i30 Owners Club

Timing belt or chain

John B · 21 · 29543

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Just a quick question does the 2014 petrol i30 have a timing belt or chain.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The manual I have doesn't cover the 1.8 petrol engine, but I think I recall a mention of a timing chain, this seems to be sticking in my mind as one of the fortunate changes that have been made, but don't quote me on this. Sorry I can't be more definite. :Pout:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
The manual I have doesn't cover the 1.8 petrol engine, but I think I recall a mention of a timing chain, this seems to be sticking in my mind as one of the fortunate changes that have been made, but don't quote me on this. Sorry I can't be more definite. :Pout:

Thank's Phil, If  I can't get a definite answer from here I will phone up the service department , just curious after realising the grandsons Elantra needs doing , hope it is a chain that would be good . Appreciate your help.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Not sure but memory tells me petrol has belt, diesel has chain.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My UK 1.6 petrol has a timing chain.

In the UK there are third party spares outlets where you can enter the reg. no of your car - or its specification - and then search for the appropriate spares.  If I carry out a search for a timing belt on my car it draws a blank - but a search for timing chain is positive.

Perhaps you can do similar in Australia.  Pop in your car spec. and then search for timing belt or chain.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- I was going to suggest eBay. Search for a chain/belt and use their compatibility checker to see whether what you select would be suitable.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Went on Ebay  tried looking up timing chains and belts can't seem to get any information. When I put the year and model in there search it came up with nothing. Did see one article stating that the new NU  1.8 engine has a silent timing chain but it mentions the new Elantra so if that is the same engine as the i30 it could be so. I don't know why but the info seems very sketchy. Will try again tomorrow. In the meantime I would appreciate if any one knows that has the latest i30 1.8 petrol confirming if it is a chain or belt .Thank's for your help fellers.

CarAdvice | Resource for Car Reviews, News, Advice, Road Tests, Green Cars, › Car Comparisons › Toyota Corolla‎
Review by Daniel DeGasperi
Feb 6, 2013 - Above: Hyundai i30 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine .... This new model has a timing chain and actually even the 6 speed auto is a fully sealed unit ... (  Found this review also but still not convinced.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 14:59:59 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
The old models had a chain, apart from the 2 litre model sold in Australia at one time. I'd be surprised if they'd gone back to a belt for the newer engines.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
my MY10 1.6 petrol Edition has a chain, if that's any help.

I know it isn't but I thought I'd just join in with the confusion  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Definitely a chain in the 1.8, John... :goodjob:
If you do a search you should be able to find previous discussions on the subject.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
my MY10 1.6 petrol Edition has a chain, if that's any help.

I know it isn't but I thought I'd just join in with the confusion  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
If you do a search you should be able to find previous discussions on the subject.

Thank's Rusty went on our forum search and yes your right ,you even stated on an earlier post the i30 had a chain, I prefer the chain to a belt. Did not think to search on here, it's got to be a senior moment.  :head_butt:  Sorry for giving you guys the run around but all your help was very much appreciated.   :goodjob2: . Lesson learned , search our forum first.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
'Tis ok, mate...always happy to help...... :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Why didn't I do dat.  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Thank's Rusty went on our forum search and yes your right ,you even stated on an earlier post the i30 had a chain, I prefer the chain to a belt. Did not think to search on here, it's got to be a senior moment.  :head_butt:  Sorry for giving you guys the run around but all your help was very much appreciated.   :goodjob2: . Lesson learned , search our forum first.

Mostly when you search Google about anything i30 related it brings up a post from our club/forum  :happydance: (that is how we have got quite a few of our members)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Mostly when you search Google about anything i30 related it brings up a post from our club/forum  :happydance: (that is how we have got quite a few of our members)

Thank's Dazz , because I just went on Ebay looking for belts and chains thats the reason it did not come up. I did google " does the new i30 have a timing chain or belt " but did not have any success . :Pout:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's all in how you google, John.....  :)

Try a search using these words:

GD i30 petrol timing chain

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
It's all in how you google, John.....  :)

Try a search using these words:

GD i30 petrol timing chain

Yes I know I need practice , have never played around much with my google's. :snigger: Anyway being serious now,  thank's Rusty I will give it a go.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Rusty practices a lot in his spare time and is now quite proficient at googling.  :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I'm better at ogling...  :p :lol:

:lol:   Yes and at my age that is all I can manage.  :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD