i30 Owners Club

oil dilution

Offline Passat77

• 1st Gear

• Kecskemet
Hello!
I have a recurring question.
My engine oil level rises due to the frequent DPF regeneration (60-90km). Looking back at previous posts, this was a problem for others. Did you manage to find out what caused the car to regenerate so frequently in others? Was it really just the particulate filter that was clogged? Some people think that the ECU software is at fault... My car is an i30 1.4 CRDI.

Thanks if you can help!
  • I30 1.4 CRDI

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Bummer you've had no replies - I have a 2017 CRDI myself - oil levels seem ok, I always use top quality C3 rated oil - change at 10k intervals or so.

I can't assist with the ECU info etc - but personally I find the Hyundai management of active DPF activation incredibly poor & makes things worse for drivers. The model I have (1st gen PD) gives no indication at all to the driver of the DPF's status nor when the ECU initiates an active DPF burn.  Yes, folks will tell you that you can sometimes tell when this is or has been - but it's often hard to pickup on - hence the driver will often turn the car off when it's midway through this, making it worse.

I've no idea why Hyundai couldn't have done what every DPF fitted car I'm aware of does, which is to have an icon on the dash to SHOW to the driver when it's doing an active DPF clean - these vehicles will generally tell the drivers in the manual to allow the car to continue to run until this light goes off.

But no, Hyundai did nothing like this - so it's really a guessing game. Very poor - and beyond this I'm really unsure why there couldn't be an easy way through the menu to see a simplification of how the DPF is doing - hence you could decide to do a long highway trip etc - just to clean it out.  Again Hyundai in their wisdom chose not to do this - go figure.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Me sees a possible aftermarket opportunity to incorporate a display live reading the OBDII data to indicate DPF burn status. :workitout:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal