i30 Owners Club

Auto Climate control acting strangely

Beati3 · 15 · 4132

Offline Beati3

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Redfern, Sydney
Hi,

There are a couple of things going on. 1) I had an accident and ended up with the aircon sensor dislodged from the bumper, just left of the grill. It's just been fixed. 2) I was sick for a couple of weeks during the change of seasons from a hot Summer to a mild Autumn. So I don't know if this behaviour of the automatic climate control is expected or not. This is what happens: I press the auto button, aircon goes off and air goes to fresh. As I travel through around 5km of tunnels on my commute, I need the air to recirculate and the A/C on to stop the build up of moisture. I push the A/C button and Auto goes off. I can leave A/C off and change the airflow, but every time I turn A/C on Auto goes out. I need to know whether this behaviour is expected or whether it's being whacky in case I need to get the repairer to take another look at it. I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thank you.

Beati3
  • Hyundai i30 Premium GD 1.8 lt Petrol MY14

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
That's how mine works too.  Basically it's not Auto as soon you press any other button other "Auto". It is basically in semi Auto mode, so the temperature is maintained when the AC light is on, but will not automatically make other changes eg Demist, or Recirc vs Open vent etc.  The Auto mode will decide if it needs A/C or just the fan pulling in cool air from outside. 

Offline Beati3

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Redfern, Sydney
Excellent. Thank you for the reply. You saved me the trouble of asking the repairer to check. Much appreciated!
  • Hyundai i30 Premium GD 1.8 lt Petrol MY14

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :wts:

With the exception, from memory (haven't done it recently), in my FD with Climate Control - changing air-source (outside v recirculated) also will cause Auto mode to turn off.   Which I found/find annoying - however that is an earlier body type... maybe people complained so it was changed in later models.

• 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Does auto mode choose where to source the air from? From what I've noticed my always selects to recycle the air in the car. I always change it to use air from outside.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

With the exception, from memory (haven't done it recently), in my FD with Climate Control - changing air-source (outside v recirculated) also will cause Auto mode to turn off.   Which I found/find annoying - however that is an earlier body type... maybe people complained so it was changed in later models.

That's the same with the GD

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR

My GD doesn't do this? I quite often change where the airs coming from in auto mode.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

My GD doesn't do this? I quite often change where the airs coming from in auto mode.

Well that is interesting - I took from the O/P and reply to that (by pidim) that, like VaerO's, doesn't happen in the GD.  But pidim says it does... and we can't really account for it by 'regional' variation as all AU.

Maybe it is an configuration option i.e. dealer can set it one way or the other?

P.S. I checked driving to work and my memory was correct  :)
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Even though "Auto" turns off when making changes, it still maintains Climate Control mode.  The only car I have ever had that allows you to change from open to recirc while keeping "Auto" still showing was a Toyota Kluger I owned prior to my GD. 

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
Does the auto "lamp" go out when you switch air circulation modes on your GD?

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
See that's weird because mine doesn't...

Edit: What year is your i30? Maybe there's been some sort of update?

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
There could be. Mine is a 2012 model - as soon as they came out.  My model has heated front seats as well, but I think that feature was dropped shortly after.

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
Mines a MY2014 and also has the heated seats but it's a premium, so there must be an update.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal