i30 Owners Club

Tyre pressures

Offline MisterWarby

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Canberra
So I had my Tucson devices at the dealership this week...... always happy with there service.... however, I have always ran the tyres at 35psi as per the tyres placard inside the door jamb.
As I was reading through the service paperwork they have noted that they rotated the tyres and inflated to 38psi....
Interested to hear the forums thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • i30 2016 Active X, 5 Door Hatch 1.8 petrol Auto

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
The tyre placard is a minimum pressure only. 38psi for your Tucson is a good pressure IMO. See my post history for other posts on pressures. Not all will agree but you'll see I've had the industry experience. 

Offline MisterWarby

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Canberra
Thanks Josh1990
Appreciate the info
It’s only taken me 40 odd years to be informed I’m doing it wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The tyre placard is a minimum pressure only. 38psi for your Tucson is a good pressure IMO. See my post history for other posts on pressures. Not all will agree but you'll see I've had the industry experience.
I think very few would disagree with your recommendation here.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I like the higher pressures for good even wear and surefootedness on the road, and usually run mine at 40psi
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Tyre shops love dealer recommended pressures. They're for comfort not tyre life. Its just taken as gospel as that's what it needs to be run at. I run our i30 at 38, my xr6 ute is 40f/45r (19s)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In 35 years in the industry, most of it in contact with dealers (both chain outlets and true independents), I don't think I've ever found one which would go with car dealer recommended pressures.

Comfort, yes. But a whole host of tyre wear problems which the driver would blame the tyre dealer for.

Hence, any of them with an ounce of care for their customers and repeat business would not go with a car manufacturer's tyre pressure recommendations.

Offline MisterWarby

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Canberra
Call me Captain underflation...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MisterWarby

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Canberra
Please forgive my ignorance as I come from an off-roading mindset..... lower tyre pressure = MORE contact with road.... bearing in mind I am not rock crawling in the Tucson, that is left to the Defender....I do however appreciate economy & equal tyre wear......

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Call me Captain underflation...

If you think the ride is a bit more harsh,  you'll adapt in a few days and no longer notice it.
Your tyres will thank you for it, with generally better and more even wear.
And most importantly,  should you find yourself in a situation where a sudden change of direction or heavy braking is required,  the tyres will keep a flatter footprint on the road and provide a much more sure footed response.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Please forgive my ignorance as I come from an off-roading mindset..... lower tyre pressure = MORE contact with road.... bearing in mind I am not rock crawling in the Tucson, that is left to the Defender....I do however appreciate economy & equal tyre wear......

Yes.
True. Lower pressure means more rubber on the road. At rest.
When you get moving, both in a straight line or cornering, a whole host of other factors come into play, as I mentioned in my above post.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Lower pressure means the sidewall will flex more, lifting a part of the tread ao the footprint isn't delivering an even pressure any more when you corner. So less grip.
And the lower the pressure, the more the sidewall is susceptible to damage.

Offline MisterWarby

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Canberra

Yes.
True. Lower pressure means more rubber on the road. At rest.
When you get moving, both in a straight line or cornering, a whole host of other factors come into play, as I mentioned in my above post.
Lol
I will stick my thumb in my mouth and blow hard
I will be inflating the I30 to be more in line with the Tucson tomorrow
Upon thinking about it..... of course it makes sense
Appreciate the advice

I don’t know how the Land Rover feels about it………
More dirt/ less bitumen perhaps

Offline MisterWarby

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Canberra
What do you run for daily driving on your i30?
205/55 R 16

Just rattling the can O Worms

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
205/55 R 16

My i30 had 15 " tyres but I have 205/55R16 on a Corolla . Both 38 psi.
Always remember it's the air pressure which carries the load (try driving with flat tyres).
So pressure is a critical part of you vehicle's maintenance schedule.

Offline MisterWarby

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Canberra
205/55 R 16

My i30 had 15 " tyres but I have 205/55R16 on a Corolla . Both 38 psi.
Always remember it's the air pressure which carries the load (try driving with flat tyres).
So pressure is a critical part of you vehicle's maintenance schedule.
I’ve had the displeasure of a blowout in a VP commodore at 100 km/h down the Hume hwy...... you certainly notice immediate deflation......

I feel like I am about to completely and unapologetically nerd out in an OCD fashion on tyre pressures for all vehicles......
Appreciate the advice as I’ve never received a straight answer from a tyre dealer...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting discussion as Tyre inflation always is. I do shudder when I see recommended tyre pressures of 32 PSI on a lot of cars. I generally  run 36 - 38 in mine, must check later what they are in the Camry at the moment. Must say I probably don't check them often enough.

Trish seems very sensitive to tyre pressures in her cars. she soon picks up if if snuck in a few extra pounds.. What have you done to my tyres! She has been known to pick up one tyre being only a few pounds less than others (before getting TPMS in the Kona)

She is happy with 34 - 35 but if I put 38 to 40 in she will soon complain her ride is too harsh or something.  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
She is happy with 34 - 35 but if I put 38 to 40 in she will soon complain her ride is too harsh or something.  :eek:

I'm like this too - up to 36psi is fine but increase to 38psi and speed humps (which are seemingly everywhere now) become severe and it makes me feel sorry for the suspension. 38 would probably be better though... may give that a try for a long-ish motorway trip in late January (if Boris permits travel).
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

I will also note that at lower pressures the sidewall works a lot harder and get hotter as a result.  This can result in a blow out - not so common these days but can still happen. Lower pressures are king off-road where that footprint is beneficial.  Ballooning is not what you're looking for on the road. I had 2 sets of tyres for my Patrol - 33x12.5R15 muddies and a set of 235/85R16. When heading off road for the weekend I'd run the muddies at a low pressure (12psi) but for long distance towing or just when not going bush I'd go the skinnies at 40psi. Better manners on the road, better economy, more stable towing,  cheaper to replace (she was a bit of a beast - stroked L28 (3.2L) running 15psi 277hp at all fours on the 33s).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:53:02 by josh1990 »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal