Customer Complaints

AlanHo · 6 · 2836

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I was discussing fuel economy, dual mass flywheel reliability and DPF reliability with a VW service manager I chatted to recently.

He said that VW have had lots of problems with DPF's - but more often than not it was because customers had only used the car for short journeys and the DPF never had a chance to regenerate.  Dual mass flywheel problems were also exacerbated by poor gear changing and allowing the car to lurch.

He also admitted that the most common complaint from customers was fuel economy being well below the published data. But more often than not this was due to drivers wearing lead boots - or not using the correct gear to suit the driving conditions.

He said it was standard practice at the dealership when people complained about the DPF or fuel economy, and insisted that it could not be due to their driving style, to sit them down with a coffee, take the car to the workshop, plug it into the computer and take a print-out of the last 14 day's journeys.

He said that most customers were surprised and shocked to be shown that they had been regularly cruising at 90 mph, or accelerating wildly, or not using the correct gears, or just using the car on short journeys, or whatever......he spent a few hours every week trying to educate complaining customers that it was them and not the car at fault.

I must admit that I did not appreciate quite how much historical data is stored by some cars for diagnostic purposes.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

I must admit that I did not appreciate quite how much historical data is stored by some cars for diagnostic purposes.

The cops in USA is the info to hang you, in the event of an accident too.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Very interesting post. Would love to see that face drop on some customers when they see their driving style in black and white.

Yeah the ECU stores a lot of information about your driving, didnt realise it was so detailed tho...
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Interesting Alan.

Also PSA have (had) same problems with the dual mass flywheel, as it is the same supplier of flywheels.

I haven't had any problems with my DPF so far, it regenerates now and then.

Can anyone tell if the flywheel in my 2008 CRDI is massive or dual mass..??
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, it became very difficult at work to say you only reached, say 160 km/h during a high speed pursuit, when the data showed it was 200. :-[
Difficult to argue with.
Truth in calling became the norm as a result.........
  • Tertius the i30

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Its surprising and slightly worrying that they store that much detail :Shocked:
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal