i30 Owners Club

Oil 2013 CRDi

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Quick question guys. I just checked my oil at the servo, after checking tyre pressure prior to leaving very early morning tonight to go to Nowra.

When I checked the oil it was at half. Car has 9400km. Is it normal for a new diesel engine to go through that much oil being new and the oil not have being changed yet?
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
The owners manual say it should be between full and low, so is that literally speaking or should it be on the full side, but not overfilled. That's how I always managed oil.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Some oil usage I would see as OK and low on the dipstick doesn't mean it's empty, just needs adding to.
I wouldn't be too concerned but would monitor it and probably at least register the issue with Hyundai service just in case it develops into something later on.
I'd say all good at this point though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Park the car on a level surface and let it rest overnight. Measure b4 starting next morning. That is the true level.

If necessary, add the correct oil back up to the F mark. The level shown on your original measurement is not dangerous to the engine, but a top up, if required, guarantees the best engine protection.

Both our Diesels, do not consume measurable amounts of oil, from one service to the next.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
So does it mean something may be wrong engine wise if it is at the level, with only going that amount of distance,  or that they may have not just filled it up appropriately when they put oil in it in the first place

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Both ours from where you filled the oil too,to it's next service has NEVER used oil (not noticeable on the dipstick anyhow) have you been checking the oil on a regular basis,(stoopid question) or is this the first time you have checked it since owning the car.

I would personally suspect your last conclusion,that the dealership has not correctly filled your sump,but in fact if you do check your oil regularly and it has used from the full mark to the fill mark in a short period of time,I would be concerned and asking questions of the dealership.

I just picked up on you saying the oil HAS NOT been changed yet,is it still got the running in oil in it,I know they say you can go the 15000 K between services,but NOT advisable with a diesel,OK for a petrol but strongly advised against with a diesel,both mine are changed oil and filter at 7,500 K's,I do the intermediate service myself (very easy to do) and all majors are done by my mechanic,though I could do them,I am pretty anal about correct servicing.

I am at the moment even at my age looking at getting my mechanical tickets re-enstated,so I can become accredited so I can do my own servicing,I am fairly paraniod about others working on my cars,as the last service,I found the mechanic had not tightened the gearbox fill plug,which could have worked out costly.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Either way I am sure the dealer will top it up for you. Either they stuffed up, or it needs to be topped up so that the oil use can be checked before the 15k service.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I just bought some oil and will check it cold, it is sitting level, was sitting level when I checked it after a few minutes of being off.

@Rick, haven't checked it until now. Will be after seeing it today every couple of thousand k's.

I'm thinking they didn't completely fill it, added some windshield wiper fluid as well. Some would equal 3 L. So they hardly even put any in. Probably hyundai wanting to save money.....

I didn't do the 7, 500km service.  If I did those I would be in the service centre every other month. I do a lot of distance with the job. Hopefully can find something better soon. I will probably do the intermediate services every other one.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:14:37 by TheReaper »

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
..... prior to leaving very early morning tonight to go to Nowra.

Is Dr Helen Maloof still down there?  What about Dr Ken Brock? 

Nowra is not the arsehole of the world, but you can smell it from there.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Hahahaha! No, neither are down there, there is a dr. Nguyen. And another, but can't think of his name off the top of my head at the moment.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I just bought some oil and will check it cold, it is sitting level, was sitting level when I checked it after a few minutes of being off.

@Rick, haven't checked it until now. Will be after seeing it today every couple of thousand k's.

I'm thinking they didn't completely fill it, added some windshield wiper fluid as well. Some would equal 3 L. So they hardly even put any in. Probably hyundai wanting to save money.....

I didn't do the 7, 500km service.  If I did those I would be in the service centre every other month. I do a lot of distance with the job. Hopefully can find something better soon. I will probably do the intermediate services every other one.

Thus the reason I do my own intermediate services (optional s) other wise one of mine would be in the workshop every two weeks,like you I do a lot of kilometers,I have one of ours in the shop every seven or so weeks,I average 1600 K's a week
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Oh you do get the fresh aroma of cow dung if ya roll down the windows! :rofl: I do love kiama but, could live down there.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
I've had to put in any where up to 2 litres between servicing in my car, and that's servicing at 15,000kms.

My car is due for its 45,000km service in about 1,000kms time and it currently sitting on 3/4 full, which I'm not going to worry about topping up.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I'm going to check mine at 2 am when I get up to leave tonight to check the true sump level

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@ H20'

How do you drive your car, vigourously or sedately. I find that level of consumption most unusual. I would be checking the washer at the oil drain plug, the oil filter seal and anywhere else in the engine bay for a possible leak. I don't think you could burn through that much oil without some visible evidence. Could you have a family member or friend follow you on a journey, to observe if there's any exhaust output at all.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I have some smoke in the exhaust, but that's only when I push the pedal down to zip around somebody fast and its not blue, and not much. my golf is the same way, but its a lot more productive on the smoke front, pretty black. Good for smoking out people who ride my bumper :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Black smoke is a function of Diesel engines, not related to oil at all. I wouldn't encourage production of smoke as it eventually gets into your oil and circulates until the next change of oil, can carbon the head and injectors and apparently carcinogenic.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
That's not good...... for the car I mean :lol: geesh, why does everything fun got to have consequences. .......

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
@Phil

I drive as conservative as I can. I don't push the car, or over rev it.

The book does say that it can use anywhere up to 1 litre per 1000kms.

No smoke at the back.  I've had people follow to observe and nothing unusual.

No oil leaks either.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unlike some people, I absolutely delight in seeing a healthy Diesel truck hauling hard up hills and just heat shimmer from the exhaust pipes.

Probably not in my time but one day it will be from burning hydrogen and there will be no pollution.  :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Phil

I drive as conservative as I can. I don't push the car, or over rev it.

No smoke at the back.  I've had people follow to observe and nothing unusual.

No oil leaks either.

:Dunno:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Reap, it's not something I'd lose too much sleep over at this stage...
I had the same thing when my i30 was new. I topped it up and it's never been an issue between services since....  :victory:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
@Phil

Holy Cow if My cars used that much oil, 1 I would be looking at rebuilding the engines,either that or I would be buying 44 gallon drums of oil,as I would going through them at a rate of one every three months.

As said previously,both mine have never(touch wood) used any oil between services,on average between the two of them they have done over 200,000 K's

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Unlike some people, I absolutely delight in seeing a healthy Diesel truck hauling hard up hills and just heat shimmer from the exhaust pipes.

Probably not in my time but one day it will be from burning hydrogen and there will be no pollution.  :happydance:

Any truck you see pouring plumes of black smoke out of the stacks,the owners may as well just be throwing money out of their drivers windows,because all your doing is pouring unburnt diesel out of the stacks and most you will find have ramped up their pump pressures in attempt to get more horsepower,but there is a limit after that limit your just throwing away money,I'm like you love seeing a rig hualing up a hill and just seeing the continual steady stream of heat haze from the stacks and the deep throated growl

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Checked my oil before heading to Nowra this morning. True level sat between 3/4 and full. Didn't bother to add any oil.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Any truck you see pouring plumes of black smoke out of the stacks,the owners may as well just be throwing money out of their drivers windows,because all your doing is pouring unburnt diesel out of the stacks and most you will find have ramped up their pump pressures in attempt to get more horsepower,but there is a limit after that limit your just throwing away money,I'm like you love seeing a rig hualing up a hill and just seeing the continual steady stream of heat haze from the stacks and the deep throated growl

Then I think about the miserly little stream coming from the i30 and have a quiet chuckle.  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Checked my oil before heading to Nowra this morning. True level sat between 3/4 and full. Didn't bother to add any oil.

For some reason it takes ages for all the oil to drain down on the diesel, and which is why, I suspect Phil said to leave it overnight in reply 3.  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I had a car once that I was training to use no oil at all.
I just kept reducing the amount of oil in it week by week.
It was going really well but just after I got it down to no oil, it died.  :(
It's a shame because if it hadn't, I'm sure it would have proved my theory that oil in cars is superfluous.  :neutral:
Perhaps I should have started with a newer car.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You need to re evaluate your training.  :Shocked:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal