i30 Owners Club

Amazing MPG in my CRDI

succulant · 63 · 20832

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
It seems to me that the overriding factor to getting good economy is the way you drive it and the conditions you drive in. 

By the way my odometer showed exactly the same distance covered as our old Rover did when I did a short journey in both this morning so I suspect the odometer is correct or its a hell of a coincidence.
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Xamaxy
Your measurement by first click is approximate and if you filled ~3 liters less you get ~0.5l/100km better average.

What i mean is that you have great car and excellent economy, perhaps not 4l average, instead 4.5l, but still excellent!!! :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It seems to me that the overriding factor to getting good economy is the way you drive it and the conditions you drive in. 

I would be interested in your assessment of my steady speed test using cruise on a flat road for 6 miles at 60 mph without driver input which resulted in an average of 58 mpg shown on the trip recorder in virtually ideal conditions. Followed by several similar tests without cruise which produced almost exactly the same figure. Do you know of any other way to drive it so that I could achieve your outstanding economy.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Xamaxy
Why would your i30 be any measure of best possible economy achievable?

And what you said is only a part of "ideal" conditions. How much soot does your exhaust have compared to his? Oil difference in gradation and how recently changed? Tyre pressure? The fact that there are no two the same cars? Hyundai says 4,4l open roads?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Why would your i30 be any measure of best possible economy achievable?

I was careful to state :-

This proved that the best economy my car was capable of was 58 mpg (4.9 L/100km) in ideal conditions at 60 mph

I am convinced that my car is not typical and that other members have cars capable of great economy - mine isn't.

Xamaxy
No answer to ideal conditions you mention?

Add 0,5l on his average due to measurement fault and you get perfectly normal and possible economy.

Yea, saw that "my car", but i thought it was quite funny, since you go all-in in every "good economy" topic to point out that it is impossible to have that good economy since you never achieved it with your econ driving style and supposedly ideal driving conditions.
I take your numbers to be what 98% of all i30 CRDi are getting!

Best fill                                              55.28 mpg (5.1 L/100km)
Worst fill                                            42.25 mpg (6.7 L/100km)
Average to date over 13000 miles        48.92 mpg (5.8 L/100km)

There is 1% with far worse, and 1% with far better.
Dude here with i30 crdi stated he gets 5.0l average in city driving easily. We were all like c'mon, cut the crap, not possible. Well, he proved us wrong!!
Blessed with good thick nerves for easy driving and looks like perfect engine and it was true in the end.

This is similar with your jokes about tuning boxes, you had one installed by totally incompetent mechanic and now they are all magic and create liars from people...

You are all on the same island, go make i30 owners club UK meet, and finally get some real proof of amazing mpg, or total mistake.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

No answer to ideal conditions you mention?

Add 0,5l on his average due to measurement fault and you get perfectly normal and possible economy.

Yea, saw that "my car", but i thought it was quite funny, since you go all-in in every "good economy" topic to point out that it is impossible to have that good economy since you never achieved it with your econ driving style and supposedly ideal driving conditions.
I take your numbers to be what 98% of all i30 CRDi are getting!

Best fill                                              55.28 mpg (5.1 L/100km)
Worst fill                                            42.25 mpg (6.7 L/100km)
Average to date over 13000 miles        48.92 mpg (5.8 L/100km)

There is 1% with far worse, and 1% with far better.
Dude here with i30 crdi stated he gets 5.0l average in city driving easily. We were all like c'mon, cut the crap, not possible. Well, he proved us wrong!!
Blessed with good thick nerves for easy driving and looks like perfect engine and it was true in the end.

This is similar with your jokes about tuning boxes, you had one installed by totally incompetent mechanic and now they are all magic and create liars from people...

You are all on the same island, go make i30 owners club UK meet, and finally get some real proof of amazing mpg, or total mistake.

I think that you need to read my signature..................... :rofl:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Your measurement by first click is approximate and if you filled ~3 liters less you get ~0.5l/100km better average.

What i mean is that you have great car and excellent economy, perhaps not 4l average, instead 4.5l, but still excellent!!! :goodjob:

I agree its approximate so to satisfy my own curiosity tomorrow I shall fill the car to the brim, frothing and all, and run it down till the light comes on. It will take about 3 weeks to empty it though with the miles I do.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
For those of us who fill to the brim, it's just a matter of going slowly with the nozzle removed slightly from the tank inlet, I can then see the froth in the filler tube and achieve a steady flow. Eventually the froth will rapidly rise to meet the nozzle, so stop & trickle the last bit in. Remember, this will alter your fuel economy for the kms traveled, it will appear worse as you filled the tank to a higher level. The next fill will be your true figure, assuming you brim the tank again.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
It will take about 3 weeks to empty it though with the miles I do.
There is nothing magical about emptying the tank. Refilling after half emptying should give a good indication. The critical thing for accuracy is to ensure the fill/refill is to the same point, i.e., brimmed. :goodjob2:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire

I would be interested in your assessment of my steady speed test using cruise on a flat road for 6 miles at 60 mph without driver input which resulted in an average of 58 mpg shown on the trip recorder in virtually ideal conditions. Followed by several similar tests without cruise which produced almost exactly the same figure. Do you know of any other way to drive it so that I could achieve your outstanding economy.

Nope, I think its more down to the car. My car is a Comfort model with 15" alloys,  if I'm not mistaken yours is a Premium with 17" alloys and harder suspension because of that. If so a quick look on the 'Wise buyer' website shows the manufacturers official economy figures for mine as

Fuel Economy: Urban   49.6
Fuel Economy: Extra Urban   68.9
Fuel Economy: Combined   60.1

and yours

Fuel Economy: Urban   47.9
Fuel Economy: Extra Urban   65.7
Fuel Economy: Combined   57.6

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
It will take about 3 weeks to empty it though with the miles I do.
There is nothing magical about emptying the tank. Refilling after half emptying should give a good indication. The critical thing for accuracy is to ensure the fill/refill is to the same point, i.e., brimmed. :goodjob2:
Yes I'll brim it again once its run down otherwise its a pointless exercise. I do think though that running till the light comes on will be more accurate as if I fill it again at the halfway point then the car will only have been run at its heaviest point. 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No 2 cars which are all intent purposes the same will perform the same.

This will be down to many factors such as:
tyre size
tyre tread depth
tyre pressure
road conditions - smooth/rough/tar/concrete
roads empty/busy/really busy
fuel brand
oil use
manual or auto
weather - hot/cold/wet/dry/wind yes/no
believe it or not whether the car is clean or dirty
age - car and driver
journey duration - long or many short or a mixture of both
ete etc etc

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Drive a couple of feet behind a large truck to get an aero tug

I only just caught up with this thread and it has certainly opened up the discussion!

This bit caught my eye though - sounds very interesting. I don't think I've evr had one of those before.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

I only just caught up with this thread and it has certainly opened up the discussion!

This bit caught my eye though - sounds very interesting. I don't think I've evr had one of those before.  :undecided:

Apparently it's an air hostess specialty, db80. :rofl: :rofl:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I did this whenever I could when I had my little Honda 250cc Outfit......  :lol:
Top cruising speed normally was around 80kph but if the truck was doing 100kph, then that was the top speed for my outfit... :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, in the slipstream like racing car drivers do.
I'd just never heard it referred to as an "aero tug."  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Yes, in the slipstream like racing car drivers do.
I'd just never heard it referred to as an "aero tug."  :whistler:

You can hardly call the buffeting vacuum behind a big lorry a "slipstream" - hence my terminology.
I often invent words in order to do my bit in expanding the English language and thus confuse Americans who spend full time mangling it..............

Would you prefer it called rear end yanking? ....... :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:05:41 by AlanHo »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well Alan, I liked your made up word..... :goodjob2:

What sort of a word is slipstream anyhow? There was no water involved with my maneuver behind the truck whatsoever.... :p

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Apparently it's an air hostess specialty, db80. :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: We're thinking along similar lines......
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I did this whenever I could when I had my little Honda 250cc Outfit......  :lol:
Top cruising speed normally was around 80kph but if the truck was doing 100kph, then that was the top speed for my outfit... :happydance:

rustynutz, it's good to see you started practicing safe motorcycle driving techniques from a young age. I hope you maintained the recommended safe 2 second gap and had a plan B if the truck stopped in a hurry :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If he did that he wouldn't have been in the vacuum area, just in wake turbulence.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

If he did that he wouldn't have been in the vacuum area, just in wake turbulence.  :fum:

I went to an Irish wake once - and there sure was a lot of turbulence after the guinness kicked in.............. :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

rustynutz, it's good to see you started practicing safe motorcycle driving techniques from a young age. I hope you maintained the recommended safe 2 second gap and had a plan B if the truck stopped in a hurry :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

I wasn't that young when I had that bike, UM....  :D
As for braking, I reckon the outfit would easily have outbraked the truck.

Oh, and it's "riding" techniques..... :winker:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Ok its taken a few weeks but I've run down the tank and brimmed it again this afternoon to the point that I had a little bit of diesel running out of the filler. It covered 741.5 miles and took 53.79L of fuel. I get that to work out at an average of 62.62 mpg overall.

It also cost me £77.30 to fill, but that's another thread I recon....

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
62,62 mpg = 4,51L/100 km - that's nice  :goodjob:

Exactly what it is set at in the brochure, isn't it.. :question:.

What is your average speed during this tankfull.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
What is your average speed during this tankfull.. :question:
[/quote]
I never re-set the average speed trip before this tankful so i don;t know but most of the driving was on country and motorway roads commuting to work at 60mph.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I thought diesel was expensive in Australia. Until now.  :faint:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal