i30 Owners Club

Swapped engine. Won't start.

steve79 · 65 · 14118

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
one thing not saying this is relevant but makes it hard to have confidence is I see the intake manifold is 28310-2A730, using the vINs for both it says 28310-2A610. Looking at gary's image you can see that but 730 appears to be a frigid zone option. weird.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :head_butt: Been busy as hell too.......................

I missed the the correction to the donor and original motor data. Ive been assuming Steve had just mistakenly reversed the vin # s.

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

Reassemble the 2007 motor and swap it for a 2009-2012. Job done.

:blubber:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I missed the the correction to the donor and original motor data. Ive been assuming Steve had just mistakenly reversed the vin # s.

@nzenigma  You did'nt miss it, I struck through last night. So in a nutshell his car was in fact 2009 model march, and the donor was in fact 2007 july.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@nzenigma  You did'nt miss it, I struck through last night. So in a nutshell his car was in fact 2009 model march, and the donor was in fact 2007 july.
:goodjob2: :goodjob2:
Now I feel better.  Was u that sober lash nite?  :wacko:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:goodjob2: :goodjob2:
Now I feel better.  Was u that sober lash nite?  :wacko:
don't remember,  :winker: :goodjob2:

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
Finally get my hands to go to the garage. Kids are satisfied mother i law are happy.  It's just me that are unhappy 😂😂

it seems like some of the parts are same

High pressure pump

Fuel rails

• I30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Steve, could you humour me with the engine numbers stamped on each of these. I think it lives concealed somewhere around the EGR on the block.

Things simply are not adding up at all. yes both pumps are the same but how?

I assume the top picture is your old cooked motor (circa 2009) and the bottom is from the wreck ( 2007)

How is it based on the VINs your car March 2009 has a pump fitted that was made  19 Sep 2011 and the wreck of July 2007 has a pump made 04 Dec 2008

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I was going down the engine number route too. Will hold my breath until you find them.
tw do you also have my suspicion that this is not the original 07 motor?

Steve said the egr was different so he changed them.  :undecided: However, I asked computor who said no... they are the same.  :scared:

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
sure i will look up the engine number .   this just make mer more frighten if i do get another engine will i bump into the same problem.
my engine the manifold there is a pipe going into the EGR its on top of the manifold, some engine have the pipe under the manifold.

1) if a engine that have the pipe going under the exhaust manifold , then a lot of parts ex intake manifold, turbo routing, water pipe are not the same routing.

2) if the exhaust manifold have the pipe ontop, then i assume everything its bolt on and its compatible to my cooked motor.

i compare back and forth conclusion is , WHAT DAME ENGINE WILL FIT MY CAR , HAHAHAHA....

• I30 crdi

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
I went to our Swedish site junkyard and compare rhe engine both have same power 116 bhp but different exhaust manifold

My cooked engine have the picture number 2. The manifold routed the correct way.

However when I bought the used engine the manifold was routed Pic number 1. 

• I30 crdi

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
picture   "A "diesel pump is the new engine

Picture  "B" it's the cooked engine

Both have same part number

• I30 crdi

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
Fuel line

Are this connection correct?

The more I go through it the more I question myself

• I30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Fuel line

Are this connection correct?

The more I go through it the more I question myself

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I was going down the engine number route too. Will hold my breath until you find them.

Steve said the egr was different so he changed them.  :undecided: However, I asked computor who said no... they are the same.  :scared:
No idea what's going on, I've never had the data from the catalogs not match up with the VINs. Nothing is right here at the moment, we now have a 2009 car with a pump 2 years younger and like wise with the early 2007, it has a pump made after it left the factory.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
red in fuel in from item 6 on filter, orange, fuel return

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I've been following from the start and all I can say is that my head farrking hurts.
Will continue to follow and inflict more pain,  until the little farker starts  :wacko:
It will be a case of : 3 cheers.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: :MeToo:

I'm hoping it happens this year, but running out of days!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

No idea what's going on, I've never had the data from the catalogs not match up with the VINs. Nothing is right here at the moment, we now have a 2009 car with a pump 2 years younger and like wise with the early 2007, it has a pump made after it left the factory.

I looked at the pictures, my head started to hurt, so I went to Jan's party so that her pain  :drinks: this morning would be worthwhile.

Steve, I Agree entirely with tw above, thats why we asked for the engine number, at least for the donor ..... waiting.  :whistler:
The manifold arrangement in pix  #2 is what we have in Oz. Never seen #1 here. All I can guess is that its to accommodate your early DPF which we do not have  on the FD or GD i30.

Now this DOES trouble me.
I asked you to crack a line to the injectors to see if you have high pressure fuel. Got no response   :whistler:
Your fuel line question above suggests that you haven't even established a fuel supply? Mate thats like try to listen to a radio that does not have a speaker.  :crazy1:

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
sorry mate,

i just went back to double check everything. thats why i asked about the fuel line routing (since you can get the connection wrong). i connected my launch x431 diagnos tools. tested a few components. pump, sensor pump, check the injectors. everything was correct.

fuel rails sensor i just swap over again with the other sensor i had.  now i need to bleed the system again.   

sorry i didn't answer your question nzenigma. yes i did try to crank and see if there are fuel coming to the rails and there was. but i will check and see what pressure i get on my diagnos tools.

i will take down the engine number tomorrow. sorry for all the late reply since we have a big time different. 

today i got a email from a tuner . he only said that 90bhp and 116bhp have different software. he could not help me.

since I'm getting P0341 . i still think if there are possible both engine have different voltage signal, sensor are the same, but the reading have set different signal on the ECU?

ECU its not my area, but it just make me curious what range difference both engine have. 

• I30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
P0341
sorry mate,

i just went back to double check everything. thats why i asked about the fuel line routing (since you can get the connection wrong). i connected my launch x431 diagnos tools. tested a few components. pump, sensor pump, check the injectors. everything was correct.

fuel rails sensor i just swap over again with the other sensor i had.  now i need to bleed the system again.   

sorry i didn't answer your question nzenigma. yes i did try to crank and see if there are fuel coming to the rails and there was. but i will check and see what pressure i get on my diagnos tools.

i will take down the engine number tomorrow. sorry for all the late reply since we have a big time different. 

today i got a email from a tuner . he only said that 90bhp and 116bhp have different software. he could not help me.

since I'm getting P0341 . i still think if there are possible both engine have different voltage signal, sensor are the same, but the reading have set different signal on the ECU?

ECU its not my area, but it just make me curious what range difference both engine have. 

Can you see live data for the cam sensor? Just reading teh DTC, Fail safe is fuel cut so P0341 cuts fuel. also intermittent connection, short to gnd, faulty sensor are the listed possibles. Says if either more or less than 2 pulses seen for every 4 of the crank sensor triggers P0341. reference voltage is 5V. A high or pulse is anything above 3.8V, a low is anything below 2V

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Is 5V at Pin 1

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Also INJ Fuse 15A, (no.10) eng fuse box , check it is good

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Looked at that and did same as you must have..Noooooooo.... not THE fuse  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Looked at that and did same as you must have..Noooooooo.... not THE fuse  :crazy1:
you must be quiet, standby for incoming transmission

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :laughter:

I laughed  :juststopthere: more alcohol please

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
yes i have checked the fuse all of them was ok .   

TW2005 thanks for the  wire diagram . i will test the electric parts. I'm new to launch system i gona see if i do have that function for cam sensor voltage test.   

here are the engine number

pic number 1  cooked engine

pic number 2 new engine

• I30 crdi

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
im gona try to play with it a little not very familiar to launch system . i get back to u once i find the function for that,  :sweating: :sweating:

• I30 crdi

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
i believe the number was the head number i took.  sorry wrong engine number .
  • I30 crdi

Offline steve79

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      europe
TW2005   i really appreciate your help.    :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • I30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
i believe the number was the head number i took.  sorry wrong engine number .
They were part numbers, neither came up,  I'm after engine SERIAL numbers .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 22:34:33 by tw2005 »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal