the other side of the Tasman  :D

Yeah, I figure that it's something simple, I'll have a look at the power supply stuff, but it's a pretty straight forward 3 wire config. When I get a bit of time I'll experiment with plugging the radio power iso connector direct back, see if there are any badly crimped wires in the supplied loom and taking the power from another source and see if that fixes the issues.

It was supposed to be such a simple job too  :cool:

On the good side - the info in this forum re taking apart the dash to fit the Parrot was spot on - thanks heaps to the members for that!  :goodjob2:

Cheers
Colin
  • 2009 i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Colin

:wttc:

When loosing the memory, I think the pin 30 (constant power) is not connected to the radio.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 41south

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Wellington
Hi Asterix, thanks for the welcome.

I don't think I have a pin 30 in my wiring, which is as per the attached diagram. On the ISO connectors the constant (battery) power appears to be pin 4 of the A connector

Cheers
Colin
  • 2009 i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
It is the constant battery power I mean. I think my Words "pin 30" is wrong.

When I was a mechanic many years ago, the constant plus was named 30, ground was named 31, etc

It's the DIN 72552 standard we use, don't know if that is used in OZ.. :question:

You can see them here:  DIN 72552 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 41south

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Wellington
Well, just a short update on this, the memory problem persists with the radio unfortunately  :wacko: . To add to the woes I have found that the previous owner had jammed some CD's in the stacker, so it also is inoperative - anybody know how to take that apart?

All in all this is turning into an exercise in frustration with the Parrot and the radio. But .... the silver lining may be that this provides the impetus to trash the whole thing and install a nice 'home brew' 7" Android based solution  :winker:

I did kind of fix all the loud pops and the alternator whine from the Parrot - I went to using the Aux radio input rather than native speaker feeds. It's a fraction clunkier in operation but sounds great!

More to come after I come back from holiday in a couple of weeks. I do need to track down  double DIN facia for the i30 - if anyone knows of a RH kit can they sing out. My hunt so far has only turned up LH ones (I think, or does that only apply where the whole aircon facia is replaced not just the radio surround??)

Cheers
Colin 
  • 2009 i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal