i30 Owners Club

Difficulty and terrible smell when reversing!

Offline bradpete

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Dudley
I came across this problem about 4 weeks ago when reversing up a slight incline. The car had great difficulty making the incline and there was a terrible smell which had never occured before. Since then if I reverse for more than about 4 or 5 seconds the smell returns - the smell is so bad that it is difficult to remain in the car. I have a feeling this is a clutch problem but don't really know.
The car is a i30 MK1 Petrol 5 door. ( 60 Reg)

Many Thanks.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Terrible smell could be the clutch.

I have tried it with other cars, but not my i30, when reversing a little uphill with my caravan, but the smell usually disappears in a few minutes.

How steep is that slight incline   :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Does sound like a clutch problem unfortunately (how old is 60 reg?) If less than 12 months they may look at a clutch under warranty otherwise you might struggle sorry  :undecided:

Does the clutch take up in forward gears feel normal? Could the brakes be binding when you go in reverse (not sure if that is a possibility - just brainstorming, which is hard at 6.30am)

Might have to get the dealer to check it out  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Clutch warranty is 24 months/60,000 miles (UK) so you might have a show at having something done about it.
Of course they'll probably say you've been abusing the clutch and won't wanna do anything about it, but, you never know your luck....  :winker:

Offline Mad Dog

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Cheshire

• Barking Mad
Sounds like the same problem that I had in the 'Smelly clutch' thread (not sure how to post a link).

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=15073.msg166512#msg166512

Edit: Just copy and past the info from the browser address bar (Open an search the site in a separate browser window/ tab first)  :winker:
  • Ice Blue Petrol 1.4 Comfort Oct 11

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal